Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Custom Firmware/Jailbreak Thread *Part 4* PLEASE READ POST 1 BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by RottenFox, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Well, it's been a week of some pretty major developments...

Firstly, people have started to get their hands on the new JB2 dongle, although at the moment, it's still the version which needs these special discs to play the newer 3.56+ games on and not the HDD-loader version, although I will assume that's just the dongle firmware that needs updating.

More importantly, an anonymous source has apparently leaked some files, which have then been followed up by a tutorial by one of the more prominent (but also one of the most annoying!) PS3 developers out there.

These files basically roll us all the way back to the CCC conference more than a year ago, where fail0verfl0w showed their "epic fail". It's basically a tutorial on how to "easily" dump an unencrypted version of your console's METLDR. Within this is your "per console key". This is non-updateable as it's stored in the hardware of your console.

Once a method of dumping your per console key has been refined, it will then be possible to bypass all the checks that all the new firmware versions from 3.56+ have put into place.

This almost seems like those people that have had access to this information for a long time but not released it for fear of reprisals from Sony have suddenly come out of the woodwork, as there's one thing using these kinds of things for piracy, but it's a whole different ball game if people (i.e. the creators of this new dongle) then use them to make money and profit from it, that really does go against the "principles" of most hackers!
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    so there is a jailbreak for 3.56?

its hard to tell, i need to find a guide or something. is it a stable thing to do?
  3. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Who ever said that ? No, there is no JB for 3.56......may never be, without the use of hardware.....
  4. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    So after a lot of previous promises by various teams etc, the JB2 dongle, or "True Blue" as it's called, has started shipping.

It indeed does allow the playing of the newer 3.56+ firmware games on people who have remained on lower firmwares, and there is no need for these special discs that were first mentioned. What is required are patches to the games that you want to play, so it is looking more and more likely that they're using the "debug" eboots that are within games (like the game executables, the "exe's" of PS3 games) to bypass some checks, although this hasn't been 100% confirmed.

People will now obviously start reversing the dongle, in fact, the payloads it carries have already been dumped, but the chip it works on has encryption itself....but it's likely this will follow the same route as the original JB chips.

In other news, fail0verflow, the team that showed the "Epic Fail" at the conference over a year ago now, are seemingly making a comeback, although no-one knows if it's to work on the PS3 (half the group work on the Wii I think).
  5. snorbawod

snorbawod Active Member

Ratings:
    +330
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in here before but think c4eva from the xbox scene may be getting involved in the PS3 scene sometime in the near future.:smashin:
  6. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Rumours rumours...! Everyone would like him to that's for sure!

One application that I totally missed out was a homebrew app called gameDATA which allows the user to choose where they want to install a pkg file, either internally or to an external USB HDD, which is great for saving space with those PSN releases!
  7. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Is there a way to go online and not get our ps3 banned, if it's jailbroken?
  8. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    You can't go online as your firmware will need updating.

Just delete anything you may have installed, homebrew, backup managers etc, then update your firmware.... but you can't go back at this point in time.
  9. kopchoir

kopchoir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,181
    Is there any updated posts of what firmware it needs to be on or what other ways round it been a while for me.
    Thanks
    Si
  10. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    What do you mean, in terms of PSN access ?

You cannot go online with a JB'ed PS3 full stop. The only way to do it at the moment is to create a dual-boot machine, which whilst possible, isn't the easiest thing to achieve. You then end up with one HDD that has your CFW on it, and the other would have the newest OFW on it so you can do everything online etc...
  11. kopchoir

Ratings:
    +4,181
    Not bothered about psn its rubbish IMO but just needed a heads up on whats new what firmware i need etc etc
  12. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Still not really following, what firmware you need for what, to go onto Custom Firmware ?

You can only install CFW on your PS3 if it's at 3.55 or below, although you can downgrade if above that, but as per above, it's not easy!
  13. kopchoir

Ratings:
    +4,181
    So i still need it at 3.55 been out of the ps3 loop for a while now i will be looking at picking one up this week second hand probably.
    Last one i had i still had linux and old firmware on a 80gb phat.
    The slims got rid of linux iirc and that applied to all slims what kind of firmware gets shipped with new ps3 is there a way of telling if im ob 3.55 if say a seller doesnt know where to look or if i buy from a shop.
    Thanks
    Si
  14. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    You won't get a PS3 from a shop that has 3.55 or lower on it nowadays, unless you find one with incredibly old stock!

