1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Sound Problem - menus have sound, games and BluRay films don't

Discussion in 'PS3 Hardware' started by rlonghurst, May 2, 2007.

1. rlonghurst

rlonghurst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody,
    I have lurked for a while and really appreciate all the advice, help and opinions... NICE.

I have a PS3 connected to a Pioneer Plasma via HDMI and a Denon amp via an Optical Cable.

It worked fine - great picture, sound on games. Splendid.

But then I come to play today and there's sound on the PS3 menu (click-click-clickety) and game sounds when the Motorstorm game icon is highlighted in the PS3 menu.

But when I play Motorstorm, there is no sound at all.

I tried Black Hawk Down on BluRay - sound on the DVD menu, lovely, but no sound playing the actual movie... [Screams]

I checked the settings - optical cable is checked, Dolby Digital is checked.

I can't understand how the menus have sounds, but the films / games don't.

Sound works fine using that funny connector cable supplied with the PS3.

Oh, and then to make me scream even louder, all Sky HD channels tonight have no sound...

All help and suggestions hugely appreciated!

Richard
  2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Sounds like its outputting sound that your amp doesn't support, have you tried changing the output modes for sound output?
  3. rlonghurst

rlonghurst Member

Ratings:
    +0

Yep, thanks Jim. I have checked the output on the PS3. Sky HD has been working perfectly through the amp for months, so it's strange that it should stop working now.

Would a BluRay film output sound differently to a BluRay menu?

Very hard to explain...
  4. cooldawn

cooldawn Member

Ratings:
    +74
    OK, bear with me.

I use the VideoLogic Cinema System which is a few years old but performs well enough for the room it's in. it's hooked up to my PlayStation3 via optical.

I have the same issue.

When I boot up my PlayStation3 and the theatre system I get sound fine. All the clicks and all the music from the previews on XMB are audible. However when you select a game or Blu-Ray film the PlayStation3 resets itself (flashes grey for a split second and changes settings according to media). At this point the signal from my PlayStation3 no longer filters through to my suround system. To rectify this I have to roll through the inputs until I get back to optical and then it filters the sound again.

Could this be the answer to your query? Try to select a different source and then go back to optical. The surround system may pick it up.
  5. co55ie

co55ie Member

Ratings:
    +42
    check that the blu ray settings on your PS3 are set to output a bitstream rather than linear PCM over the optic cable.
  6. purplepower

purplepower Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask if this was ever rectified? - I have spoken to another forum member via PM & he informs me his solution was to get a new PS3... I have a 60GB o am quite unhappy at the prospect of having to do so :(

It's quite annoying, as my problem is the same as above. I get audio in the XMB, & on the preview for a game via the tiles but nowt when I go into a game :(

Any suggestions? :)
  7. amita

amita Member

Ratings:
    +55
    This exact same problem has happened to me - PS3 has been working fine for over a year, and suddenly yesterday, no sound via optical except for the clickity click and the sound when you hover over a game icon on the games XMB. Still get sound via HDMI when i try outputting with this to my TV. Am i looking at a PS3 fault needing repair? :(
  8. scotty 1972

scotty 1972 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    in sound settings try changing from lpcm to bitstream
  9. Mark 1971x

Mark 1971x Member

Ratings:
    +6
    PS3 Sounds likew it's duff
  10. Mark 1971x

Mark 1971x Member

Ratings:
    +6
    best get out tomrrow and buy another
  11. amita

amita Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Ah ha, turns out it was the amp, not the PS3 after all! Connected the PS3 to the optical input on the front of the amp and it worked perfectly! But both the PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to the rear optical inputs won't give sound in 5.1 though both give sound with non 5.1 sound. Must be a problem with the amp, phew!
  12. Djdoubleclick

Djdoubleclick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem and this is what I did.
    Settings>Sound Settings>Audio output settings and changed from HDMI to Audio Input connector/Scart?AVmulti
    I previously reset the PS3 and it asked to use HDMI for Video and AUDIO and i realized that I was only using HDMI for Video and using the basic cable for audio. So If you reset your PS3 recently try switching the audio setting...I hope this helps out those who didn't find the above solutions effective.

D.
  13. sroditis

sroditis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get any crackling noises or just no sound at all?
  14. kermit1986

kermit1986 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've had this occasionally with some games, and it's not due to my amp not being compatible with the format the PS3 is outputting.

