1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Intempo RDI

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by yorkshirecath, Jan 24, 2010.

1. smackak

smackak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Help, my Intempo RDI went wrong last week, it has just stopped working altogether (no power). I have check all the normal stuff like the fuse is ok :) but still no joy. I am wondering if this is the same issue as the CAP fault discussed here or something else.

Thanks
    Alec

PS. can you tell if the CAP has failed by looking at it or not?
  2. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you will not be able to tell just by looking at the cap - just replace it as per the instruction already provided - the repair cured all the problems on both of the RDI that I own
    they were both dead and now function perfectly.
    it only costs a few pence you have nothing to lose
    Dr Bob
  3. smackak

smackak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help, I did just that but I still have a dead unit. Oh well it was wortha try. I did test if the power was getting through the power board,I have 240 volts in but 0volts out on the other side.
  4. shiso123

shiso123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like everyone else I'm having problems with the RDI dock...but mine seems to power off and on again when volume level is turned up to high...this will continue to happen unless I reduce the volume . I've tried turning off from the main supply for about 15 mins or so and then seeing if that might sort it out...seems to work for a few minutes and starts playing up again. Have noticed to the left at the back of the unit gets quite hot when this happen
  5. timevans

timevans Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I have found this thread whilst searching about the Intempo ifi-01 digital docking station. My ifi-01 dock powers up, but will not produce any sound from either the subwoofer or the 2 right / left speakers. I have tried different ipod's and have even tried imputing the sound from the TV from the sound/jack lead. Does anyone else have any experience of this product / problem or know of any other threads specific to thus model.
    Thanks Tim
  6. RockJimford

RockJimford Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too had a soundless RDI. So it's with huge thanks to JohnSpencer, beetlseb and Chris_E that I've also repaired mine using the instructions posted here. Never before had I contemplated buying a soldering iron and fixing electronics.. Even better - my RDI now accepts and plays music from my iPhone 3GS which it never recognised previously. Magic.
  7. r1984

r1984 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks to this forum i have just fixed mine.. Thanks
  8. AdamP

AdamP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I replaced the capacitor as described and put the unit back together however it is still whistling. Anyone any suggestions or is it worth stripping all the caps out and replacing.

Thanks in advance all suggestions welcome

Adam
  9. Tron1275

Tron1275 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.... anyone had a problem with their RDi02 yet??.... I'm sure i saw someone with a similar problem to me, but cant find it now... I currently have it striped and am poking about looking for the problem... The only thing I can find is the 5volt from the psu is fluctuating.... the 22 volt(for the amplifier part..) seems rock solid(not true... either faulty operator or meter.. its fluctuating too!!)... but I cant make up my mind if the MODULE603 on the psu is faulty... I have googled about and cant find any info regarding this problem or the PCB(part number 173-38007-04 also marked ne3800power..) in question... anyone got this far/have the same problem as me??

Cheers

Chris..

P.s. I have taken picturees of the insides if anyone wants a look I will have a go at posting them on here??

The fault is:- turns itself on and off...puts the volume up and down by itself and then goes flat out volume... its like its posessed!!!!

Also there are 3 caps on the secondry.. a 1000uf 35volt for the main feed to the MODULE603, 470uf 35volt for the 22volt line and a 1000uf 10volt for the 5volt line..... im gonna try all 3!!!....
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  10. Tron1275

Tron1275 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update to above.... changed caps... a little better (????) But volts still fluctuate a little... it behaves better with the front panel un plugged.... any ideas anyone???

Cheers

Chris

Surly there must be someone out there who has this problem and sorted it..... im currently running it on 2 power supplies to try to eliminate the psu in the unit.. but i have a 5 volt but not a 22 volt one.... and the 19volt lappy psu just aint enugh to power the amp.....

????????
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. cimlakop

cimlakop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, hope you can help me. I have a intempo rdi 02 which I bought off eBay for £40 but is very quiet even when turned to max. Would replacing the cap resolve this issue?
  12. IFM

IFM Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amazing. I have gone through the tedium of joining this forum, which I will probably never use again, just to say thank you to everyone.

A more cack-handed attempt at soldering you will never see, but I put all it back together and it works! Astonishing.

And all I did was an internet search to see if there was any knowledge out there about why my radio wouldn't work, before I threw it away.
  13. bhedin

bhedin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to the contributors who posted the advice on replacing the cap in the RDi. I purchased my RDi 4 years ago. About 18 months ago it intermittently failed to produce any sound but a buzz. About 3 weeks ago it failed permanently. I had the same less than helpful communication with Intempo. I was about to buy a replacement but instead followed the advice in this thread and now I have a working machine at a cost of 44 pence plus my own inexpert labour. Many thanks.
  14. Alec75

Alec75 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my unit. I replaced the capacitor in question but it was still exhibiting the same symptoms. In fact I not only replaced the 5V smoothing capacitor (the one described), I also replaced the 18V smoothing cap, the main bulk caps on the primary side and also the main switching FET. The 18V rail is still fluctuating and is reduced when the power supply is warm and the display is fading out. I have decided to leave it as it is for now and attempt further repair work if it becomes too problematic again.

There is either something else in the power supply which is causing the problem or something on the main board which is dragging the supply voltage down. A colleague of mine suspects that the heatsink may not be of sufficient size for the main switching FET. It is definitely a heat related problem.

A piece of advice. If you are going to perform the repair described in this thread, it is probably good practice to replace all of the main electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. Take care when replacing the large 22µF caps on the primary side and ensure the unit is powered fully down for a few minutes to discharge.

Has anybody repaired one of these units to this detail who might be able to offer some pointers?

Cheers.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  15. Javidurio

Javidurio Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've just registered to say THANK YOU very much for the detailed instructions and the picture showing the faulty component. My RDi works perfectly again!!! Thank you!!!!!
  16. chinknits

chinknits Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone out there know where I can buy a replacement PSU for my Intempo RDi, I managed to fry mine whilst trying to replace the capacitor following the instructions in this thread. Should have left it for an expert!
  17. singinmgr

singinmgr Member

Ratings:
    +0
  18. adamhartdyke

adamhartdyke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm another faulty Intempo RDi owner who has just discovered this forum and thread! Ordered the parts - fingers crossed, I'll report back when I've attempted the repair!
  19. adamhartdyke

adamhartdyke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The fixed worked perfectly once again! Well done to beetleseb for identifying this problem and thanks to all who have added to the ease with which this repair can be carried out. Shame that the manufacturer hasn't stepped in with a plan to sort an obviously common fault in an otherwise decent bit of gear. Thanks also, to Maplin who had the part with me in under 24 hours (£2.99 postage for a 49p part is a bit steep, but it beats driving several miles in this weather)!
  20. avantime1

avantime1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just signed up to this forum to try and shed a bit more light on the power suppy problem on the RDi01.
    I have changed all the caps except the 22uf 440v ones and still have the same problem eg: it works for about 3minutes then power seems to drop and cuts off only when it gets warm.
    The main heat sink seems to get very hot,but the smaller on does not get warm at all.
    I tried to contact the maker in china but no response
    Any feedback would be very welcome.
    Just wonder if it is worth changing the large caps but maplin don't seem to hve them.:rolleyes:
  21. ARam

ARam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, this was great!
    unfortunately I got a soldering iron and come capacitors and did the repair as suggested but there is still no sound! The display works but I can't change stations. I can change the function but regardless no sound comes out of the speakers!
    Any ideas?
  22. gbcasual

gbcasual Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    There's one of these going on Ebay in about 10 minutes for under a tenner delivered at present. Sold as not fully working so might be worth a shot for someone....
  23. complicated

complicated New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like Tron1275 I have problems with the RDi02 (or RD102, same thing). My iPod Touch now doesn't recognise the RD102 when I put it in the dock. Has anybody fixed this model? Please???
  24. mbectb

mbectb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had 2 of them and both failed same way - ipod charging stops after a while, display goes dull and power is cutting out when volume is turned up. Switching fet is boiling hot when this happens.

After 2 days of digging in psu finally got them repaired and currently soaking them to make sure this is permanent fix.

Will let you all know soon how things are going. Fingers crossed...
  25. gbcasual

gbcasual Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Are you having a laugh or did you not read the thread? :lease:

49p for a capacitor and following of instructions in this thread is all that is needed as is clearly shown by the number of people who have done exactly that already!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  26. gbcasual

gbcasual Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Ok, so as a new member why not give some loving and share the details of the fix to everyone as was done for the original problem?

You say a little skill is still needed which suggests the fix is not that difficult so giving up the details would gain you lots of thanks.

You can offer your services of actually fixing anyone's box that does not feel comfortable doing it themselves.
  27. gbcasual

gbcasual Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Thanks, we're getting there :smashin:

Is the octocoupler any of those available from Maplin?
    Maplin Electronics : Optocouplers

If not a part number would be great so folks can order one up themselves.

I take it there is only 1 octocoupler on the PCB that would need addressing, so hopefully it should be easy to find.
  28. audiotec

audiotec Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi gb not maplins but rs have it and farnells i will post the part numbers in morning the little opto is on a sub pcb on the psu a good replacment about 1.50
  29. gbcasual

gbcasual Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Cracking.
  30. audiotec

audiotec Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the part required is SHARP - PC817X1J000F please note when fitting this part you will require a desoldering pump or braid, the four holes that the part fits in to are, through plated and if you make a poor job of removing opto coupler you will pull out the through platting,
    if you have done this,

you must solder top and bottom of opto couplers legs or the psu will be dead

Mod Edit: edited to conform to forum rules
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012