1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Hard Drive dead - what can I do?

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by charles bronson, Oct 7, 2008.

1. charles bronson

charles bronson Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

My Ps3 won't boot past the welcome screen (that says SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT).

I can hear a noticable stutter in the musical bit that plays, then the writing dissapears and I am left with that swirling line - and no log in names appear.

It just hangs like that. It won't turn off from holding down the button, instead I have to flick the power switch at the back.

I am using a 250gb drive I put in, so I tried the old 60gb one I got with the machine. It boots up fine. So its the drive not the machine.

the 250gb drive has been running fine for months, until I got PLAY TV that is. It froze twice on the boot up since I've been using Play TV.

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do? I don't think I can reinstall the drive if it is not recognised?
  2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    If there is nothing of great importance on there, try formatting the hard drive with your PC.

Either connect it using an external enclosure or temporarily connect it internally.

Do a full low level format of the drive as opposed to just using Windows drive format.

If you want a suggestion for a nice, free, Low Level Format app I like this one

HDGuru Low Level Format Tool

Afterwards try using it on your PS3 again to see if its recognised and will install correctly.

If its still not I would RMA the hard drive as they usually come with 3-5 years warranty depending on the manufacturer.
  3. wingnut121

wingnut121 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    i think there are a few whos hd packed with play tv:rolleyes:
  4. mightynimrod

mightynimrod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121
    Buy a new 2.5" hdd (sata) and stick it in, the PS3 will reformat it itself.

Obviously you'll lose anything that you had on the original but it's better than nowt ;)
  5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Why buy new when the hard drive he has got is still under warranty?
  6. charles bronson

charles bronson Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks all.

Is it worth contacting Sony to tell them their PLAY TV killed my hard drive?
    After all, if I didn't have another hard drive to test it with I would be sending my PS3 back about now
  7. grumpyguy

grumpyguy Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I read on the internet on M$ website yesterday to put it in a good freezer bag, and place in a freezer overnight. Once out, leave it to reheat / dry out, then try again. Costs nowt and just may work so you can back up the data!

Just my 2 cents worth
  8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Yes that is one of the tricks to temporarily revive a drive to copy data from it.

However even if he does that how will you be able to copy the data as if this was just a PC drive fine, but its a PS3 formatted drive so it will likely still be difficult to copy the data off.