Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 knackered? Will play DVDs but not Blu Rays

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by muddymonster, Apr 2, 2009.

1. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 60 GB PS3 began its illness by not playing a blu ray film now and again (about 2 weeks) ago, and now it won't play any blu rays or games. :(

It will play DVDs and PS2 games.

I have a 500GB hard drive, and read about how some people have got their PS3 working again by doing a full format.

I bought my PS3 18 months ago (from Zavvi :rolleyes: )

As a last resort i may sign upto Continous Play, but i'd rather try and keep hold of my machine.

Any ideas guys?
  2. Bribrian

Bribrian Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Looks like your blu ray drive has passed away, i'd sign up to continuous play...
  3. jase4772

jase4772 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    My 60g PS3 the other day freaked out during WaW and then wouldn't show game discs. DVD's and Blu-Ray movies both played fine and for me I noticed the parental level was set to 9 and the Blu Ray region was united states. After turning off the parental control the game disc icon reappeared and its been fine since.

Don't know if this helps but it did for me. How weird????
  4. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jase i'll have a look at that tonight.

I actually tried this trick last night

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIJp3JZLgJk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIJp3JZLgJk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

YouTube - PS3 BLU RAY PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and somehow it seemed to work now and again.

This has convinced me its a software problem, so i will try a full format, and unfortunately say good bye to 350GB of movies and recordings.
  5. quidditys_shore

quidditys_shore Member

Ratings:
    +128
    cant you just backup everything to an external harddrive? i did that when going from a 60GB to 320GB harddrive. did it on my 160 GB ipod classic!
  6. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I might use my 80GB Ipod to hold some stuff, but the problem is my PC has only got about 2Gb free space! So it will take a while to swap files over.

There's no way to plug the Ipod directly into the PS3 and use as a hard disk is there?
  7. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    An update on this one:

I deleted around 100GB of Play TV recordings in anticipation of doing a full format tonight (as i wanted to back some up onto my USB stick).

I tried a game (well a few games) again on the off chance, and now it decides it wants to play them! Still doesn't seem to play Blu Ray movies however. I think i will see how it goes over the next few days and then do a full format if need be.
  8. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I finally got around to doing a full format to see if this cured my PS3 not reading blu-rays...

...AND IT WORKED! :clap: :thumbsup:

This has convinced me that the PS3 blu ray problem that many people seem to be having is largely a software problem, and not a knackered blu ray laser.

I would recommend anyone who can't play games/movies to try a full format first. (mine took 29 hours :boring: )
  9. blacklion

blacklion Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have a related problem. My US import PS3 which is barely a month old will play games but not blu ray or DVDs. It shows the disc loading icon and then a black screen which it does not move beyond. Before yesterday,it played blu rays and DVDs superbly.

Is this a software glitch that can be cured by a firmware update?

Thanks!
  10. muddymonster

muddymonster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blacklion, your problem seems a little different to the one I had.

My full format cured the PS3 for a day, then went back to not playing games/bds for a day, and now has been error free for a month :clap:

If I was you i would try the full format as it cant do any harm (just back up the stuff that you can first).

As for firmware updates being able to solve the problem, i'm not sure if you're on the latest firmware, but do update if you can.
  11. blacklion

blacklion Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well, I updated the firmware - the first ever since I bought it actually - to version 2.70. Miraculously it now plays BDs and DVDs - at least for today. So I didn't bother to format the drive since it seems to be working. Thanks for the advice:thumbsup:
  12. Forbez

Forbez Member

Ratings:
    +51
    I've just rung Sony Careline, as my PS3 is not reading any disks at all, £99 to repair unless I can find the receipt. 3 PS3's bought that Christmas, and mine goes, not my Dad's or Brother in law's. GRRRR
  13. davidg1230

davidg1230 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,296
    How old is your PS3? mine recently had a failed blu-ray drive (still played DVD's) even though I was out of warranty by 4 months they changed it free of charge. I'm surprised they've asked you to pay for the repair.

They didn't even ask for a receipt? just roughly when I had purchased it
  14. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    I've been having exactly the same problems, some work some don't. Turned off at the back wait say 10 secs turn on and it works again. Tried 3 different blurays and none would work. Tried again later and they work. Very odd.
    Sony only suggested a full format, wasn't interested in anything else. Mine was out of warranty by 2 weeks, but no receipt.
    I'm mad because i never throw anything away, this has bugged me bad.

I have been advised that once the rot starts in your bluray laser there is no stopping it, it's time will come. Can be £95 to |£150 to replace :(

Buying a standalone bluray player soon.

neuty
  15. Bribrian

Bribrian Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Or £5 with Continuous Play............. ;)
  16. neuty

neuty Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    I am seriously considering this, but would Sony still want proof of purchase ?
    Actually as long as they have your money they won't care.
    Is it £5 per month ?
  17. blacklion

blacklion Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I apologize if I'm diverting the thread but a major reason I bought the PS3 was that family and friends advised it is the best performing and future proof blu ray player available. But with these horror stories one reads here of knackered PS3s and failed blu ray drives, I really wonder now. I also bought a Panasonic BD60 which I am enjoying very much - it loads the Bourne Trilogy and Planet Earth BDs faster than the PS3. The remote control is a lot more user-friendly than the PS3 BD remote.

The only problem I have with the Panny is sparklies but I wonder if that has to do with the quality of my HDMI cable or a handshake issue with my LG 42 LCD.
  18. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,242
    No, they dont need a receipt, for continous play, just a serial number,and a rough date of purchase.
    and yeh, its £5 a month, direct debit.
  19. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,242
    you have to remember that some stories are exaggerated,and what may seem like a broken drive,may be in fact a motherboard fail, or software related(read some posts on a format repairing the drives ability to read discs).
    the failure rate is probably surprisingly low,lower than other pieces of kit,but still expensive to repair,hence sony's charge.

the ps3,as a blu-ray player though, is one of the better more adaptable ones, i think, and has plenty scope for updates/upgrades compared to stand-alones.

as to your sparklies, thats down to the cable, or at the very most, the tv's hdmi input itself(LG tv's have a common trait that involves sparklies/red snow/interference when hdmi is used, and earlier models certainly didnt get along too well with hdmi items/ps3,etc.
  20. Zekethegaijin

Zekethegaijin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NO FACTORY RESET NECESSARY!
    ok I know it has been 5 years since this thread began but in case ppl still finds this, best way to get it to play blu rays again is to merely reset video settings. turn off your ps3 console then press the power button until it beeps a second time. that is all. they play after that. I learned this trick switching from HDMI to A/V and did it on a hunch.