Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Blu Ray Low Dialogue Sound

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by matrus01, Jan 26, 2013.

1. matrus01

matrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anyone experienced poor speech sound on movies through the PS3's blu ray player? I have the original PS3 60G linked to my Sony DAV F200 and while the sound quality is good, the speech is really hard to hear at all times, and then the sound effects on action sequences is really loud, so I am constantly turning the volume up and down all the way through a film.

Does anyone know if this is typical of the PS3 blu ray player? Is it worth buying a stand alone blu ray player?

Thanks
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Changing bluray player will make no difference, this is just the way blurays are, if you had a 5.1 setup you could up the centre channel, making the speech louder. In the ps3 audio settings disable all the hd audio formats this will help, but you will only get sd audio. Alternatively see if you can find any dynamic range settings on the Sony dav.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. matrus01

matrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, so this is a general blu ray issue I take it? I have the same issue through my Sony TV with blu ray, quiet speech and loud sound effects, so it's not just through the DAV that it happens.
  4. Clive197

Clive197 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I have the same problem with my Oppo BDP95 connected via the stereo RCA into a Cyrus Pre. Very annoying, if this is the norm when not listening to 5.1, the manufacturers are at fault.
  5. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Blurays have a larger dynamic range this is the difference between the quiet bits and the loud bits, it is the way the discs have been made it has nothing to do with the player.

My receiver has a dynamic range control which helps, as does turning up the centre channel slightly.
  6. matrus01

matrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I understand the larger dynamic range, but it does seem a bit odd that the dialogue is so quiet, I mean almost to the point there is no point in watching the film. I have the Dark Night trilogy and although the picture is brilliant and the sound effects superb on my system, you can hardly hear a word being said, it's really annoying.

Would it be fair to say that a 2.1 system and blu ray just don't go well together?!