Prison Architect (Paid Alpha) Introversion

Yorkshirelion

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any Introversioners out there, Prision Architect is currently in paid alpha, the game is sort of a mix of the following with the heaviest influence being Dwarf Fortress, a hint of theme hospital and dungeon keeper. They have a kickstarter style payment tree with various options. I went for the $40 dollar option which worked out at around £25, the cheapest option being $30. Some people have been complaining about the price for an Indie release but I personally have no problem supporting them as I am a big fan of their games, here is the link to the website with the pricing structure;

Prison Architect by Introversion Software

For anyone that would like to see the game in action take a look at Northernlions look at it;

:smashin:

These guys have been around forever. It's about time they've actually got another decent title on their hands.

I'm amazed they've lasted so long. They've been cruising around on the back of Uplink, Darwinia/Multiwinia and Defcon for far too long - I'm surprised they have any money at all! Not to mention, they've pretty much been giving those games away for far too long too..

It's just a shame they've moved on from Vertex graphics :sad:

Last edited:
TheNameIsJambo said:
These guys have been around forever. It's about time they've actually got another decent title on their hands.

I'm amazed they've lasted so long. They've been cruising around on the back of Uplink, Darwinia/Multiwinia and Defcon for far too long - I'm surprised they have any money at all!

It's just a shame they've moved on from Vertex graphics :sad:

This did start with the vertex graphics as it came from the current corpse that is Subversion, I think a little of what happens with Introversion is that Chris Delay gets carried away with creating really interesting tech but sometimes that comes at the cost of an actual compelling game.

This did start with the vertex graphics as it came from the current corpse that is Subversion, I think a little of what happens with Introversion is that Chris Delay gets carried away with creating really interesting tech but sometimes that comes at the cost of an actual compelling game.

And he creates a huge delay in getting the games released (no pun intended :p)

Did you see Subversion, at all? They released some footage.

The game looked terrible :(

TheNameIsJambo said:
And he creates a huge delay in getting the games released (no pun intended :p)

Did you see Subversion, at all? They released some footage.

The game looked terrible :(

Lol he certainly does :)

Yeah I watched something where he explained why it was bad, however he used it as a tech platform to finally release a game this time, hopefully. The random city generator tech looked really promising in subversion. I kind of feel a little sorry for him in the way that he does most all the work on his own. Sort of a John Carmack type that you need to have someone else apply realistic expectations to keep on track otherwise you have good tech and a game like Rage. I'm impressed that they are still around to be honest as many studios have fallen by the wayside recently. From why I have played so far on Prison Architect it looks really promising and I just hope it gets some traction and is a compelling game.

Really cool little game, been playing it recently

This looks really good, but at £20 for alpha, it too much for me.

The trade off we're suppose to get for playing a buggy alpha is buying it cheap.

Now on Steam. Looks really good but not sure about the £20 price.

Looks like it could be a fun little sim, not keen on the £19.99 price tag though. Ummm what to do?

I wouldnt pay £20 for this if it was a full release title never mind to play the alpha ... This is surely an £8 release game ..

SHARKuk said:
I wouldnt pay £20 for this if it was a full release title never mind to play the alpha ... This is surely an £8 release game ..

I will wait till its in a steam sale, or if picked up cheap with a 4 pack if it gets one.

Quite a few threads on the steam forums regarding price. Supposedly the price is high because
"we want fewer people twho are more involved" Chris Delay explained "A smaller number of people who are really involved in the game and really want to contribute to the alpha process and really want to get stuck in; they want to post on the forums, they want to talk to us about their thoughts about the game. Rather than the mass,mainstream,millions of people that have paid 10 cents each who are actually immediately ****** off because the game doesn't work properly and they expect it to be finished already".

Last edited:
If in doubt, wait until the 75% sale! :smashin:

If in doubt, wait until the 75% sale! :smashin:

I kinda fancy picking this up for gaming when away... I feel like I'm going against my best (75% off) instincts! It's a bit steep at £20 for such a simple-style game. For £20 I could get a AAA title! Has anyone tried it, is it worth £20? Or could it be worth £20 when the game is finished?

I love the old Introversion games, they've all been great in the past - I've sunk so much time into Uplink that I could direct the Hackers 2 movie..

The reason I ask is that I read a review in PC Gamer (there were two articles actually), and it's almost swayed me to purchase it. They've said a lot of positives, but the game engine is still unbalanced (obviously, since it's still in Alpha). But I love sim games like these, they always prove a huge challenge...

It looks like Theme Hospital, but with vicious criminals. And if it's anything like Theme Hospital, I could sink also 100s of hours into this! :D

ive been eyeing it up, it looks really good, but twenty quid for this is just stupid, way too much, its not like it had the development costs of a triple AAA title

Last edited:
The price is all that has kept me from buying it, in fact, I am basically waiting for the Steam sale. It does look fun though.

You all paid more for SimCity, may as well spunk some on this :)

You all paid more for SimCity, may as well spunk some on this :)

That's true, SC at release still felt like it was in Beta. I've watched a review on Prison Architect and there's a few little niggles that need worked out, like, keeping bombarding you with prisoners! :laugh: In one review the guy was freaking out because he sucked at management sims.

What worries me about the game is that the prison is very one dimensional, how can they expect you to house XX amount of prisoners when you can't build more than one floor?!

I hope they add a sort of 'story' to the game, or add in specific criminal stories, that have special requirements.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom