Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with rendering movie in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro 9.0 (crashes)

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by TobiasDK, Nov 4, 2008.

1. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am trying to edit my video with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro 9.0 - recorded with a Canon HF10 HD camera.

I imported the movie clips to the timeline by using "Import AVCHD camera". That worked smoothly.

Then I tried setting the project settings so they're identical to what Vegas says the movie clips are (framerate, resolution etc.) - then rendered the movie and burnt in to a DVD (only a small clip so It could fit on a DVD).

To do that I clicked "Make movie" -> Burn it to a DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or CD -> Blu-Ray disc

I used these 'render parameters':

Video format: Sony AVC (*.mp4,*.m2ts,*.avc)
    Video template: Blu-ray 1920*1080-60i, 16Mbps video stream
    Audio format (only 1 option): Sony Wave64 (*.w64)
    Audio template (only 1 option too): 48.000 Hz; 16bit; Stereo, PCM

This worked with the small clip - but when I then add some more clips to the timeline and try rendering and burning, the program crashes at the rendering process.

I even tried just rendering a small part of the movie by making a "loop playback" region and then check the "render loop region only".

What could be wrong? I know the rendering is ressource heavy but I got a Intel Core2 Quad 9450 cpu @ 2.8ghz and 4gb memory - running windows xp. This should be enough to handle the rendering..

I tried rendering with these render parameters too:

Video format: MainConcept MPEG-2 (*.mpg;*.m2v;*.m2t; *.mpa)
    Video template: Blu-ray 1920*1080-60i, 25Mbps video stream
    Same audio settings as before

This time the rendering worked fine - took app. 50 mins to render a 22 minutes movie - it appears to me it is faster than with the other settings (the video preview shown while rendering seems more smooth now). I rendered the whole movie and unfortunately it ended up being a bit too big to fit on a DVD so I tried to render and burn just 2 minutes instead for a quick test with these settings.

I did this, it worked, but when I insert it into my blu-ray player the movie isn't smooth - it's plainly unwatchable. It looks like the first 5 seconds are smooth, but then it starts to clutter and the sound disappeared.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me fix this problem - I have tried so many different programs (Premiere pro CS3, Pinnacle Studio 12 and now Vegas) to edit the video from my new HD camera - so far with no luck :(

Thanks in advance.
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    I'm not an expert on this software but I do use it with my sony AVCHD camcorder This records in 1440x1080 so I use the template for MainConcept MPEG-2 1440*1080.

The only thing I notice though is that you are using 60i? I think that is for NTSC cameras. 25fps is what PAL uses so I think it is 25i for interlaced and 50 for progressive video you'd use. Then again, I could be getting mixed up.

I also render my audio separately - untick the create audio in the relevant tab for the video encoder. You can render the audio separate by selecting to render as .AC3 (Dolby Digital) or .wav etc. I'm at work so can't remeber the options exactly but can check them later.

These are a couple of things for you to check anyway - I've created discs that play perfectly this way.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the audio rendering it crashes at.. as far as I can see the video is rendered first, then the audio - and the crash occurs in the beginning while rendering the video.. but I can of course always try what you propose :)

The camera is bought in the US so it's actually NTSC - but I recorded most of the movie in 24P mode (like 95% of it - I was experimenting a bit since it was a new camera).. I forgot to tell that.

What makes me wonder is why it says 29.97 FPS in the properties of the imported movie clips in Sony Vegas. I am 100% sure I recorded in 24P.

I tried setting the framerate in project settings to 24,000 together with these settings:

Field order: None (progressive scan)
    Pixel aspect ratio: 1,000 (square)
    Deinterlace method: None

Then I rendered with video format Sony AVC (*.mp4,*.m2ts,*.avc) and the 1920*1080-60i setting since I couldn't find a 1920*1080-24p mode.. the result of this was really bad, the movie wasn't smooth at all.

I am really unsure about the project settings so I maybe it would be best to settle on the those first. Do you have any suggestions what would be reasonable to try?
  4. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    I'm not sure what to recommend. I think I just set my project settings to match the input video as well.

Have you tried editing and buring video clips from the camera not in 24p mode to see if those will work ok with the 1920x1080 60i settings?
  5. TobiasDK

TobiasDK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried importing other clips than those recorded with the camera in 24p mode, I can try it out - but I have a whole movie in 24p.. would be sad if I can't edit it and burn it to a disc properly.

I have tried setting the framerate and stuff identical to what Vegas tells me the clips' properties are. Then I rendered in "1920*1080-60i, 10 Mpbs" which actually worked - vegas didn't crash.

But the camera was in high quality mode when I recorded the movie which is 17Mpbs - won't I loose some quality if I render at 10 Mpbs ?
  6. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    A lower bitrate does mean you'll lose quality, but it depends on the video codecs as well though i.e one may give the same quality for another at a different bitrate. The only thing you could do is try it and see if its noticeable.

