1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Sky Broadband

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by BigStu1972, Jun 6, 2013.

1. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    On Tuesday of this week the phoneline and broadband stopped working. I phoned sky and after putting my telephone number in to the system I was told that there was a known problem in my area and that the hoped to have this rectified within 4 hours. The phone starting working again by Tuesday evening but still no broadband so I rang Sky again and they did some tests from their end and said everything was ok but they would need me to be at home before testing further.
    My Wife called Sky this morning and they ran some further tests before telling her that we need to buy a new router for £69. It’s a bit of a coincidence that it stopped working on the day that Sky knew there was a reason and now won’t work.
    I guess I won’t know for sure until I try another router. Has anyone else experienced this with sky before?
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    It's obviously nonsense - especially the £69 - so the thing to do is get back to them in writing.
    The Satellite forum isn't the place for the topic though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Can I ask a sort of dumb question
    When I got Sky on demand they sent me another box to plug in to my Sky Hd box so that it could wirelessly connect to the router. Since then I have moved the router so that the Sky box is plugged directly in to it therefore negating the need for the additional box. Is this additional box also a rounter of sorts? I'm not at home so can;t check but wanted to know if it could do the job of my actual router or is it just used to get the braodband wirelessly to my Sky HD box?
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    No, it's not a router, and it is just to connect instead of the wired connection.
    Try again with Sky, and if the router is faulty, and if it was from them, it's up to them to replace it, either free, or for a whole lot less than the £69.
  5. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,088
    Sky can replace the router for you for free. If you agree to a new 12 month contract.

Do you have a non Sky Router at all? Or do you kno someone with a Sky router you can borrow for a few minutes?
  6. BigStu1972

BigStu1972 Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    I phoned Sky last night and they agreed to send me a replacement router for £2.31, which is the cost of postage. Certainly a lot better than £69.:thumbsup:
  7. Ari33

Ari33 Member

Ratings:
    +198
    We had a similar problem, we were in the process of switching over to BT when the DSL router suddenly refused to work. It was showing as connected and had an upstream and downstream speed but also had a solid red light.
    We called technical support but they were unable to do a line test because "the line must have been taken by BT" (3 weeks early) Yeah right!
    After many hours on the phone to them over 12 days and even having BT out to do a line test (No issues detected) they suggested that the router may be faulty but with us no longer having a contract with them I would have to take out another 12 month contract or pay £69.99 for a new one. That left us with no choice other than to just wait out the rest of the 3 weeks until our BT contract started. :mad:

SKY? Never again..