1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Tomtom one

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Nav & Dash Cam Forum' started by MDUK, Feb 11, 2006.

1. MDUK

MDUK Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is this thing meant to work straight from the box?

i have just turned it on and it is flasing an SD card with a big red cross through it, even though the sd card has been inserted.

anyone able to tell me please.
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    It would suggest that it's not reading the SD card. Remove the card, reset the the unit & re-insert the card. If still no joy try the card in a card reader (if you have access to one) to see if you can read it there.
  3. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    make sure that the SD card is not write-protected as well.
  4. bibamus

bibamus Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Surely it wouldnt matter if it was write protected, doesnt the unit just read off the sd card?
    allan
  5. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I thought that it created some work files on the card? Plus it updates things like last destination .....
  6. BCH

BCH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here i just put a updated card in with cameras and sounds no joy..:confused:
  7. AFSTER

AFSTER Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I got one at the weekend from PC World and opened in the car and put the card in and everything working fine, used it that day
  8. KeithO

KeithO Member

Ratings:
    +217
    It makes no difference...TomTom ignores the write-protect setting, and can write to the card whether it's set or not.
  9. Mackh

Mackh Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You almost certainly have a faulty SD card.

I had an identical problem with a TomTom One I bought from PC World a couple of days ago. I spoke to the TomTom support desk who suggested there was a problem with the SD card. They suggested I try to download the latest version of the software, but my computer wouldn't even recognise a card was present.

Took it back for a replacement and got the replacement up and running in lesss than 5 mins in PC World's car park.
  10. sickofusernames

sickofusernames Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, I had same problem when I bought mine from Comet. 5 mins after buying I took it straight back to the Repair Desk and they got me a new one which is working fine.
  11. tomlou

tomlou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    After using the TomTom One XL for a trip 2 weeks ago, and having it work as it is supposed to, I turned it on today and it makes the TomTom sound, shows the Splash screen and then shuts off. It does this on battery and while on the charger. Resetting it has made no change.

I've hooked it up to the computer and to TomTom Home, did a restore, etc, etc and nothing happens. The TomTom help desk is closed for the day, but I want to find out what can be done TONIGHT. The PDF manual that came with my unit has nothing to help me.

I held the on/off button in for several seconds longer as it was starting, and got a black/white text screen with info on the unit, dates updated, etc, etc and under "startup mode" it says "sleep." I tried typing "sleep" and all that into the search function in Adobe Acrobat to search the manual and got nothing.

What do I do, short of waiting for TomTom to open up for customer support tomorrow?
  12. Supernaught

Supernaught Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I had a similar experience with my Tomtom One.

It didnt come with a memory card at all, everything was on the units own memory.

I updated and tried to add the speed camera database and was told the memory was full, so I inserted a blank SD card and copied the speed camera stuff to that.

When I disconnected the Tomtom from the computer and switched it on, I got the same error screen as the original poster.

From a lot of playing around I have come to this conclusion:

The tomtom will take its information from the built in memory, or the SD card, but not both at the same time.

I copied absolutely everything from the Tomtom to the SD card and switched it back on with the card in and it worked fine.

Whether this is a problem with the unit or intentional I dont know. I may even be totally wrong in my conclusion, but after a lot of playing around thats what I came up with.
  13. Super Milo

Super Milo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I turned my Tom Tom One on yesterday and heard the 'Tom Tom' jingle then the screen came up with the picture of the bus lane etc, but nothing else happens. It is locked on that screen and wont budge. Anyone got any ideas what I can do to get it going again? Cheers.
  14. Supernaught

Supernaught Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Get a pin or a toothpick or similar, and poke it into the "reset" hole near the usb port on the bottom. Should work fine after that.

If not, plug it into your PC and get Tomtom Home to run it. That should give it a kick up the arse.

Hope that helps.
  15. SOTHC

SOTHC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    According to Halfords there is a problem with the Tomtom website and they have had a lot of returns from people who have downloaded from the site. I have had to get a replacement unit as yesterday, I downloaded the latest upgrade and it cooked the simcard. I then only got the error sign and couldn't reset it or connect back to the computer. Halfords have recommended that I do not connect the replacement to the Tomtom website before April
  16. kevinx

kevinx Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They didn't mention April 1st, did they??