For some reason when a game jumps straight into DTS (may be other outputs too) the sound goes dead (after being fine on the menus etc).

I quickly turn my amp (LG home cinema dvd unit) off and on and it works fine.

It's happened today with "InFamous" (hence my finding this topic via google), but it's also sometimes happened with Killzone 2. However with Killzone I exited back to the main menu, and then tried the game 2 more times and it worked on it's own (without turning off and on my amp).

I think it's definitely optical related, just not sure what the ultimate fix is for this issue.

Anyway, hope I shed any helpful info to this topic.
  15. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,149
    i think in your case, its your LG system..
    if you go into the LG forum, there are several points like this, and some systems where DTS is just dead completely, yet with a firmware update, or "fix" it works fine.
  16. Ritchie147

Ritchie147 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay can someone please please help me.... I have a really similar problem to this but slightly different.
    I have had my ps3 for a while and I have a samsung ZT310 surround system 5.1. My connection set up is Ps3 HDMI to TV. Tv Optical lead to Samsung surround. Sky HD HDMI to Tv.

This morning after a bit of research i realised that my settings for sound on the PS3 werent what they should be. I have been in to the settings and set it up to HDMI then to dolby digital 5.1 being ticked (before this i had it on automatic this is manual). I also from another thread changed a few settings so i dont get too uch voume increase whilst watching movies on Blu Ray.

This worked great for my Blu rays and now the surround sounds even better. However i have no sound in games? The XMB noises are there but when it comes to any (including downloaded from playstation store) games there is no noise at all.

I can set the settings up manaully again bit that takes away the 5.1 Dolby digital setting on the settings leaving me with the Linear pcm 2ch 44.1Khz. Is this right? Is it wrong? How can i have sound from everything else the ps3 does but not games? Agghhh! Please help. Thanks

Ricthie147
  17. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Is it set to Optical bitstream or PCM?
  18. Ritchie147

Ritchie147 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Optical. If i set to bitstream i get no sound? at all!
  19. cols

cols Member

Ratings:
    +529
    Video settings > audio output format (optical) should be set to bitstream. Linear pcm over optical is only 2ch, for surround sound over optical it has to be bitstream.

In sound settings choose optical, then tick dd, dts, and 2ch pcm.

That should be your sound settings sorted.
  20. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    +1

there's your problem. As colspark said PCM over optical is only 2ch. Needs to be set to Optical Bitstream
  21. Johnny5ish

Johnny5ish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having a similar problem but I am using HDMI for both audio and video.
    I am getting sound fine in the X media bar (ps3 menus), but when I went to play Modern Warfare 2, the sound was completely absent.
    I had just installed the resurgence map pack so I thought it might be caused by the update itself.
    This was driving me nuts as I'm sure I is with everyone else.
    Some of the info I found online suggested that it might be something wrong with my ps3.
    This was not correct.
    I finally plugged in the old RCA AV connection (red, yellow, white.) reset the ps3 AV settings (while off hold power down until 1 beep, release then hold down again until 3 beeps, release then hold down a third time for 3 more beeps.)
    Sound worked fine after this so i knew it wasn't the game or the ps3.

Anywho, after messing around with all the settings and reinstalling game patches, map packs after trying the different AV cables, I found the answer in the audio settings of course.

I went into audio settings and selected HDMI, moved right then changed it from auto to manual selection, then went right again to the next menu, I changed a bunch of things like AAC, 5.1 DTS, and 5.1 and all the other linear blah blah blah.
    I have no idea what most of them are but mess around with them and it should solve your problems.
  22. theScarbro

theScarbro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A SOLUTION TO 'PS3 NO SOUND DURING GAMES' (when using an optical digital output)

i.e. clicky noise on the PS3 menu but zero sound when playing a game

...I'm just posting this because if like me you've been trying for a while to fix this problem (and you've no doubt been reading through heaps of old forum threads and have even thought of sending the unit off to a repairers!!) then try this as it worked for me.

What DIDN'T work was resetting the systems settings to default on the PS3, or playing around with the Sound and various other related settings i.e. HDMI etc.

The PS3 is not the issue (well, maybe it is linked to the problem) The issue is an input setting on your amp / surround sound.

So what DID work was to go into the settings on my surround sound unit - in my case a Panasonic SA BT330 and (in my case) going into> Digital Audio Input > Digital In > and changing PCM-Fix from On to OFF - as I say, all on the amp / surround sound system NOT the PS3.

To confirm though, the sound settings on the PS3 (after the system default settings manoeuvre) are currently:
    Audio Output Settings> Optical Digital > Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. (selected) and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz (default selected in grey)
    I also have Audio Multi-Output On
    Oh, and I am "using my HDMI as Video and Audio" which I had to do to get a picture.

You can also try running sound through the TV via your HDMI cable, not as good but a temporary fix - the above settings on the PS3 should enable this - just turn up the volume on your TV as opposed to your surround sound / amp.

No idea what caused the sudden change in my system to stop it from working: gremlins, the fun-police or maybe aliens, who knows but I hope this reply saves at least one person some time and grief - I registered especially to pass on this message, it is my chosen task in life...

G-out
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  23. JOVEMED

JOVEMED Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all i found the solution,

go to system settings> restore default setting....go throug the process and it should be back online :)

PS3 over xbox anyday!
  24. arailleus

arailleus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THIS HAS ONE SIMPLE FIX GO TO SOUND SETTINGS ON PS3 . GO DOWN TO THE SECOND SETTING AND IT SAYS ALLOW SOUND TO PLAY THRU MULTIPLE TYPES OF CONNECTIONs. IT DEFAULTS ON NO SWITCH IT TO YES AND YOU WILL HAVE SOUND.
  25. theAnswer

theAnswer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of alllllll the solutions none of them worked but this certianly did!

Go to audio settings on the PS3
    Selected the the HDMI option
    Go to manual set up and unselected the Dolby Digital option!

TA DA
  26. musicjimbob

musicjimbob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If your PS3 is connected to your TV via HDMI and you are also using a soundbar with a TosLink from the TV you will need to turn off 5.1 output in the PS3 sound menu. If you don't any game with 5.1 sound will not work through the soundbar - although you will still be able to hear the menu music!
  27. 5ilence

5ilence Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this exact same issue today while playing FFXIII-2. PS3 dashboard menu made sound, but games and movies did not. Heres how i solved my problem.
    1. Turn your PS3 off, wait until solid red light.
    2. Press the power button, keep finger on the button until you hear another beep from the PS3
    3. It will say on screen that an HDMI device was detected, would you like to use HDMI for video/sound (not a direct quote)
    4. say yes
    5. confirm you can see whats on the screen, say yes again.
    6. test your game/movie
    7. stop screaming at your television

Hope this helps you guys. It only takes about 20 seconds to do.
  28. sylar9326

sylar9326 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have all the Uncharted games and the Remastered HD Collection of Jak and Daxter but theres no sound. All other movies, games and blu-rays work aside from the naughty dog games. I own a Logitech x-530 and only uses red and white cords to the t.v and using HDMI from the ps3 to the t.v. What is wrong? Is it the games, the t.v(restarts itself) or the ps3? can anyone help? :(
  29. Longevity

Longevity New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this was my exact issue. after i changed that on my surround system everything worked perfectly. finally I have full surround sound through the ps3 sound. :clap:

thank you so much for that tip dude

fyi i have everything set to bitstream and i have checked off dolby, dts and aac.

my god i am so thankful to this guy lol. I registered here just to let you all know that the pcm-fix setting could be your issue on your surround sound system. This is absolutely confirmed.
  30. chrono550

chrono550 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys i'm reading all this info and wondering if my Turtle beach earforce DSS2 is just crap.

i have the Jak and daxter collection HD, my dss is showing a light saying its getting digital optical signal while on the menu of the ps3, it flashes off and back on when the game loads, and i have audio in the menu where you choose between jak 1, 2 or 3. but if i select a game. digital output light turns off and all audio goes dead.

i've verified the audio will transfer over hdmi to my monitor, but that is just crappy stereo.

i've already reset the ps3 system tried different output methods like dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 or aac, i know it is set to output to the digital optical. so does this mean i'm just stuck up a creek with a dss2 surround sound decoder that cant decode my ps3 games but works fine for my xbox 360 games?

*edit*
    was able to fix it by following these steps.
    1. turn ps3 off.
    2. Hold ps3 power till it beeps 2 times
    3. answer yes when it asks about HDMI for video and audio
    4. go to sound settings, select Digital optical>dolby surround 5.1(*ONLY THIS OPTION*)
    5. go to Audio Multi-Output, turn it ON

after that my DSS2 picks up the signal perfectly and it still outputs stereo through the HDMI as well if needed.
    *end edit*

Thanks,
    Chrono550
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012