PS3 Slim System Fan / Blu-Ray Drive Noise Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figured this was worth a new thread.

But I was just wanting to get peoples opinions of the noise of the Slim.

I have just spent the last hour setting it up, swapping my 320GB hard drive from my phat, formatted it, installed the firmware upgrade and now finally on the desktop.

The PS3 has been emitting a very grating high pitched whining sound throughout.

Just turned it off and back on again and as soon as it went back on the whining sound is immediately back.

The console is about 5 to 10 times louder than my 40GB console which I am obviously very annoyed about.

People in some other threads are saying its quieter than their 80GB's so I am not sure if this is just a defective slim, or my 40GB was freekishly silent.

The high pitched whining sound as I say is very grating and making me want to turn it off. So I am guessing watching a blu-ray while this going on would be impossible.

To get a frame of reference I would say its definitely on a par with the noise made by my Jasper Xbox360 case fans, but much more irritating due to its pitch.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas on a fix?

Last edited:
Could the drive me ever so slightly loose?

Is it worth trying the original 120G HD to rule out any issue with your 320G?

I'll be doing the same process tonight but figured I may stick with the 120G initially....

I'd take it back mate and get a swap, mine is extremely quiet to the point that I can barely hear it.

I'd take it back mate and get a swap, mine is extremely quiet to the point that I can barely hear it.

Wish I could take it back but it was bought from Sendit

Ok status now is I have removed the hard drive and put in the original, turned it on to find I cannot do anything as I have updated to FW3.0 and need to re-install it to this drive via USB key (I am getting No Applicable Update Data was found, please connect the storage media which contains version 3.00 or later).

Problem is FW 3.0 is not showing for PC download just yet.

I have also given it large free space to ensure it definitely would not overheat and it is still noisy.

I couldn't watch a film with this going on. Just posting this message now with it going on I feel like Robert De Niro at the start of Once upon a Time in America where he suffers a life of the high pitched telephone non stop ringing in his head for betraying his trustworthy 40GB PS3 (I edited the last bit :D).

Sorry to hear your having problems mate, can you not send it back to sendit then?

Sorry to hear your having problems mate, can you not send it back to sendit then?

Thanks Ben, I think I am going to have to, but am in two minds whether to contact Sony and ask them to do a door step swap instead. I am just concerned that if I get another one it does the same, as I'd rather keep my 40GB if so.

Am I the only one with a noisy Slim?. As surely most have got theirs now.

As I say its definitely on a par of the Jasper Xbox360 case fans. But much more irritating due to the pitch of the whine.

Call Sony and do it through them - the process will be easier and it's a doorstep swapout.

Call Sony and do it through them - the process will be easier and it's a doorstep swapout.

I'm on hold now with them. Want to see what they have to say on it.

Can you not return it and then cancel the order all together then purchase it from a shop so you can just walk into the shop to swap it over if you get another dodgy console?!

Its probably worth giving sony a call tho, see what they suggest.

To get a frame of reference I would say its definitely on a par with the noise made by my Jasper Xbox360 case fans, but much more irritating due to its pitch.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas on a fix?

That is the normal sound.

The 80gbs are about the same as a jasper without a disc.

The slims are on par with an 80gb model.

Exchange it for your peace of mind but you'll have the same thing.

Oh and for anyones reference, nosie has always been an issue for me, I've had loads of ps3s, the quietest one being the first batch of 40gbs.

I've had 3 slims due to local exchanges and they've all be about equal to the 80gb ps3 I recently sold on these forums.

I won't be using a ps3 for movie playback, I'll use my silent pc.

Last edited:
Just telephoned up Sony's 0870 number, on hold for about 10 minutes to get through to their Indian Call Center.

The person as usually couldn't understand me. He said nobody has complained about the noise of the slim and it is 30% quieter that the larger models. :rolleyes:

Part of me wishes Indecisive Jay didn't post what he did just above, and another part is hoping that he is incorrect.

I cannot accept a 80GB console was as noisy as a Jasper. My 40GB was almost totally silent with the absolute slightest low murmur to it that was also quite relaxing.

This thing is like choking a cat.

But back to Sony he has said I must contact the seller and get them to deal with it and if I don't like it under UK law I have 28 days for a full refund?

I corrected him that I am sure it was only 7 days. He said that as far as Sony is concerned its 28 days, so I said could I have you put this down in writing on your system to confirm this.

Which he refused as its the retailer that gives the refund not Sony and he said 7 days should be more than enough to send this console back, get another one, test that and then send that one back too if I don't like that.

But he stated categorically nobody, nobody has ever complained about the noise of the PS3 Slim to them.

Part of me wishes Indecisive Jay didn't post what he did just above, and another part is hoping that he is incorrect.

I cannot accept a 80GB console was as noisy as a Jasper. My 40GB was almost totally silent with the absolute slightest low murmur to it that was also quite relaxing.