I'm not sure there's any way of telling. The brand new units, which are CECH 3.something, definitely don't, you can probably see the model number on the box.

2nd hand, just get the person to check what firmware it's on....in the System Settings or somewhere similar.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Ah ok, sorry for the delayed response.

I had my ps3 jb'en before they started banning people etc. and would like to go back to it, but I can't live without PSN. For me it's a big feature, earning trophys is still ok lol :p but its fun just playing with my mates online:)
  16. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    For you them I'm afraid it's a return to official firmware. But obviously there's no going back (without significant work) once you do.

An alternative might be to look at the possibility of dual-booting, one HDD with your CFW and one HDD with your OFW on. Again, this is still a very technical procedure, but there are tutorials being worked on as we speak.
  17. Jimmi

Jimmi Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I updated my PS3 to latest fw a couple of weeks back to play UC3 online after having it sat at 3.55 for ages and I really don't regret it. I've probably had more use out of the PS3 in one week than I have in the entire time it was stuck on outdated fw. Good luck to those prepared to hold back but I personally really can't see the attraction.
  18. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I'm presuming the main attraction to a lot of people is the vast back catalogue of games they can play without paying for them. For others it might be the added functionality that it can bring. Of course this means you have to sacrifice going online.
  19. A2a

A2a Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've read now that the TrueBlue usb dongles have now been released which allow for pretty much any game on the later fw to be played (dongle has to stay plugged in to usb port) and there may in certain cases be eboot patches to launch the games.

This in my view would make the only difference between jb and ofw be psn, which can be compensated by homebrew apps, free of cinavia and additional functionality such as mkv playback...
  20. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Hehe, you're about 4 weeks late with that news, mentioned TB2 on the 16th when it started shipping ;)

Seems like a good dongle, allows all normal things to work but obviously plays games which are of a higher firmware.... Not all though, and you have to wait for the affiliated release group to grab the modified files. The big question was whether game updates would work, and I think the Skyrim patch has just been released.... which suggests they have the new keys...or a different exploit.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  21. Kaden101

Kaden101 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Sore point...we wish.:D
  22. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Some kind of 1.2 patch has been released...i think that was the version...
  23. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Looks like the first clone of the really quite impressive True Blue dongle (aka JB2) has emerged. Not a whole lot of details to go on at the moment but it's called JB-King and seemingly uses the same firmware that TB uses.
  24. emu

emu Member

Ratings:
    +56
    hi
    i have two ps3s one slim which i use online and a phat one sat upstairs that is just used for playing films for the kids

both are updated to latest firmware

i think i read 3.55 ps3 can play mkv , is there a way of downgrading my phat 4.00 to 3.55?

would be a bonus if i could run some emulators for the kids as well
  25. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    There is a way, but it's very tricky and involves soldering. You may as well spend £30 on a dedicated mkv player as trying to downgrade will cost more, if that's all you really want it for.

Or you could just stream with ps3 media server or pre-convert with mkv2vob, job done.
  26. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    yes just change the format of the mkvs to mp4s same quality
  27. emu

emu Member

Ratings:
    +56
    hi
    thanks for the replies

i have now managed to swap just the phat console with one running firmware 3.50

is there an idiots guide to get everything installed

last time i did it i used a minimus usb thingy which was ages ago
  28. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Nice swap!

Not on here there's not, a quick google will give you everything you need. It's basically now the same as installing a normal firmware. You need to go to CFW 3.55 Kmeaw, then you're looking for a homebrew app called Showtime and another called MultiMan.

Make sure you perform some MD5 checks on any files you download before you install anything!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  29. emu

emu Member

Ratings:
    +56
    been having a read up this morning

can i just install kmeaw CFW 3.55 Patched PUP straight from firmware 3.50

or do i have to get the official 3.50 first?

or is rebug the way to go? using this PS3Ultimate CFW
  30. emu

emu Member

Ratings:
    +56
    struggling to find the official firmware with a legit link as well doh