1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Not playing my Blu-ray discs

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by vansteps, Sep 5, 2009.

1. vansteps

vansteps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Since installing the latest firmware 3.0 my original PS3 is having trouble playing blu-ray movies. It began with freezing during playback and has now progressed to not recognising any blu-ray disc I put in the machine. Yet it still sees and plays my games ok!

Any help or advice you can give?
  2. askpackers

askpackers Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Hmm I have the 60Gb version and use tesco dvd rental and also it failed to play the blue ray we had from them, I sent it back as faulty but it did play one of my own disks. I have been thinking maybe the optics need cleaning and have been wondering whats the best way to clean it? Has anyone used these disks that clean the optics ?
  3. vansteps

vansteps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it could be the optics, but why would it play games and dvd's?

4. Silver Arrow

Silver Arrow Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Am having a similar problem, unfortunately it won't read any disks at all, only happened since the update the other day.

Have a feeling this may be costly.

Andy
  5. mrapriliafalco1

mrapriliafalco1 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    mine has also stopped playing all disc, sony quoted me £99.Mine happened before the update
  6. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. pacificdragon

pacificdragon Member

Ratings:
    +16
    My PS3 has suddenly stopped over the weekend it will not play any blu rays or games, yet I can still go to the playstation store and download games and still play games I have downloaded from the PS store.

Has anyone managed to solve the problem as yet, if not what is the best way to contact Sony to see if they can solve the problem.

I have the first gen PS3 that is compatible with PS2 games so not overly keen in swapping it as none of the new consoles allow this.
  8. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Have you tried the methods suggested in the thread i linked to above your post?
  9. pacificdragon

pacificdragon Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Still at work at the moment so not been able to do anything, I've sent an email over to Sony for them to have a look, I've seen a few of the PS websites several people are talking about the same problems so at least I know it's more likely to be the latest firmware that has caused the problem as opposed to general wear and tear etc,
  10. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    Yes could well be a corrupt firmware install.
  11. pacificdragon

pacificdragon Member

Ratings:
    +16
    If this is the problem is there any way to go back to the latest version, I kinly asked one of my friends if he could install the latest version and the same problem has now happened to him ( so I'm very popular )

Although he has had time to mess around and says one of the other user account he has set up works fine i.e. he can play games and watch dvd's on the other account but not his main account. ???? Seems very strange.
  12. nu774ll

nu774ll Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i've got sort of the same problem....

Brand New PS3 slim (came from the darkside) which i had basic instinct on Blu ray with it, on the day it came i also got a lovefilm blu ray through, Condemned, so a new film. This was the first time i had used the PS3 for Blu rays so when i put the condemned blu ray in was searchign for ages to see where to play it as it didtn auto start and no discs were shown i kept trying, even cleaning the disc but got nothing except i noticed when i put teh film in it made a funny noise, like it sucked the disc in then began to read then it seemed like the disc was moving into antoher drive below as its seemed like it droppped in my PS3 then a load more disc reading, but nothing.

I tried teh basic instinct blu ray and it worked perfect as did a normal dvd so im wandering why this disc wouldnt play?
  13. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    No you can;t roll back but you can download via PC and install from USB. this is generally seen as a safer method for firmware updates.
  14. amardilo

amardilo Active Member

Ratings:
    +274
    I'm having a similar issue. My PS3 (last of the old models bought just after the slim was announced) stopped playing Blu-ray films. I can put in a PS3 game and the disc shows up in the XMB but if I put in a Blu-ray film it doesn't show up.

I was watching a Blu-ray film and when it finished I hit the stop button ejected the disc and put another one in and it didn't play.

I've tried a few different discs and none show up any more. I mainly use my PS3 for Blu-ray films and to watch TV (via PlayTV) and it's been fine up until now.

I checked and I am running the latest firmware. Anyone else have this issue before? If it's a hardware issue and requires a repair does anyone have contact details for Sony?