PS4 Update with improved share features coming soon!

Hate the "clink" noise the ps4 makes when restarting after updates :D

Scary sound!

Has anyone tried to take screenshots off of the console and put them on an external HDD? I have a few screenshots I would like to take off of my PS4 but I don't want to have to share them on Twitter or Facebook first.

They have moved the "Delete" option from under "Remove Disc" when click options with a game disc in. Saves you from losing everything if you have finger trouble. Tried the Dimmer function for the DS4, not really that much of a difference really, I though the difference between "Bright" and "Dim" would be more marked. And there is now an option for a screensaver, I cant remember seeing that before.

Has anyone tried to take screenshots off of the console and put them on an external HDD? I have a few screenshots I would like to take off of my PS4 but I don't want to have to share them on Twitter or Facebook first.
Just tested it for you... works great, and is very quick and easy to do.
I used a USB key (rather than a HDD), and transferred a screenshot from a couple of months ago to my Mac.

Just tested it for you... works great, and is very quick and easy to do.
I used a USB key (rather than a HDD), and transferred a screenshot from a couple of months ago to my Mac.

Thanks, that's exactly what I want to do (transfer onto a USB stick and put on a Mac to edit :D).

What I'm curious about is what sort of changes might have been made under the covers in this release. One tidbit that I have noticed is that my (Sony) TV now says '1080p 12bit' when I switch over to the PS4. It previously just said '1080p'. Something to do with Deep Colour...?

who gives a F*** about share ..yes its a nice to have but its not a core feature of a console ..DLNA first , then 3D BR & Games..all the addon nice to have stuff last

We still don't really know if Share is fixed.

This might just give us the ability to make a montage of footage we actually didn't even want to save as PS4 had decided to only save gameplay from about 2 hours before you pushed share.

----

Still... A PS+ logo next to our names!!!!! Yayayayayayay. It's what I've been asking for all along :):):)

I thought id always had a PS+ logo next to name?

who gives a F*** about share ..yes its a nice to have but its not a core feature of a console ..DLNA first , then 3D BR & Games..all the addon nice to have stuff last

I'd argue that sharing game footage and screenshots is more of a core feature for a games console than streaming movies is.

I'd probably share stuff more if it was easier to do so.
eg: why can i not click on a friend and see his shared captured video footage within the XMB?
Or save some footage, and then "message" that to someone? or add it to my profile (shared footage)?

Anyone got a Vita and updated both it and the PS4?
Just wondering if you can Remote Play with a USB headset plugged in now...

Err I think you've bought the wrong console.

PS4 is a games machine first and foremost. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

and what is our "Plus" for anyway? Can we not get a little space/account?

Our plus pays for the upkeep of the server infrastructure, as well as the cost of licensing the free games we get.

We do get some space for game saves, but if we could also save video and screenshots on 'the cloud' (hate that term) then Sony's space requirements would rocket. If they did that, I'm sure the cost of a plus sub would increase to cover it.

Sony don't have the luxury of already having a large cloud based storage system like Microsoft do with SkyDrive (or whatever it is called now)

sure we’re all up to speed with the list of major changes made for the latest and greatest PlayStation 4 firmware, which has gone live this morning, but what about the little stuff? The minor tweaks which never get the spotlight, but can still make a big difference?

Stepping away from the changes that we know about already, here’s a quick list of some of the hidden features of the 1.70 update that we found while fiddling around with it this morning:

• The Virtual Keyboard has a new shortcut: hold L2 and press triangle to quickly switch to and from the symbols layout. Should make typing in my horrifically randomised password a little easier…

• Sony can now send you notifications “From PlayStation”. If you wanted slightly shoutier adverts, you’ve got what you wished for.
  • Turn off HDCP in Settings > System when you want to capture footage with an external device, but you’ll have to turn it back on when you next want to watch a Blu-ray film or hop onto Netflix:

• There’s some new Blu-ray management options under the Video Playback Settings. You can set a default Language, delete cached data and decide whether or not to let your films have internet access.
  • There’s a “Noise Reduction” setting that has been added as an option during playback.
  • I’ve been told that you can force 5.1 audio over HDMI even if your amp is designed for 7.1.
  • You can have the PS4 automatically dim the screen with the Start Screensaver setting under Sound and Screen:

• There’s some fresh privacy options under PSN > Privacy Settings > Real Name and Profile Picture. If you let someone see your real name, this makes them a “Close Friend”, and you can now decide if they see your real name in-game (which may then appear in saved videos and screenshots) and if their Close Friends can also see your real name and details.
  • TV & Video apps can now be started by voice, and ”Save video clip” and “Start video clip” have been added to the voice commands library.
Hidden behind the larger changes to the share functionality have been some slightly smaller ones:

• The little logo to head to your Capture Library from your profile page is now a camera and a slice of film, rather than a non-descript folder.
  • The Capture Library also has a great big square all to itself on the main PDM menu:

• You can set the length of video clip that is automatically cached by the share system. It can be changed to 1, 3, 5, 10 or 15 minutes long – with 15 the default – in a setting that’s under Share Settings > Video Clip Settings.
  • Share Factory is a separate 942MB download. It’s also utterly baffling to get started with, so you can check out the manual here.
  • USB Export works with drives formatted in both FAT32 and exFAT, but not NTFS or HFS+. exFAT support is great because it supports files that are large than 4GB in size and larger hard drives than FAT32.
  • Using the USB export feature, I’ve checked a few captured videos, and can say that the PS4 captures video at 720p with a bitrate that varies between 5Mbps and 9Mbps.
Now, while I can’t do much broadcasting myself – my internet connection is awful – there have apparently been changes to that system too, as revealed by the notes on the USB install download page:

• Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select Broadcast Gameplay in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select Upload Screenshot or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select Upload Video Clip or press the Square button.
  • You can now set the audience on Facebook for sharing your screenshots and video clips.
  • Share Settings > Video Clip Settings > Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording is now turned on by default.
  • The screen layout for when you are broadcasting has been improved.
  • Stop Broadcasting is now under Broadcast Settings.
  • You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
How about you? Have you spotted any little tweaks and changes that we’ve missed?

Sources: PlayStation, me fiddling around with my PS4.

Sony are never gonna give us usb media support, they want us to buy from them instead.

I'd argue that sharing game footage and screenshots is more of a core feature for a games console than streaming movies is.

it has lovefilm , netflix, iplayer and vidzone ..

I am not saying the sharing is not a nice to have feature but DLNA and 3D are on last gen consoles and should be a core part of the new system imo

I flogged my ps3 and 360 to make way for the ps4 and xb1 , so have now lost what I would have thought would be built into to the next gen systems as standard

would you buy a windows without notepad and calculator ?

I am not saying the sharing is not a nice to have feature but DLNA and 3D are on last gen consoles and should be a core part of the new system imo

I'd like to see the PS4 handle DLNA and the ability to play media off memory sticks, but it is a games console first and foremost. Sony have always said this. I'm sure we'll get it eventually, but games related features will be Sony's priority.

I flogged my ps3 and 360 to make way for the ps4 and xb1 , so have now lost what I would have thought would be built into to the next gen systems as standard

I kept hold of my PS3 due to the lack of media features on the PS4. We knew that sort of thing would be missing from PS4 well before the launch of the machine.

Yes. I don't use the system notepad or calculator ;)

Do people still watch 3D films?

Yes...but probably not the best comparison.

Would you buy a coat without pockets? A coats function is predominantly to keep you warm and dry. You can always buy a bag to carry the stuff you'd normally put in the pockets.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom