Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Custom Firmware/Jailbreak Thread *Part 4* PLEASE READ POST 1 BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by RottenFox, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    or he's a serious attention seeker who likes the illusion of power :suicide:
  2. fruityloop

fruityloop Member

Ratings:
    +14

hope he doesnt do same to the missus :laugh:
  3. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    A few updates today :

A new backup manager has come out, there's now a load of different ones, all with slightly different look and feel but mainly doing the same job.

A well-known Android "hacker" that was apparently approached by Sony by their recruitment department delivered them a swift rebuff citing Sony's treatment of geohot as the reason!

There's a video doing the rounds of the Kinect device working on the PS3, some person using it with Killzone 3. The video doesn't really reveal a great deal and controls look to be very inaccurate, be interesting to see if it's real and if anything comes of it.

Perhaps the biggest news comes in the form of one of the well-known PS3 devs (one who's carrying on despite the German police raiding his house and him being taken to court by Sony!) has seemingly made a breakthrough in terms of the PS3 internal HDD encryption mechanisms. This could, in theory, allow other HDD's to be used on other PS3's, without formatting.
  4. rl4eng

rl4eng Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Kinect could be quite useful, and oh the irony. :)

Take it that's graf_chokolo, has he released his findings?

Anyone know where there's a repository of good quality coldboot startup pics and ac3's ? I'm currently using an Xbox 360 one but want to change it.
  5. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yep, that's the dev. Yes, he's released all his findings/workings....

A quick google for PS3 Coldboot should point you in the right direction.
  6. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Not exactly related to this thread but Sony have been sending out emails to all PSN users indicating that on April 1st (why oh why do they continually use that date ?!), PSN is changing over to be SNEA, with some new TOS and User agreements to accept. If you don't accept them then your account will be wiped and any funds refunded to you.

There's also some torrenting going on of a file purporting to be a 3.60 JB, but in fact it's OFW.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,283
    Sending out mails to people with US accounts...
    Got one for my US account, but none for my UK ones.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. nolive

nolive Member

Ratings:
    +18
    will give it a go over the week-end but for those who tried it,how is the Music player part of Showtime player application? one thing p**g me off with the XMB is the non ability to random play tracks from different folders when installed on the internal HDD....wonder if this app can do it?
    and also is it possible to reckognize media content when installed on an external HDD?
  9. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Not sure about the first query but I believe the app has full network/external access....
  10. custard10

custard10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +377
    someone has compiled an unofficial pkg using files from showtime's github. this has some of the updates planned for the next version.

the pkg has an update for 720p mkv files which reduces the stuttering.
  11. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yeah, read that, although "reduce" is no use unless it "stops" the stuttering. Any amount of stuttering is useless IMO, but good to see that people are updating things.

They've posted papers about how to use some of the processing power to run certain codecs etc too, so hopefully someone will pick that up and deliver some updates :)
  12. benwoodcock

benwoodcock Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Axum, nolive seems to be talking about having the app (showtime) on an external HDD, not about its ability to play content located on an HDD; can it do that too?
  13. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Don't think he is as he mentions tracks "installed" on the internal HDD, and recognising media content when "installed" on the HDD, i just think he's using "installed" when he should be using "located".

Why would you want to install an app on an external HDD ?
  14. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Some further developments today :

Firstly, a PS3 dev has said that a JB solution for FW 3.60 will be available soon. He was commenting on some of the videos floating around which seemingly show this, but hasn't confirmed that they're real.

Another dev is working on a dual-boot CFW version, booting into GameOS or into linux or some other system.

In other news a new USB dongle is coming out in a couple of weeks with some rather impressive features. Apparently only working on FW 3.41, but it's been backed-up by reputable people and the features include :

• ** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
    • ** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO's from HDD
    • ** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO's from HDD
    • ** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO's from HDD
    • ** Integrated support to play PSP mini games from HDD
    • ** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD

Although they say they've added some encryption, most people think it'll be ripped apart within a week and added to a CFW 3.55 version.
  15. paulxtr

paulxtr Member

Ratings:
    +14
    You've always been able to do this from the XMB. When on the Music tab, press square until the grouping is set to 'All'. Start a track playing then press triangle and pick Shuffle. Enjoy! :D
  16. nolive

nolive Member

Ratings:
    +18
    was reading my original post and so embarassing:oops:
    I meant cant random tracks from different folders stored on EXTERNAL HDD not internal:rolleyes:and cant create playlist from tracks stored on external either:(
    For people who have a NAS link seen in the PS3,does that work:lease:

So I gave it SHOWTIME a try and after installation in my PS3 (was the other confusing bit from my post:facepalm:) I am not hugely impressed tbh.I reckon the great attempt but UI is quite "dry",mkv 720p some play but big stuttering indeed some others dont play at all,the TV streaming works for maybe 30% and then regarding Music playback even less features than the official Sony one:rolleyes:
    again no complains but still far from what I am looking for...
  17. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Erm, give it a chance...it is only a Beta!
  18. nolive

nolive Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I do,thats why I tried it and not ignored it:hiya:
    but you must reckon that there is stil some work to do right:lease:
    anyway,good luck to the guy behind this app or new devs who could take over because thats quite a challenge for sure;)
  19. bluejmc2005

bluejmc2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Hi all - im a complete newbie to this so please excuse my ignorance. i have just bought a second hand 40GB phat PS£ running firmware 3.41; what exactly is the benefit of not running an update and if i dont run an update can i not play recent games on the machine? thanks in advance
  20. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yep, of course, but that's kinda the purpose of a "beta" ;)

You can play, afaik, all games at the moment. You cannot however play ANY of them online.

Not updating, whilst sacrificing online play, gives you homebrew apps and the ability to play backups from your internal/external HDD.
  21. bluejmc2005

Ratings:
    +220
    Thanks Axum, is jail breaking difficult? If I don't take it online will games not try to update it and prevent me from using them if I don't?
  22. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    There's two methods, using a JB device, meaning you have to JB the PS3 every time you switch it on (you can buy these pre-loaded - a new version is mentioned by me above, or you can buy a programmable USB device and flash it) or you can update to 3.55 Custom Firmware, which is literally as easy as installing the normal Official Firmware. I'm not going to go into the in's and out's, a quick google search will give you all you need to know.

You can update any game without fear of doing anything....other than maybe, that's only a maybe, incurring a ban of that specific console from PSN, although you can't go online anyway, so no real loss there.
  23. bluejmc2005

Ratings:
    +220
    Really appreciate the replies I have some reading to do
  24. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    So it seems that the quite irritating Mathieulh, who obviously possesses a lot of skill, but also a lot of attitude, has given up drip-feeding information and keeping the interesting bits to himself, but he's been dropping hints to people about his own exploit, which will seemingly be able to lead (for whatever reason, presumably just so new machines can be played with) a 3.60 CFW/JB solution.
  25. nolive

nolive Member

Ratings:
    +18
    he is french,what do you expect:lesson:speaking from experience,I was born in France;)
    to be fair to him,despite the "attitude",he has quite good image and respect on what the french calls "La scene" i.e. the hack community:devil:
    allez,lets give him a chance:smashin:
  26. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I guess in one respect he obviously has to cover his back. Apparently what's being discussed now isn't even his exploit, he's kept that up his sleeve.

To use a good analogy (which isn't mine I might add!), we can look at him as someone that's taken an exam, passed and knows "all" the answers. He's not telling people the answers, as Sony would come after him, but he's trying to educate people so they know the answers themselves. He's not breaking any laws (I don't think) doing that.

There's lots of "complaints" though, as this is just not needed at present. All it will do is allow people that have updated to revert. It'll only be needed when games come out that are using the new SDK that the new OFW is based upon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. paddy187

paddy187 Member

Ratings:
    +155
    great comment Axum - viva la France! They also produced the GEN team for PSP CFW development!
  28. silent

silent Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    i have 2 consoles, one on CFW 3.55 and one updated to 3.56 etc.

on my CFW console, can i go online and update my games on the hdd or will that get my console banned?
  29. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Why are you worried if you have one OFW console ?

No-one really knows....I don't think anyone's been banned like that so far....why don't you just get them via your PC ?
  30. silent

silent Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    i could create another id i suppose. i'll try it. never use psn much anyway.