Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS VITA Dead Pixels & Vertical Lines on screen- Check Yours

Discussion in 'PS Vita & PSP' started by dragonuk, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dragonuk

dragonuk New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Ok if you want to check your PS Vita for dead pixels best way I found was to do the following.

Download this zip.

DeadPixelImages.zip

Alternative link - Download DeadPixelImages.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Then connect your vita to your pc, think you have to use the content manager assistant.

Copy over those 5 images to your photo app on the vita.

Then cycle through each colour and check for black dots.
    Best to do it in a dark room or darkish place. Easier to spot.

I have one dead pixel which is easiest to spot when I am displaying the blue colour.

Check yours now. Do you have any dead pixels.

I'm exchanging mine.

Also there is loads of vitas that have lines down the screen and are grainy.

You can see from the screen you get when you hold the ps button and put brightness down.

Out of 4 vitas I seen, 3 had lines. 2 Were a yellowish colour for the whites.
    1 had a dead pixel, 2 had dust under the screen.

So every screen is different :p . Most common problem from above seems to be the lines on the screen and grainyness.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. ripkord

ripkord Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the pics, mines seems OK, phew. Good luck with your next one!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Webb111

Webb111 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for this buddy, I will be carrying this test out!
  4. dragonuk

dragonuk New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Its really annoying cause I purchased it online so I need to send it back, wait till they get it, wait till they then process check it, and then send out a new one.

Won't have the new one till next week now prob :(
  5. AlpsUk

AlpsUk Active Member

Ratings:
    +740
    Thanks for this. Mine is ok.
  6. EyesOnly

EyesOnly Active Member

Ratings:
    +606
    On the other hand if your screen looks good to you then why bother checking.

You can't unsee what you've seen with this test :laugh:
  7. kristianity77

kristianity77 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    to be fair for one dead pixel im surprised they didnt kick up more of a fuss on the returns. I remember when the first PSP came out places stopped allowing returns for a good while unless you had something like 3 or more stuck or dead pixels
  8. dragonuk

dragonuk New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah you could do this, if its not going to bother you.

But its easier to return things within the first week or too.

So you might notice something after 2 months then it might really annoy you and its harder to return.

Cause even if they said you can't return it with 1 dead pixel. If you purchased it online then you can return it within 7/14 days anyway due to distance selling regulations.

So your covered more the earlier you check ;) .

End result its only if it bothers you. Everyones different.
  9. small763021

small763021 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    My thoughts exactly,why go looking for faults on something that you couldn't see in the first place?
    One dead one out of how many,they might just claim the 99.9% working rate that is usually mentioned.
  10. Neil_H

Neil_H Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Completely agree, absolutely no point going out of your way to check for something you can't normally see. IIRC they won't even exchange an LCD screen unless it has something like 4 or more dead pixels, due to them being so common. Not sure if this has changed in recent years but definitely used to be the case.
  11. ripkord

ripkord Member

Ratings:
    +13
    They are less common in this type of screen im lead to believe
  12. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Exactly ive looked at mine and cannot see any dead pixels and usually they seem to stick out easier on handhelds so not going to run the test.
  13. kristianity77

kristianity77 Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Yeah id say its ridiculous to send one back for one pixel. Id be surprised if you could realistically even see it during game play. Yes it might be "slightly" viewable on a one colour static background but not on anything of note. They were bloody tiny on a PSP so they must be a hell of a lot smaller even than that on the vita due to the increase in resolution
  14. dannydj

dannydj Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    i had a real trouble returning my psp in the uk with 4 dead pixels - my cousin returned his with 1 dead hassle free to best buy NY ......typical

i had 3 dead pixels on my brand new pioneer kuro - it killed me ....was going to get it exchanged but pioneer wouldn't do it for 3 dead pixels. i argued that i wanted 1080p not 1077p.....to which i was told that there are over 2 million pixels on the screen :blush: kinda put it into perspective !!!

i had actually forgot about them ..... until i saw this thread !!

don't go looking for them is my advice as once seen it will haunt you.... but some people just have to ......i might even when i get mine!

there is usually a disclaimer in the manual...
  15. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    I disagree. Even one dead pixel means the unit is faulty and IMHO the buyer is entitled to ask for a 100% working unit.
  16. Hi/zuum

Hi/zuum AVF Table Tennis Winner 06

Ratings:
    +175
    I'll second that.
  17. dannydj

dannydj Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    in a perfect av world maybe .....but no one will class it as faulty for one pixel ... especially when its inherent to the technology ......although i thought oled screens did not suffer as bad as previous screens ??
  18. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76 Active Member

Ratings:
    +493
    I haven't checked or noticed any pixels... but I did notice one thing, and apparently it's common with OLED displays...

Only read on if you can live with what you might see! :cool:

Didn't want to put this in the main thread or it's only really; as once people see things you can't turn a blind eye to them afterwards; so thought I'd put it in an already created pixel peeping thread :laugh:

I was just trying Motorstorm in total darkness, and I thought that's a nice underplayed grunge effect on the black loading screen.... but it's not from Motorstorm! .... On a total black screen in darkness, and easier to see at an angle, it almost looks like residue from a gluing process or something :confused: ... Bottom of screen is total black, then there are some lighter markings from a 3rd up to the top. It seems this is common with this screen tech, so I'm not overly concerned now I found this out, but you do learn something everyday.

Couple of links that talk about it and show it (tweaked to show) - Link One - Link Two
  19. lpoolm

lpoolm Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I have a stuck pixel, did not go looking for it but it is noticeable..
    I sell laptops and I know it is not classed as a fault but it's not nice, does anyone know if the likes of morrisons will swap or not?
  20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,063
    Can't see any on mine to be honest. I have had a good check on black screens (motorstorm loading screen and the initial boot screens) and can't see any. I had 3 on my Japanese launch PSP but they were in the left corner so I never really noticed them.
  21. dragonuk

dragonuk New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Wow just checked this. It looks crazy! Its only really noticable if everything is black, if theres a little bit of colour on the screen somewhere its harder to notice.

But it does look really bad. If you get the black.jpg image from the zip above and open it in the photo viewer, and then go in a totally dark room you will see its not black.

But it seems like this is the case with all of them so you can't so much.

Also the good thing is if there is any light from anywhere and your not in a totally dark room you can't really notice it.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  22. sam1289

sam1289 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    on my VITA when viewing a plain black image, I can see small deep black lines and dots all over the screen, anyone know what that is?
  23. small763021

small763021 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah apparently its related to the OLED technology of the screen.
    I have them as well but 90% of the time you dont see it so it doesn't bother me.
  24. dragonuk

dragonuk New Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Lots of people complaining that theres lines on the screen as well. You can see it when you hold the ps button down and get the screen up to set brightness etc. Some people can see vertical lines on the background there
  25. sam1289

sam1289 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    on a plain white screen there is no sign of these small black lines and dots?
  26. weetibix

weetibix Member

Ratings:
    +76
    The official response........

There's an un-lit / always lit pixel on my touchscreen, is this normal? | Official PlayStation website: Help & Support
  27. PlayStation

PlayStation Member

Ratings:
    +120
    You see, if it was Apple, they would have changed a dead pixel product instantly or fix it, fixed my MacBook Pro when it had a dead pixel.
  28. OdieS

OdieS Member

Ratings:
    +54
    That's a pretty shocking official stance from Sony, at the very least I would have expected them to state a tolerance.
  29. yok0ross

yok0ross Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes it is!

I have a single dead pixel i discovered today :mad: about a third of the way up from the bottom and right of the screen, annoying as hell now ive spotted it but I will try and live with it :lesson:
  30. OdieS

OdieS Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I reckon you could probably return it if purchased online under the Distance Selling Regulations. Also, I think some retailers will accept them back for dead pixels while others will stubbornly cling to Sony's official stance.