One other thing I should've mentioned - is your TV & player capable of playin back 24p material? I know newer TVs can with material properly recorded/played back on Blu-ray, but don't know how this works with DVDs??

I'm just back from holiday which is why it took so long to get back to you. Seems unusual that no-one has else has responded though either.
  7. ebros

ebros Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 b has a sofware-fault, which crahses 1920x1080... rendering. You must use 1440x1080 rendering instead of 1920x1080. Sony is solveing problem. If you want to know more, go to Sony Creative Sotware- Forums-Home-Vegas Movie Studio. You see, that you are not alone.
  8. boriskey

boriskey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ebros, thank you for the reference! on sony forums lot of people complain on the same issue with rendering of AVCHD. I read a good hundred posts over there and one of the guy gave me idea on the workaround that worked great for me. I spent 3 or 4 days trying to find a workaround and now I finally rendered my 1 hour video using Sony AVC.

I shot 1920x1080 60i using Canon HF10 FXP mode (17Mbps). I downloaded all the clips to my PC via USB, did cuts and trims in Vegas. Also added captions and music - did not use any plugins. I ended up with 1hour and 15 minutes of final video. That part was easy since I was quite familiar with Vegas before.

After that I was trying to figure out if I want to render to MPG2 25mbps or MainConcept AVC or Sony AVC.

My main goal were to
    1) conserve original quality
    2) render that to single MTS or MPG file so I can play it from PC anytime I want. For that reason, audio portion should be included as well.
    3) If I want someday to burn a blueray, it should be done without the need to recompress the final video file

If quickly figured out, that files rendered with Mainconcept AVC cannot be loaded to DVD Architect or Corel VideoStudio and burned to blueray without recompression. Mainconcept MPG2 25mbps was a bit bland with colors, took 1.5 times more space and to load to DVD Architect, you need to render audio as a separate file.

So my ultimate choice was Sony AVC. I did notice though on my test 30 sec file, that SONY AVC was the slowest one (it took 7 times more to render original file), but I was ok with rendering at night.

The biggest surpise was that when I used Sony AVC, Vegas crashed on me as on many people as I lately found out. I was about to give up, when I saw a post from ebros to insipre me to read on Sony Creative forum and one guy mentioned that before he renders using Sony AVC, he renders the file by loseless AVI codec and then render that file to AVCHD using Sony AVC.

So the workflow which worked for me:

1) Copy the files from camcorder to PC, do all the edits in Vegas, save your project
    2) render your project to AVI using SONY YUV. This will produce huge file (roughly 80Gb for ten minutes of 1920x1080 60i video), so make sure you have enough space - was not a problem on my new 1Tb drive. It took 3.5 hours to render it to AVI on my intel q6600.
    3) open a new project in vegas, open this new huge avi file and make sure you match the project setting as you should always do. Render to SONY AVC. You have two options here, use AVCHD template which I did (included audio) or render to video stream by using blueray template. Took another 3-4 hours but completed without crash!

Yes, you need to do one extra step and be ready to use up a lot of space on your hdd, but it works.

I am speculating now, but probably the crash happen when you render original AVCHD video again to AVCHD - the memory leak happens and you are getting memory access error.

Hope this help to somebody who lost sleep as me trying to make it work
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Thanks a lot for that .
    I have no doubt it will come in handy..:hiya:
  10. razor65mouth124

razor65mouth124 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    when i try to render wtih sony vegas prostudio 9 it crashes and tends to make fractions of my movie.i tryed all of the formats and the all do this or they stop at about 50-30% of the rendering time and just evitts sony vegas and when i try to reload sony vegas it said it terminatioted uexpectidly and to rcover lost file. pleas help!!!
  11. JBrown1

JBrown1 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thats crazy! 10 minutes of footage = 80GB of storage and takes 7 hours to render!

Come on Sony pull your finger out and fix your software!
  12. rplenty

rplenty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is that Vegas 9 is really bad editing material that will end up outputting AVCHD. Don't waste your money on this product. If you have a canon camera like the HF 10 , don't bother with this software, it's one crash or lockup after another even on a quad core I7. It will work on short clips, but get over a few minutes and forget it..
  13. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    That is not my experience at all but then I dont have the HF10 .Footag
    e from Sonys SR12, Canon HG10 and Panasonic SD9 as well as Samsung HMX20 have been fine on a quad core with Vista and infact Im about to give it a go on Windows 7
    However Im not sure we are talking of the Movie Studio or Vegas Pro here.
    It may well be a known problem with a workabout or recent patch fix but Im yet to hear it described as "really bad" and not worth wasting money on