Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with HDMI signal dropping on Sharp Aquos

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Raldanash, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

first post, so be gentle...

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-37X20E and over the last few days have got issues with HDMI sources.

Every few minutes, the blue pop up in the top right corner will appear to confirm the channel selected and occasionally the signal will drop completely (video= black screen, audio = silent) with the audio returning after a few seconds and the video a few seconds later.

The most obviously annoying scenario is when this happens on the Xbox while playing games. I recently watched a 2 hr HDDVD without it happening once, but just now the Bluray / PS3 combo is misbehaving in the same way.

I tried to disable HDMI Autoview (never quite sussed out what that did) but it didn't seem to make any difference. Also tried bypassing the Yamaha AV Receiver but that didn't help either.

Any bright ideas?
    Cheers,

'Nash
  2. Alan CD

Alan CD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,288
    Hi

If it is happening on two HDMI inputs then the cause of the problem is more likely to be the TV itself. Might be a heat-related fault.

If the TV is still under guarantee then a replacement or an engineer's visit is the next step.

Alan
  3. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks -

how long is the warranty on Sharps? Bought it 5/1/08...
  4. Alan CD

Alan CD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,288
    If you bought it new the minimum is one year. Contact the place you purchased the TV from and explain the situation. Do it ASAP.

Alan
  5. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, wrote to Dabs (where I bought it) and tried to write to Sharp, but their email address on their own website for the warranty department bounces.... :rolleyes:

I'll try and phone them tomorrow as well.

Tonight the tv cut out completely on a Scart signal and had 2 flashing LEDs on the front.
  6. don-noledge

don-noledge Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same model and had various problems with the set and the replacement Sharp sent me, in the end I had to threaten Small Claims case to get my money back!
  7. neiltc13

neiltc13 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I am having an identical problem at the moment with my LC32X20E - the HDMI input box will say "New Information" and it will keep flashing this on screen every minute or so.

Interestingly the problem is occurring with my Xbox 360 - the same as you. Perhaps it is the console at fault?
  8. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp Engineer will be coming to my house tomorrow - I will let you know whether that is productive.

Interestingly the day after I phoned Sharp, the problem went away completely after affecting the SCART inputs too one evening...
  9. joffahall

joffahall Member

Ratings:
    +20
    i had this issue with my lc37X20E a couple of weeks ago it turened out to be faulty HDMI cables. it was affecting my V+ box and my xbox 360. i bought replacement cables (argos £4.98) and now they are all working without a problem.

it seemed a bit strange to have 2 cables go faulty at the same time but i suppose it is not impossible and they were just cheap ones from Ebay.
  10. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right - the engineer just left after upgrading the firmware versions. He reckons that that should help.

The Engineer was talking about how the digital turnup resulted in receiver errors as the signal strength was outside the expected range and also how Film Mode should not be used in combination with Dynamic contrast, but neither of those sounded like good candidates to me.
  11. Little My

Little My Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, Raldanash - how's your set doing? Did the engineer get you sorted out?

I hope so.

Cheers.
  12. neiltc13

neiltc13 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Any updates on this issue? Did new cables make a difference and did the firmware update help?
  13. joffahall

joffahall Member

Ratings:
    +20
    the cables fixed the issue with the signal dropping out on the V+ box but the 360 was a different matter. ever since i swapped the cable i was getting sound and image dropping out every now and again for about a second or so. this turned out to be a faulty 360 as the dvd rom eventually gave up (kept getting DDR errors). the 360 was swapped at the retailer for a new one and now the issues are completely gone.
  14. Raldanash

Raldanash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update - following the engineering visit, the problem occurred again on the PS3 HDMI input, but only once.

The whole thing had calmed down prior to the visit, so I am not sure whether the fix fixed anything, but the occurrence is now very rare (once in 2 weeks rather than every 5 minutes) so that I can live with that.

Any other input from you guys?
  15. Jon Read

Jon Read Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How is the firmware upgraded ? A mate of mine has the exact same problem as you guys, with both his 360 and Gamecube and on occasion his DVD player. It is really winding him up. Happens on both HDMI and composite, and maybe other types too if tried. Flicks up every 20 or so seconds with "new information" in the top right corner.

He also finds that if he changes channels then his XBOX360 will turn off, and if he turns over to the HDMI channel his 360 will turn itself on. Very annoying if you want to pause a game and flick to a TV channel for 30 mins or something, only to find your paused game turns off.

Any help and advice appreciated. His TV is still in warranty period.

Cheers.
  16. alferret

alferret Member

Ratings:
    +28
    This has happened to us on our lc37x20e. Cant fault the set other than this problem, when it first started it was a once in a blue moon occurrence but today whilst watching content from my media centre (HDMI) it was doing it every 1-2 minutes, but switching over to the Humax sat box it wasnt doing it and will sometimes do it on the Toshiba HDMI DVD upscaler.

Anywho, phoned Sharp and I have an engineer booked for after 1pm this Friday, I will post back the outcome of his visit.

Whilst I was on the phone to their tech support I mentioned I had googled the issue and told him that IMO from the info I found it was an I\O board fault, thats when he said an engineer would visit.
  17. Jon Read

Jon Read Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know, my mate who is suffering from the same problem has got a possible solution coming to him. He phoned Sharp up who said it could be due to a fluctuating signal strength from the digibox or sky box EVEN if not watching TV at the time it happens. Unplug the aerial when not viewing TV to see if it helps. But to try and make sure, they are sending him firmware upgrade on a USB stick so he can update the TV to the latest version which was recently released. This, will hopefully, sort the problem out for good.
  18. alferret

alferret Member

Ratings:
    +28
    This is what sharp done when they came out, checked the signal aerial strength which was poor, upgraded the firmware and as we use other sources for TV left the aerial unplugged. Problem solved.
  19. sgtcrackers

sgtcrackers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all, well let me tell you what I found out. I have taken delivery of my new Sharp LC32x20E and I already own a Sharp LC32AD5E which works great, I bought the Sharp LC32x20E for my PS3. When connected to any HDMi port the PS3 was not showing at all, strange, I connected the ps3 to my older LC32AD5E with same cables and bravo it all works, I looked closer at the back of the new delivered today LC32x20E and noticed that the plastic around the hdmi ports is not fixed down well at all and you can press it back against the HDMI ports, this pushes some hdmi cables out, just enough to mess with the signal, I have inserted a another hdmi cable that I have and that works fine, still not very good really, I am considering if I can be bothered to send it back. So do not fear and send yourself mad buy this cable:

1m High Speed PRO-2 HDMI Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

it works for me where the other £25 one does not.

I hope this helps at least one person