1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 system restore??? what does this do

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by stefan_uk, Mar 27, 2007.

1. stefan_uk

stefan_uk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    As the title says, not sure what this does can anyone explain to me, i have an idea but want it clarified, cheers
  2. leicesterlad

leicesterlad Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Erm.... restores the system presumably back to factory settings.

Go on do it:devil:
  3. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    No it doesn't. You can backup the PS3 internal drive to an external USB drive. The restore option can re-install your back-up (just like backup/restore on a PC).

If you select restore, the PS3 will look for files on a USB drive/card with folder PS3/Export/

Backup & restore work without problems (I've used it on the JPN PS3 I had).
  4. Steve-L

Steve-L Member

Ratings:
    +153
    No, not quite! I fell into this trap last night. I used the backup option under system settings to backup the PS3 hard drive. After rebooting it I selected "PS3 System Restore" (or similar) and all it does is format the hard drive and wipe your PSN details :eek:

To do the restore you must first select the Backup option and then select "restore" from the sub menu. Even then when it is actually restoring your data the screen says "backing up data..." :suicide:

There is also a further option to restore factory settings - what that does that the other system restore doesn't I have no idea!

Someone at Sony really should look at re-designing that part of the menu system...