1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Lamps - Safe Supplier?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by stretcher, Oct 23, 2011.

1. stretcher

stretcher Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Actually what I shoild have said was safe supplier at a reasonable price;)

For a 4 year old Panasonic PTAE2000; plenty of suppliers from the UK, and appear to be established, but price varies between about £150 to £260.

Will probably upgrade after the installation - my consience wouldn't let me sell on when it's not performing up to par!

Any advice gratefully received:) :):)
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    What exactly are you asking? :confused:

Do you mean you want a cheaper price?

If so, I've bought from US Ebay, no problems.
    It just takes longer.

Here's an example
  3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Oops, $38 shipping doesn't look so good now :thumbsdow

That £150 looks good :smashin:
  4. stretcher

stretcher Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well I'd obvioisly like to pay as little as possible, but I was reading somewhere some words of caution about poor quality imitators.

A genuine Panasonic lamp would be nice, without breaking the bank balance;)
  5. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    I ordered a replacement lamp from AV Partsmaster back in October on a next day delivery basis. It didnt arrive and when i querried it I was told they couldnt deliver out of stock items the next day. No mention of it being OOS when they took my money.

The price was good so I let it ride past a few promised but missed in stock days and now some 3 months later its still on back order.

I have asked for a refund twice but without success. This included escalating to the owner/director Paul Jennings and whilst I got a prompt and helpful reply it has lead to nothing more.

I have just initiated a claim back via the credit card company but thought it was worth warning others to take care.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. greigym

greigym Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Depends what you are after but if you are after a genuine lamp with warranty I would recommend someone like Purple Cat or Cherrywood AV. EBAY guys I would only trust Superlamps.

Cheers
  7. Raine

Raine Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Anybody have experience with a place called Panoramic? They sell in eBay and they have a website as well. They seem to have very good prices from what I can see.
  8. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    same people ?
  9. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
  10. sadbuttrue

sadbuttrue Member

Ratings:
    +15
    EDIT: I misread. I dealt with Panoravision, not Panoramic. I can't tell if they are the same outfit, but the eBay blurbs for each are worded similar.

I recently bought one from http://www.soundandvisionav.co.uk/. The initial original lamp they sent me for my Panasonic AX200 was genuine (box/warranty/housing/bulb stamp marks etc) and cheaper than everywhere else. Unfortunately it had the dreaded high pitch whine. It was stamped made in China (Panasonic have factories there) which was probably why.

Anyway, I returned the lamp for replacement or refund. They claimed it not to be faulty, but sent a replacement anyway. The replacement was a generic bulb that had been poorly fitted into the original housing unit. The foam padding was missing from the box and the clips had fallen out, so the bulb was hanging loosely by its cable. It was also less bright than my 3,000 original hour bulb. These are the ones they sell for considerably more than other generic bulbs. Needless to say I opted for a refund.

So there you go. Both the good and the bad from my experience. If the dimness of the generic bulb they sent me is anything to go by, I'd avoid any like it unless very cheap.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  11. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Just checked on the Panasonic site and they sell them incl. delivery for £219, not bad for peace of mind.
  12. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Does that include VAT?
    I think you also get a new dust filter with genuine Panasonic lamps.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  13. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Not 100% sure, you have to complete personal details etc before getting to the final order screen. Try it and let us know https://www.pas-europe.com.
  14. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I may have to soon, had my first lamp warning at 1829 hours :(
  15. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Don't be sad, think of it as 914 glorious films instead or 24p a film, great value when all said and done.:smashin:
  16. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Indeed it does include VAT :D
    Ordered one today, lets see how quick they are now :eek:
  17. greigym

greigym Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Id avoid Panoramatic/ Panoravision....they sell copies/ fakes.

Projectorpoint are excellent as are Purple Cat, Wedgwood AV. All got really good reputations
  18. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    just looked at projector point for a lamp for my AF115 - unfortunately they are out of stock - struggle to understand why as I cant see many people buying from them at a cost of £10084 + VAT (£12,100.80 inc VAT) and that doesnt even include delivery.
  19. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Wedgewood say they wont supply home users. "Wedgwood supply audio visual equipment to businesses, education, government, retail, leisure industry and registered charities. Please note that Wedgwood does NOT supply equipment to home users."
  20. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Here's a UK information site with links regarding replacement lamps.
    I emailed them regarding a supplier on ebay stating they sell genuine Panasonic Lamps for a PT-AE2000 for £169!
    They told me the ebay seller is not registered to sell genuine Panasonic lamps and to steer clear.
    I ended up ordering a genuine one from Panasonic for £219 delivered.
  21. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    It's a ploy, so they can say £12,000 off when they get stock for the January sale! :D
  22. Raine

Raine Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Anybody dealt with projectorlampworld.co.uk? They seem to have good prices as well.
  23. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    New Lamp arrived today from panasonic.
    Its so much Brighter :D
    Just to confirm it does come with a new dust filter.
  24. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +105
    £219 delivered. Genuine Panasonic Lamp, what a result, will you be doing a proper calibration on this?
  25. Timh

Timh Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I will give it a calibrate once I have put about 100 hours on the lamp.
    For now just a quick one.
    I will be using AVSHD709 or my DVE Bluray when it arrives.
    At least I will have the filters with DVE.
  26. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    I finally got the money refunded - interestingly it look as if the money may have been refunded sooner and not passed to me by the credit card company !

ordered another diamond bulb, this time from the plasma centre and it was dispatched quickly - installed it ok, bit fiddly as it was a bulb only not complex just half a dozen fiddle screws to get out/in. Price was good especially with the £5 discount code hidden in an old thread but ...........

the biggest difference is picture quality the screen is just so much brighter and vibrant now - even though i had switched to the lamp to high in the last week - back on low now - well worth the £90 it cost
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  27. Tight Git

Tight Git Member

Ratings:
    +605
    Thanks for the warning, Ian.

As you may have seen from an adjacent thread, I've just received a Diamond lamp from the Plasma Centre for my JVC HD750.

Can't comment on quality yet (only 3 hrs use) but it appears it was air-freighted from Newcastle down to Gatwick!

So, if their delivery service is anything to go by... :thumbsup:
  28. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Mine went by air freight to East Midland Airport, dispatch was confirmed on same day as the order which was nice
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. greigym

greigym Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think a lot of resellers mark up the items to ridiculous prices when out of stock to prevent making sales. Common sense would suggest its not their actual sales price. The bare bulbs are a great option but you have to be very careful. That list posted before of authorised people is very handy.

I think there is only 1 reseller on the list that is on Ebay. I notice that the likes of Panoravision/ Panoramatic/ Lamps-4-less dont figure but yet advertise as selling genuine items. I enquired with a UK distributor and they confirmed that those guys are selling fake or refurbished lamps as originals!!! No wonder there is a previous post saying how awful their product is!
  30. jmcardle

jmcardle Member

Ratings:
    +10