Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS4 and XB1 possible launch network issues

Discussion in 'PS4 Forum' started by zt1903, Oct 28, 2013.

1. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Nozey

Nozey Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,212
    I love that we're getting right into the depths of the release window and the rumour mill has gone nuts !
  3. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    What do you mean "gone nuts"? It's been nuts since long before launch!
  4. Nozey

Nozey Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Not like this though, I bet if you trawled NeoGaf you could find a report that the XB1 is 92% jam. ( I'm not complaining - this is what builds the excitement ! )
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. windoesnot

windoesnot Member

Ratings:
    +174
    So long as any PS4 network issues are sorted for the UK launch I couldnt care less, let the Americans be the guinea pigs :rotfl:
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    One of the scary things about all of this rumour is that a while back CBOAT had posted that there was an "ass storm" coming at launch for XB1. Consensus seems to be that this isn't it!!
  7. kingwaldo

kingwaldo Member

Ratings:
    +20
    As someone who uses both xboxlive and psn my money is on the psn having more issues than xbox live although every consoles have a few glitches at launch.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    lets not try to kid ourselves, Live and PSN are huge software projects not trivial little services. They are both going to suffer issues and such like when the launch happens, I doubt they will be full on crashes but I would expect a couple of planned "upgrades" in the following weeks as neither Sony or Microsoft can test a system with the sort of load that is going to hit when the public fire up their new purchases. That is not so much the volume of users is the issue but that many using the service after a minute or so there will have been more time for a random bug to appear than the whole of the test schedule prior to release.

We have day one system patches, likely day one game patches and I think its not exactly stretching the boat to guess at day one server side patches as things come online.

No doubt both sides are working their asses off, lets just hope it all comes together to form something half decent for us launch early adopters. :thumbsup:
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BRADY4GOAT

BRADY4GOAT Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Its just a rumor nothing more, neither company would let this happen. EA yes but not ms and sony
  10. mudshark

mudshark Active Member

Ratings:
    +484
    I think we are all being a bit naive if we expect everything to be working day one but it may be an advantage this side of the pond, with millions of American QA techs :thumbsup:
  11. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    I'm expecting the worse, I think most should do aswell if it does work then we'll be overjoyed :p
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    Maybe, maybe not.

As Turk3y says above these are major projects. Glitches, bugs, etc are to be expected and will get patched over time, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, however what we're hearing appears to go way beyond bugs.

MS, in particular, are making a huge change to how XBL works this generation for reasons around which I do not really understand the technicalities. The main areas of contention appear to be the interaction between the three operating systems and the network connects and disconnects that go on between them. Integration of Skype for VoIP and moving from a customised OS to Win 8 appears to add layers of complexity to the situation.

Sony have an advantage this time round of not being/feeling compelled to integrate their own proprietry products to their console, allowing them to build their own customised solution from the ground up that only has to service the needs of their console.

One thing that I keep in mind when hearing these rumours is how much gameplay, OS and online functionality have I seen live demoed or experienced myself. This tends to favour the PS4 at the minute where we've seen a ton of OS footage, we've seen remote play demoed, we've seen yosp launching and joining a game of KZ.
    • Useful Useful x 2
  13. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Active Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Anybody that uses the phrase "ass storm" has to be regarded as suspect.... :eek:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. XasharK

XasharK Member

Ratings:
    +124
    With the Americans getting it two weeks before us hopefully Sony will be able to fix anything major that crops up before we get a hold of it.
  15. Nozey

Nozey Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,212
    I assumed that was a technical term...

[ERROR #4050] : Potential Ass Storm
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. RedAl

RedAl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,577
    Its something my wife has put up with since meeting me 15 years ago :rotfl:
  17. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    Trawling through the huge thread that has erupted on GAF I came across this post which I thought was quite sensible.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    It was an interesting read, it seems from the rumours,comments, links ect that Sony is in better shape than Microsoft is in, but you cant expect both Live and PSN to be flawless from the get go, both are adding to and changing their infrastructure so there is bound to be teething issues, after all they cant really test until everyone starts pounding the networks.

It's like with any server/ network setup you can run all the tests & simulations you want it cant really prepare for the real thing, at least we in Europe have a little time to see how it goes while the Americans see first hand how it fairs maybe by the time we launch if there are indeed problems they are somewhat sorted out.
  19. leamspaceman

leamspaceman Active Member

Ratings:
    +994
  20. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    Can't watch this at work (well not with sound on anyway). What's the gist of it?
  21. RedAl

RedAl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,577
    His final (supposed) bombshell is that the day one Sony update disables DRM on the PS4 which proves it was planned for PS4 all along but Sony removed it when they saw the "ass" storm that enveloped MS on the X1.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Darth_terra

Ratings:
    +555
    I dont believe it's as bad as what the guy in the video is saying or to to be fair his resources, the games like drive club & watch dogs being delayed because of network issues, i don't see it why because there are other games that are not being delayed that use online like battlefield 4, Assassins creed 4 , need for speed rivals all the EA sports games none of these have been delayed or any reports that online would be an issue for them.

As for the COD thing again online wouldn't dictate the resolution of the game, if there are issues online that would be a latency problem which has nothing to do with what resolution a game is running in.

looks to me there there is a ton of rumours floating around and people trying to link them together to get stories and not much actual thinking.

I'm not saying there might not be any problems just not the reasons the guy in the video is giving.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. zt1903

zt1903 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,069
    Ah OK. This is the thing that @yosp tweeted was completely stupid then?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. FadgewackeR

Ratings:
    +367
    I pretty much call BS on a lot of that... COD being dropped to 720p on both consoles because the XLB/PSN are having issues? Original console software having DRM enabled and this meaning that the whole PSN needs re-building? Is this guy usually reliable???

For the record, I did need a sh1 t, but now I don't... and I haven't even been! That'll be because of PSN/XBL not being ready too...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. mudshark

mudshark Active Member

Ratings:
    +484
  26. Det

Det Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,648
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Darth_terra

Ratings:
    +555
    it was in reference to the whole video as some one also asked him about COD being 720p on PS4 because of the supposed PSN issues which was also claimed in it.
  28. Nozey

Nozey Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,212
    Wha ? - why would dropping the res from 1080p to 720p help PSN/XBL issues ?
  29. FadgewackeR

Ratings:
    +367
    EXACTLY :clown:
  30. Darth_terra

Ratings:
    +555
    it wouldn't that's why many including myself think that what the guy in the video said was just wrong.