1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector problem with AMX controller

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by speedcam, Jun 29, 2010.

1. speedcam

speedcam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We had installed 8 units of NP3250 all integrated with AMX controller NI-3000. Out of these 8 units, 3-4 units seem to have problems. Everything seem to work normally but some times, the AMX controller will not be able to turn on the projector, causing the proejctor to hang. We cannot even turn on the projector using the NEC remote control. I have to power off the projector and everything work fine again.

There are also incident where the AMX controller could not shut down the projector.

We checked with NEC and according to them, no fault was detected.

This is an intermittent issues and it is quite difficult to solve.

Anyone faces such problem before?
  2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost Active Member

Ratings:
    +119
    If the projectors are OK (according to NEC) then the next thing to look at is the AMx, surely. Are they being controlled over an IP network?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. speedcam

speedcam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They are connect via RS232 directly from AMX controller to projector. The problem is also the system integrator who does this projector insisted that their program is totally fine. Because they argue that the if their program is wrong, then why most of the time the controller can communicate with the projector. Which also explain why i am quite helpless when this problem is intermittent. Our of so many installed, only few units have problem. I wonder if anyone have similar experience.
  4. statiksam

statiksam Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Was the serial cable custom-made to allow it to reach from the AMX to the projector? If so you might want to test the cable and ensure its working. Also try disconnecting the cable at the AMX end, plug it into a computer and use a terminal program like PuTTY or Hyperterminal to manually send the control commands and see if the projector responds.

--
    Sam
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Gerard Fernand

Gerard Fernand Member

Ratings:
    +29
    What baud rate is being used?

I have had issues were some NEC projectors don't respond consistently to RS232 commands when the baud rate is set at the default 38400.

Reducing to 9600 resolved the issue. I now do this as standard practice when controlling NEC projectors.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. speedcam

speedcam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sam,

Any information what is the maximum length for RS232 control cable? I had tried connecting directly to computer and control the projector and it work perfectly fine.
  7. speedcam

speedcam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gerard,

This certainly is a very useful information. I will look into this.
  8. statiksam

statiksam Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I use a 10M CAT-5 cable for serial communications between AMX and projector. I have a DB9 to RJ45 adapter at each end of the cable. It works fine for me, never had a communication issue.

If you are able to control the projector with the same cable via a computer, the cable is probably ok - try some of the other suggestions to use a slower baud rate.

--
    Sam
  9. speedcam

speedcam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Sam for the information.

However the system integrater said that they had lower the baud rate and kept insisting the cable is fine. As for this matter, I cannot check everything on my own. It is just his words against mine.