"PS3 is dying on the Shelves" I think NOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't see Sony dropping the PS brand... All this money spent on making it (I believe) the leading selling Blu-Ray player, throwing money at Home until some of it sticks, funding development of MAG (Remember that?) and other games...

If they drop out, the next MS console *WILL* launch at about £500, and *WILL* stay there or thereabouts.

Could you see Apple letting the iPod drop if it sold a few million less than expected? The Playstation name is arguably on a par...

Its getting to the point where a lot of Xbox owners are looking towards the 'dark side' as we call it. I know of 4 die-hard xbox fanboys who got PS3 consoles for Chrismas and unsuprisingly they all love them!:clap:

Personally I don't pay any attention to articles like the CNN one. I find they are all biased and never give the full story. The forums like this are where the real stories are, once you get past the PS3 vs. 360 arguements, of course! :D

I got one too....I love the 360 but must admit the PS3 looks pretty good ...I am still in the infancy stage at the minute so can't make too many comments !!

I got one too....I love the 360 but must admit the PS3 looks pretty good ...I am still in the infancy stage at the minute so can't make too many comments !!

Funnily enough i just got another 360 lol but have to say couldn't do without my PS3....:thumbsup:

Don't mean to start any trouble but all I ever hear is people owning 3 or 4 360's me included,
I've been through 3 and I'm on to number 4.

Are these included in sales or not? if not they must of made 40+ million 360's by now or only have 10 million customers if they are?
Just a observation from what people say all over the net! :thumbsup:

Plus what about people that have bought 2 or 3 times, it's still only one customer?

Funnily enough i just got another 360 lol but have to say couldn't do without my PS3....:thumbsup:

noticed that buddy..sent you a F/R recall some good games on COD3

Still trying out the PS3 really got it for exclusives and blu ray but I must admit i am very impressed so far !!!!!

KEV

If you buy multiple consoles it will be included as a sale.

I fail to see your "it's one customer point"...I have two 360's I use alot (in seperate rooms) and am considering buying another PS3 so I can play to my hearts content without inccuring the wrath of the Mrs. This is two distinct sales and should be counted as so.

Don't mean to start any trouble but all I ever hear is people owning 3 or 4 360's me included,
I've been through 3 and I'm on to number 4.

Are these included in sales or not? if not they must of made 40+ million 360's by now or only have 10 million customers if they are?
Just a observation from what people say all over the net! :thumbsup:

Plus what about people that have bought 2 or 3 times, it's still only one customer?

If you buy multiple consoles it will be included as a sale.

I fail to see your "it's one customer point"...I have two 360's I use alot (in seperate rooms) and am considering buying another PS3 so I can play to my hearts content without inccuring the wrath of the Mrs. This is two distinct sales and should be counted as so.

Yes it is two sale I didn't say otherwise but it's still one customer and theres no point to it I was just asking a question. :thumbsup: I own 2 PS3's but I'm still one person.
And are multiple new machines from faulty one's counted in sales? I have had 3 360's repaired so is that 3 sales? like I said they must of made a hell of a lot of 360's going by how many people seamed to have owned more than one.
It's just a observation, not opinion mate.

Would be interesting to find out how many "customers" the PS3, 360 and the Wii have?

Last edited:
That's actually a really valid point that you don't see brought up that often in the 'war'. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it I know two people who got so fed up of waiting for their 360's back they bought brand new machines and sold the old ones when microsoft eventually returned them.

Turn it around and ask any sole ps3 owner if they'd do the same. Yes, I would actually.

Dedication or stupidity? I honestly can't tell.

And are multiple new machines from faulty one's counted in sales? I have had 3 360's repaired so is that 3 sales? like I said they must of made a hell of a lot of 360's going by how many people seamed to have owned more than one.
It's just a observation, not opinion mate.

Would be interesting to find out how many "customers" the PS3, 360 and the Wii have?

If you mean, are replacements for faulty consoles counted as new sales then the answer is no:)

Turn it around and ask any sole ps3 owner if they'd do the same. Yes, I would actually.

Dedication or stupidity? I honestly can't tell.

Crass stupidty in my book:smashin:

Yes mate all I'm pointing out is that most people, mind you we only hear from the ones that have broken machines seam to have had 3 or 4 360's and some people have had more than 1 PS3 so if the sales of 360's are about 22 million say and the failure rate is 40% approx that means they have made 30+ 360's also same for PS3 how many have been made?

At the end of the day If I own 2 or 3 PS3's in my house I'm not likely to buy 3 copy's of a said game.

I don't know how the hell they all work out sales and statistics properly!

May be with the trend of more people having more than one machine of the same type in there house nowadays might explain some low sales of games? after all we only buy one copy of a game even if we own 3 PS3's or 360's.

Take into account the second hand games and the sales for games are even lower now there seams to be a lot more factors now to how they can judge what sells well or not!

Crass stupidty in my book:smashin:

Obviously valid, but a larger explanation would be nice.

It goes back to an earlier argument about how some people don't use their 'console' to it's fullest ability.

I use the machine every single day, for singleplayer games, online games, quick internet/email browsing on the t.v, music, dvds, blu-ray, streaming media from 3 laptops and soon as a freeview pvr. That's a great deal for a £200-300 machine.

If it was out of action it'd be really noticable as it's totally replaced my need for seperate media units.

I disagree :thumbsup:

Having two 360's means I can simply move the HDD (complete with game saves etc) so I can game in another room and not cheese off the wife / disturb my little one. The 360 also makes a very good MCE extender / media streamer.....quite often by devices will be in use.

Now my PS3 is getting more use, I shall probably purchase a new PS3 and use a SD card to sync game saves..again, for me, a valid point to own two consoles of the same type.

t's still one customer and theres no point to it

I disagree :thumbsup:

Having two 360's means I can simply move the HDD (complete with game saves etc) so I can game in another room and not cheese off the wife / disturb my little one. The 360 also makes a very good MCE extender / media streamer.....quite often by devices will be in use.

Now my PS3 is getting more use, I shall probably purchase a new PS3 and use a SD card to sync game saves..again, for me, a valid point to own two consoles of the same type.

I think you have misunderstood me or quoted out of context I meant no real point to my question and not no point in owning more than 1 machine, it was just a random question thats all.

Yes it is two sales I didn't say otherwise but it's still one customer and theres no point to it I was just asking a question.

EDIT:
Owning more than one of the same type now is a good idea because of the media side of things it saves having loads of different boxes around the house, it just goes back to my original question really how many households own a PS3 or 360 not including multiple machines and not including repairs, so the actual owners in circulation I bet it's a lot lower than the sales figures for all 3 machines especially for the PS3 and 360 because a lot do own more than one.

I can't see many households wanting or needing more than one Wii, so the sales of that item to households must be higher than we think? or more to the point the 360 and PS3 lower.

Last edited:
Well Microsoft must have shipped 30+ million 360's then?

Hard to say, and I'm sure MS will never release the figures but I'd imagine that the vast majority of faulty machines are repaired or replaced with a refurb rather than a new console.

Obviously valid, but a larger explanation would be nice.

It goes back to an earlier argument about how some people don't use their 'console' to it's fullest ability.

I use the machine every single day, for singleplayer games, online games, quick internet/email browsing on the t.v, music, dvds, blu-ray, streaming media from 3 laptops and soon as a freeview pvr. That's a great deal for a £200-300 machine.

If it was out of action it'd be really noticable as it's totally replaced my need for seperate media units.

Yes, sorry.

I meant particulalry in the case of having a faulty PS3. Sony's track record on replacing faulty consoles appears excellent, at least anecdotally, and turnaround seems to be typically < 7 days so I would say that anyone rushing out to drop £300 on a replacment is stark staring bonkers:D

In the case of the 360 this can be different, of course, with the wait being, typically, measured in weeks rather than days. Personally I still wouldn't go out and get a new one in the event of it going wrong, I'm much more inclined to get the retailer to replace by stamping my feet, quoting SOGA and being a general PITA:thumbsup:

It's only a gut feeling but I would have thought microsoft would want to keep how many xboxes they have replaced as far away from the public domain as they can. I really don't think they would include them in sales as it would hurt their marketing / reputation but I suppose it depends how these lists are compiled.

I seem to have the opposite problem to everyone else. I want an xbox but don't personally know anyone that's got one and want to play with my mates on-line. I've borrowed a Dreamcast off a mate as a stopgap. Toy Commmander rocks!!

Sony must have money invested all over the place, they can cut back and streamline without loosing the Playstation Brand. The other thing I think is that because they really need to keep the exclusive's going the one benefit I can see is that any quality title should be snapped up by the existing market. To me that's dead cert cash. If there was a bung load of titles you would have to spread your money between them which I would have thought would be less cash for Sony (assuming a certain total number of sales per yr per console / customer).
I think ( or is it hope? ) sony will pull a lot of money out from certain developers and keep their money invested in fewer quality software companies.

As a slight side note. Does anyone think that the Killzone2 demo being only available to people that pre-order has any relevance to all of this? I hope it's because they either want to get a guage of the market or because it'll land with such a bang they want it to really blow people away. I'm a bit concerned that they haven't really managed to get it right or that it's only a slight improvement on the competition.

If the second reasons are the case then I for one would start to worry a little. If the PS3 can't prove it can offer more to gamers to justify the price ( blueray movies aside) then it's effectively competing on a level playing field and a £100 difference gets a lot harder to justify... Just a thought

Last edited:
So basically my long winded point :D is if Sony say they have sold 18 million consoles, take off shop stock, replaced machines, duel owners the actual individual households that own and are likely to buy games could be as low as 11 million? same reasoning for the 360 as well.
This is why I can't understand how they monitor the sales properly it's not as simple as making 20 million consoles at the factory and counting them go out the door.

I suppose that's why market researchers are paid so much and know everything like M Patcher. :D:D

As a slight side note. Does anyone think that the Killzone2 demo being only available to people that pre-order has any relevance to all of this? I hope it's because they either want to get a guage of the market or because it'll land with such a bang they want it to really blow people away. I'm a bit concerned that they haven't really managed to get it right or that it's only a slight improvement on the competition.

That seams to be the case now that just because you have say 20 million costumer's that 40% of people will buy a top game, there are too may reasons and factors now because people own consoles now for other things besides games, look at the sales of GOW2 that hasn't sold like it should is it because of my point that there are maybe fewer "households" that own consoles and buy games ?

People own a PS3 for more than just games it's not like the old days because of reasons just discussed when if you had 20 million SNES's you would get 50% sales for a big game, If KZ2 sells more than 3 million copy's before the years out I will be surprised, even if it gets perfect 10's across the board.

Last edited:
Ahhhh......got you now..you should have said so in the first place :)

Agree about the WII...I personally can't see as many households doubling up on WII's as you need quite a bit of space.

I think you have misunderstood me or quoted out of context I meant no real point to my question and not no point in owning more than 1 machine, it was just a random question thats all.

Yes it is two sales I didn't say otherwise but it's still one customer and theres no point to it I was just asking a question.

EDIT:
Owning more than one of the same type now is a good idea because of the media side of things it saves having loads of different boxes around the house, it just goes back to my original question really how many households own a PS3 or 360 not including multiple machines and not including repairs, so the actual owners in circulation I bet it's a lot lower than the sales figures for all 3 machines especially for the PS3 and 360 because a lot do own more than one.

I can't see many households wanting or needing more than one Wii, so the sales of that item to households must be higher than we think? or more to the point the 360 and PS3 lower.

Ahhhh......got you now..you should have said so in the first place :)

Agree about the WII...I personally can't see as many households doubling up on WII's as you need quite a bit of space.

Why not the wii is quite small, :rotfl: see what I did there.:D

That seams to be the case now that just because you have say 20 million costumer's that 40% of people will buy a top game, there are too may reasons and factors now because people own consoles now for other things besides games, look at the sales of GOW2 that hasn't sold like it should is it because of my point that there are maybe fewer "households" that own consoles and buy games ?

People own a PS3 for more than just games it's not like the old days because of reasons just discussed when if you had 20 million SNES's you would get 50% sales for a big game, If KZ2 sells more than 3 million copy's before the years out I will be surprised, even if it gets perfect 10's across the board.

If killzone sold 3m does that count as a success finantially?

If killzone 2 really is 9 or 10/10 material, I would expect it to be the system seller that so far hasn't really happened.

If not then I fear GT5 will be the 'last stand' for a title to achieve that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom