Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Custom Firmware/Jailbreak Thread *Part 4* PLEASE READ POST 1 BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by RottenFox, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,307
    Discussion continued from here!

And may I take the time to reiterate the point:

If for any reason a member is not happy with the discussion in this thread, and/or does not want to participate, then kindly, please jog on.

That any talk of piracy, swag, booty, pieces of eight, scurvy dogs, buccaneers, treasure maps, "X" marks the spot, or anything related to the high seas or Blackbeard behaviour, will not be tolerated.

**PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO REPEATED ATTEMPTS TO DISCUSS PIRACY IN THIS THREAD INFRACTIONS WILL NOW BE HANDED OUT INSTEAD OF DELETIONS**

^^Which seems to have been forgotten lately, So, when posting, try to keep this in mind.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Because I don't want them
    Interrogating my PS3 at bootup
    Seeing what stuff I've been running
    Pushing 3.56 onto it
    Sending me threatening emails
    etc. etc.

They can't force update your PS3 as there's no remote code execution in any other FW apart from 3.56. They can do the rest obviously, but all they'll do is ban you from the network you don't want to be on.

Geohot's had another interview with a US channel. He comes across quite well IMO, and when he boils it down like he does, it is actually quite amusing that Sony are coming after him SO hard.

His blog makes for an interesting read. He seems to suggest that he can do something to try and fix the current security issues that are making the PS3 so easy to hack/play about with....although presumably this would only apply to anything released in the future...and him saying that does sound bit, well, desperate......
  3. rl4eng

rl4eng Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well I'd sooner just stay under the radar. I've found all the playstation.net servers I think:

mercury.dl.playstation.net 213.200.108.10
    xmb.dl.playstation.net 68.142.87.108
    infoboard.ww.dl.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    static-resource.np.community.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    auth.np.ac.playstation.net 199.108.4.73
    trophy01.np.community.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    a0.ww.np.dl.playstation.net 2.19.177.164
    feu01.ps3.update.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    deu01.ps3.update.playstation.net 87.248.212.20
    dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net 178.79.194.179
    fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    nsx.np.dl.playstation.net 217.156.169.201
    nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net 198.107.158.195
    us.np.stun.playstation.net 198.107.130.105
    ena.net.playstation.net 198.107.158.197

But a lot resolve to akamai.net and sonycoment.vo.llnwd.net, akamaiedge.net etc? Anyhow I'm gonna plug them in as a starter. but also block *.playstation.net for all LAN clients too for the timebeing.

NB Very good article I found:

hxxp:// blog makezine com/archive/2011/02/sonys-war-on-makers-hackers-and-innovators.html
  4. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Loving that comment from Brandon Watson, Director for Windows Phone 7, asking geohot to get in touch and they'll give him a phone if he wants to hack about with it!

Come on Sony, that's the way to do it!

That comment I made earlier about MS apparently funding his fight might not be so far from the truth after all ;)
  5. rl4eng

rl4eng Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Also the "Sony sue developer for making their robot dogs dance!"

I'd be surprised if GH hasn't had a $200k job offer from M$.
  6. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
    @ Barry Just read your posts (can't seem to quote though).

We obvioulsy have views that differ, but probably want the same thing (a cheat free PSN and hate piracy).

Let's agree to disagree on certain things (and probably both of us are guilty of reading too much into basic text) :smashin:

ANyway, my copy of KZ3 has arrived, so please excuse me :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Neil_H

Neil_H Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    TBH my immediate thought when Sony launched the lawsuit against GH was "why don't they just give him a job?". What will suing him actually accomplish? The deed is done.

It sums them up nicely - there's a massive attitude problem with Sony at a corporate level.
  8. Barry_

Barry_ Active Member

Ratings:
    +623
    That what i though as well - reminded me of the film "Catch me if you Can"

Must say Axum i was rather shocked about your reply (CFW + PSN available at the mo) Must of missed something along the line somewhere!!! Doh. Must admit that i have not noticed anything unusual on Blops yet like MW2 (i'm assuming here that this will be one of the main/first MP games to get hacked though) or any other games as yet which is a good thing.

I presume this is because of certain reasons?? (Dev's coded better, waiting to see what sony does, unable to sign hack programs??) or maybe just been lucky??

Just need to see what sony can or can't do about it i suppose, have a horrid feeling if its nothing than it may explode and be awful online like the PSP was, but then again maybe not - time will tell. At least the PS3 has alot more decent single player games out/coming out if the worse does happen i suppose.
  9. HomerEightSeven

HomerEightSeven New Member

Ratings:
    +24
    It would make a good headline :D.

Probably more the opposite though, I imagine many developers, publishers and manufacturers are behind Sony. Microsoft were non too pleased when people started playing with there DVD drives remember.
  10. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I don't think BLOPS is affected as they have their own banning going on, like they did a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not 100% sure, but i've not read of any mass bannings happening, but I do think the same procedure is still working....and will continue to work....until Sony does wield the banhammer....nothing has changed in terms of the methods they're using to get onto PSN.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    If they get a good detect/ban system up and running, the number of people messing with games should drop off rapidly. MW2 on PSN has only turned into a **** fest cos Sony were yet to act. I don't think cheating/hacking on PSN is set to explode - I think the situation will actually improve. I suppose it depends what the hackers come up with, cos it's one big game of cat and mouse.

I think companies should be more harsh with online cheats if anything. MS can detect and ban JTAG systems shortly after they connect to Live, for example, but consoles can be unbanned using a keyvault, so you have a small hardcore of people who keep coming back and selling 10th prestige lobbies and what not. They can surely identify these people via their Xbox Live subs, IP addresses or whatever, so they should take further action and set an example, so these cheats think twice before doing what they're doing.
  12. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,015
    Cheap publicity stunt imo to try and mimic the iPhone. Microsoft has a long way to go, $500 million advertisement couldn't get a damn "copy and paste" feature on it. :laugh:
  13. DTS MAN

DTS MAN Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I thought so too, very mature responses. :)
    YouTube - PS3 Hacker vs. Sony
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. evilgenius

evilgenius Member

Ratings:
    +94
    He has obviously been told to dial down his obnoxious personality somewhat - I dont think he will win either.
  15. mattcafc

mattcafc Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Is there a firmware upgrade for 3.56 yet? Sort of lost track of the old thread
  16. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Yes there's an official firmware upgrade to 3.56. If you mean a custom firmware, then no, it doesn't look like 3.56 will ever be hackable.
  17. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    One of the well-known Backup Managers has now incorporated the ability to copy backed-up games off an external USB drive that's NTFS formatted, however you can't use it to actually play off of, it's copy only at the moment.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. beasty54

beasty54 Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    Ive only just took notice of my dynamic theme on the PS3 and it reads....

"Make Believe"

"Believe that curiosity is the key to creativity"

"Believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real"

I find that quite ironic under the circumstances :rotfl:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    I dont think the devs are willing to spend the time at the moment, I suspect if it does get done due to the "unique" keys involved it will be like the jtag approach where some low level code will emulate a certain ps3 hardware setup so all devices appear the same and then "reboot" into that fw. That would cut down alot on the development work but also flag the console so it would be pointless online should Sony ever issue console wide bans...

Just like jtag if you want homebrew then you have to accept its no longer a regular working console.
  20. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I think the only real way round 3.56, without a certain someone releasing the NPDRM keys, was only ever going to be via a hardware device, such as a NOR/NAND flasher, something like a modchip.
  21. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    i am more surprised there is not already a modchip out, especially after team fail0verflow talking about a device to bypass the revocation lists etc.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Well, there's no real need for one is there...yet...until Sony release their new batch of PS3's all with 3.56 as default.
  23. Blade2005

Blade2005 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    does the killzone 3 disk update the ps3 to 3.55?

thanks
  24. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    I'd assume it would, if not then 3.50 at the least, but that's no issue.....unless it tries to go to 3.56!
  25. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
    No idea, I am on 3.56 for my gaming PS3 (the others boxed in the loft hoping for XBMC).

26. sam1289

sam1289 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    So at the mo there is no way to hack firmware 3.56?
  27. HomerEightSeven

HomerEightSeven New Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Nope and very doubtful there will be, if your on 3.56 the best thing you can hope for is a downgrade method.
  28. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    That will most likely only be achieved by using hardware as well...as mentioned above.
  29. PAUL7331

PAUL7331 Member

Ratings:
    +46
  30. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815