Regardless of what anyone says on here if you're not happy with the level of noise you're going to exchange it anyway as you've mentioned.

I would bet my life on you getting a slim that sounds exactly the same.

I'm sure you'll update the thread anyway once you've got had your replacement.

Oh and with regards to you not believeing that an 80gb could be equal to a jasper without a disc or even louder than a 40gb due to likely the 80gb using the 65mm gpu and cpu, I can assure you that even though the 80gb cpu and gpu uses smaller die sizes and therfore less power than a 95mm 40gb, the cooling isn't as good, it uses a cheaper fan which therefore produce more noise.

Sorry to hear your having issues, what you are going through is something that I feared. Its unfortunate but after reading this thread it has finally convinced me to keep my 80gb as I do not have any issues with it at all.

Just like with all consoles before it, some PS3 slims are louder than others, it's pot luck as to how quiet your machine will be

Just telephoned up Sony's 0870 number, on hold for about 10 minutes to get through to their Indian Call Center.

The person as usually couldn't understand me. He said nobody has complained about the noise of the slim and it is 30% quieter that the larger models. :rolleyes:

But back to Sony he has said I must contact the seller and get them to deal with it and if I don't like it under UK law I have 28 days for a full refund?

I corrected him that I am sure it was only 7 days. He said that as far as Sony is concerned its 28 days, so I said could I have you put this down in writing on your system to confirm this.

Which he refused as its the retailer that gives the refund not Sony and he said 7 days should be more than enough to send this console back, get another one, test that and then send that one back too if I don't like that.

But he stated categorically nobody, nobody has ever complained about the noise of the PS3 Slim to them.

To be fair mate, your contract is with the retailer. If I were you I would take it up with them.

My slim has a fan that can be heard but no whining noise at all, if it did it would be going right back, your slim sounds like it is defective mate.

Mark.

My 40GB is almost silent too; It'd take wild horses to part me with my quiet machine :D

I had so much hassle with my 360s blowing up and sounding like a hoover, I am in bliss with this PS3. I guess it'll die eventually, but there's no reason to swap it now, seeing as the slims sound like they can be loud just like previous 20/40/60/80 GB units.

You sir, are out of control. :D

The guy thought I was nuts.

Where I'm overly paranoid though I thought I was just "unlucky" and was on a hunt for that "silent" ps3.

I done the same thing with previous 80gbs, I'd go into stores and check serials CECHK, CECHL and CECHMs for the elusive smaller cpu and gpu, therey were still too loud for a picky moany git like me.

With all these noise threads, I find that they end up making paranoia worse because bob down the roads always psots that his ps3 is silent, but his hearing is awful, or he sits about 20ft away in his mansion, or his wife is always on the phone and drowns the nosie out, but it just makes you paranoid and sets you off on chasing what doesn't exist....

To be fair mate, your contract is with the retailer. If I were you I would take it up with them.

I know, I was just wanting Sony to assure me that I have not just wasted £225.

For a retailer the consoles fan being a bit noisy, isn't really a defect.

Plus if I get another one and it is noisy, and the 7 days will likely then be up, then Its going to be very difficult to get a refund on this basis.

Plus to add to all this www.saynoto0870.com is offline today for some reason so cannot get Sendits non extortionate number. :mad:

I should put the lottery on the day, as the ticket would probably give me a paper cut and cause an incurable infectious disease with my luck. (before anyone asks a bunch of other things have happened today too) :)

I know, I was just wanting Sony to assure me that I have not just wasted £225.

For a retailer the consoles fan being a bit noisy, isn't really a defect.

Plus if I get another one and it is noisy, and the 7 days will likely then be up, then Its going to be very difficult to get a refund on this basis.

Plus to add to all this www.saynoto0870.com is offline today for some reason so cannot get Sendits non extortionate number. :mad:

I should put the lottery on the day, as the ticket would probably give me a paper cut and cause an incurable infectious disease with my luck. (before anyone asks a bunch of other things have happened today too) :)

Yeah I can appreciate that, I would just ring sendit (when you can) and say it's making a god-awful screeching noise that sounds like something is broken and that you'd like another (or a refund!).

god-awful screeching noise that sounds like something is broken and that you'd like another (or a refund!).

But to be fair and honest, it is not that bad. It is just a constant high pitched noise that is more and more grating the longer its on.

My argument is you couldn't possibly relax down and watch a movie through it as it is a very invasive noise.

So therefore I am in two minds whether it is faulty, or if the slims have just naff fans in there. But surely someone else would have complained about this as I am nothing unique with my auditory sensibilities.

On another note after less than 90 mins this thread has had 350+ views. Seems my plight is certainly entertaining a few people.

How is the blu-ray drive noise ? :cool:

Louder than old PS3s or not. When spinning and accessing data and also when loading the disc and ejecting.

Any slower loading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom