Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD over HDMI - Dolby Digital Anyone?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by medicmanonet, Mar 31, 2008.

1. medicmanonet

medicmanonet Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hello All

I cannot not get PowerDvd to play anything other than PCM over HDMI (by selecting 2 channel speakers in audio tools). I can get it to play Dolby digital if I connect via optical and select SPDIF output in the audio tools.

I have my HTPC connnected to my Sony amp via the HDMI lead from my Asus 2600XT graphics card.

In my realtek audio properties for the HDMI connection it will play DD, DTS etc, and the amp sees these. Also if I play a DVD via Vista Media Center, it also shows DD on the amp (havent found a DTS dvd yet).

So the quesiton is, can you get PowerDvd to playback HD audio, DTS, DD, etc via the HDMI output from your graphics card?

I am sure its not a sound driver issue as the VMC plays DD on dvds over HDMI, so it must be a Powerdvd setup issue or it doesnt even support it.

Help?
  2. Ronski

Ronski Member

Ratings:
    +133
  3. Moviebuff

Moviebuff Member

Ratings:
    +111

I think in short, the answer is currently no on the HD audio front.
  4. medicmanonet

medicmanonet Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hmm.

just been on the Cyberlink forum and it seems to say that it will pass though 5.1 audio when you select SPDIF to your hdmi output.

I get sip when I select SPDIF.? I f I connect my amp via optical and the HDMI directly to the TV, I get dolby digital on the SPDIF? Maybe the audio driver is stuffed and cannot pass SPDIF to HDMI???

any ideas?
  5. Wo0zy

Wo0zy Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Fairly sure PDVD 7 has this problem. It is supposed to be fixed with PDVD 8 which offers HDMI as an audio playback device.

Obviously this only works for SPDIF compatible signals (DD and DTS), it doesn't allow for HD audio formats to be passed as bitstream.

The only HTPC solution for HD audio at present is to use multi-channel LPCM and even this can only be achieved using Intel G35 or the up-and-coming G45 or NVIDIA's new 8200/8300 solutions (still to be proved), unless you go down the analogue route.

Wo0zy
  6. ctantra

ctantra Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got the same problem with you. Have you solved the problem yet? With Realtek HD v1.95 and CyberLink PowerDVD v8.0.1730.0 still couldn't solve it.

PowerDVD 8 Ultra, cannot sent bitstream signal through HDMI. If I selected "use S/PDIF" from PDVD 8 sound configuration, there is no sound at all. I had to select just 2 speakers in order to hear the sound. There is no problem when playing DVD using Vista Media Center. So I think this is PDVD 8 bugs, or something? Anybody experience the same problem?

If you can solve the problem, please let me know. It's very uncomfortable to play dvd with the prologic. :) Thanks.

Regards,
    LimLim
  7. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    I'll chip in here as i've got bitsteam to work through HDMI and get up to 5.1 ch as expected.

My cinario is, i have a Nvidia 8600GT with HDMI and a motherboard that has a HDMI-SPDIF out audio connection, (This connects to the GFX card SPDIF input with a 2 pin cable and must be connected, so that Video/audio are combined on HDMI!)

The main cause of cut off or no audio via hdmi is to do with digital content protection required for HDMI and HDCP use (Slysoft anyDVD HD does not affect this as it is hard coded into the GFX chip)!

To support this you need the latest drivers for your audio and GFX card, and you MUST not have an analogue connection to the GFX card (eg. VGA or DVI-VGA adapter) or this will disable the SPDIF digital input, DIGITAL connections ONLY!

Turn off PC connect up the HDMI cable (only or with DVI inc if using dual monitors, no analogue must be present as above) and boot up the PC, bitstream should now be enabled and work with the "SPDIF" setting in PowerDVD 8.

Worked for me and hope it helps some of you guy's!
  8. llorc

llorc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @Hitman

sorry, ive got the 8600GS ( think nearly yours),
    and my question is:
    Which kind of cable is used, and where do I
    connect them?
    I understand a connection between onboard Sound
    (in my case Realtek ac888)
    and the Nvidia.
    But how to find the connection?

llorc
  9. -Hitman-

-Hitman- Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    The cable is similar to the red/black cable used with a chassis case fan, i couldn't find a suppler myself so i ended up making one from an old PC case cable.

The connections i have is a small 2 pin connector behind the GFX card HDMI port and a 3 pin connecton on the motherboard labeled HD_SPDIF of which the 2 pins used are gnd and signal, not +5v.

It should mention how to do this in the motherbaord manual if you have it, if not you could get the maufacturer and model of the motherboard and use google to find a copy.

HTH.
  10. llorc

llorc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks !

llorc
  11. NWM

NWM Member

Ratings:
    +4
    There are meant to be 2 audio cards later on this year from Asus and Azuentech which will allow HD audio from the HTPC. They will take your HDMI out and run into the audio card. Then add the HD audio into the digital stream (So to speak) and feed it out via its HDMI out to your AV Amp, this will then decode the HD audio.

So you will need a AV amp with HDMI in and the capabilities to decode the HD audio bitstream.

The ATI gfx cards are not meant to get the abilitiy to bitstream HD audio until 2009 (and thats only a very small rumour).

The audio cards are meant to work with specific playback software, since the HD audio has to be HDCP as well.

EDIT - Seems like there is a press release for the Auzentech product http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php
    Specifications http://auzentech.officewebsiteonline.com/data/xfi_home_theater_spec6-17-06.pdf
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008