Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3: Play HD mpeg movies from USB stick of External HD

Discussion in 'PS3 Media & Streaming' started by Tjopper, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Tjopper

Tjopper Member

Ratings:
    +4
    After some searching on the Internet and trying some stuff I have found a way to play large (>4 Gb) HD mpeg files by using a USB stick.

I am using a 16 Gb Sandisk Cruzer Contour and that's works perfectly for me.

The movies I used for testing are all being converted with MKV2VOB to a MPEG file. The files vary in size from 6 - 14 Gb and all movies played
    excellent by using a USB stick using the method as later described.

Time to explain how it works. Thanks to all the people who already posted parts of the info I used in my explanation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of al you need to get 2 programs:

AVCHD Me.exe:
    AVCHD Me.zip

TSmuxer:
    tsMuxeR - Download - Download CHIP.eu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Rename the MPEG bestand to [titel].m2ts

2. Create in de root of your USB stick (or external HD) a folder named AVCHD (all letters in capitals)

3. Start TsmuxerGUI.exe

4. [Input tab]

Input files: add [titel].m2ts file

Output: select ‘Create Blu-ray disk'

Browse: choose the AVCHD directory on your HD of USB stick as output directory (example N:\AVCHD)

5. [Split & Cut tab] Splitting: select ‘Split by size every' 4 Gb

6. [Blu-ray tab] Chapters: select ‘Insert chapter every' 5 minutes

7. Select Start Muxing

The following folders will be created under the AVCHD directory: BDMV en CERTIFICATE

8. Copie the file AVCHD Me.exe in the AVCHD folder

9. Activate AVCHD ME.exe (double click) and you get a confirmation that the files have been renamed

10. Connect your HD of USB stick to your PS3

11. Goto Video via XMB on your PS3 and select (push X) on the HD or USB-stick pictogram and you will see the AVCHD folder

Select (push X) that folder and the movie starts playing as the Ps3 now thinks that it contains a 'mini' Blu-ray disc

Pay Attention! Point 11 will only work for movies with a resolution of 1920*1080 or 1280*720
    If this is not the case you will get a large green bar on the bottom of the screen

If the resolution differs, for example 1920*800 then you have to do the following:

- Goto the XMB menu of your PS3 and choose:

Settings -> Video settings -> Sequential playback -> On

- Select HD of USB stick pictogram -> press [triangle] -> select ‘Display everything'

- Browse to: AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

- Select the first MTS file to play it

Because you have chosen for sequential playback alle files will be played after another with no interruptions.

Searching in a HD movie

Fast forward or rewind won't work well or at all when using L1 or R1 while playing a HD movie. However, you can browse to a scene in the movie
    because of the chapter creation as described in point 6.

- While the movie is playing press [triangle]

- Choose the symbol [3 stripes with above it bent arrow to the right] (Scene search)

- Choose an interval between 1 and 5 minutes

- Select the scene from where you want to go on

I hope that this explanation will help you in playing your favorite movies. Comments and additions are welcome.

Have fun ;)
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I'm sorry, but have i missed something ?

You say you can play bigger > 4GB files, but in fact you're splitting them when you process through tsMuxer (step 5), so they're not > 4GB files any more.

Why didn't you just split them using mkv2vob in the first place, thus rendering this entire post pointless......unless, as i say, i've missed something... it just seems that you're doing something that's completely unnecessary....

Also, why are you re-muxing to a Bluray AVCHD folder format, thus introducing the green bars, why not just play the original mpg as it is ?

The fact is, now sequential playback has been added it kinda nullifies all the problems of > 4GB files...

My solution :

1. Use mkv2vob with splitting enabled
    2. Copy split files to USB stick
    3. Plug USB stick into PS3 and play files
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. lchiu7

lchiu7 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    While I haven't tried this perhaps one reason for creating a mini BD disk structure is that the PS3 can play media with DTS audio that way. Just creating a bunch of m2ts files or vob files won't provide any audio if they are encoded in DTS since the XMB can't do that.
  4. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880

err..MKV2VOB has had the option to convert to AVCHD with auto file splitting and retention of the DTS codec for about the last two versions so I'm afraid negates all of the OP's instructions
  5. lchiu7

lchiu7 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps so but let each person make their own discoveries! The concept is the same - just the manner of execution.

Now if Sony would provide the facility for playing content with DTS audio from the XMB, that would be nice and negate all this AVCHD nonsense
  6. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yeah but one way is a ****load easier than the other!

I doubt they're ever going to do that...
  7. lchiu7

lchiu7 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yep, that's a common tool that mkv2vob'ers are using once they've created multiple AVCHD folders.
  9. ColdKilla

ColdKilla Member

Ratings:
    +21
    or just copy the larger files over with ps3 server or tversity or such like
  10. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yeah but depending on your mkv2vob settings you may not get DTS audio and definitely won't get 24fps or soft subs.
  11. sundean

sundean Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to put multiple video to play in my ps3 but the ps3 play only one movie from the root if you named the folder AVCHD if you create folders separate the AVCHD video is not play with subtitle (AVCHD 01 or AVCHD 02...)
    If you renamed the folder AVCHD is not play and i find the movie only if i press /\ "triangle" in G:\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM but is not working with subtitle.
    So, How to insert multiple AVCHD on external HD root and play on my ps3 with subtitle. :lease:
  12. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Read the media guide, link below, there is a whole section dedicated to multiAVCHD and how to create multiple AVCHD instances in one folder, achieving what you want.
  13. sundean

sundean Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: i try now multiAVCHD 4.0 :rolleyes: