1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Amp to match Lexicon DC1.2 v4

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by ShinObiWAN, Oct 5, 2003.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Lexicon DC1.2 with version 4 software for a good price of £900.

Now I need a power amp to get me going with the processor. I've been offered a Rotel RB985 mkII for £280. The Rotel is only a 5 channel amp but its got the THX badge and I can add another 2 channel Rotel amp later for the Logic 7, THX EX & DTS ES processing of the Lexicon.

Is this a good deal for the Rotel and more importantly will it show off the talents of the Lexicon or is it just false economy.
  2. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thats very good for that particular rotel.... even if you dont like it you can easily sell it at profit

ad
  3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Buns.

I was pretty sure it was a decent p/amp after reading a few reviews that were knocking around on the net.

It seems that its a pretty old model introduced around ~1998 and was discontinued around 2000. But its not the age that really concerns me just whether or not I'm going to be hearing better sound than my old Denon 3801 gave me.

The Lexicon looks very unassuming and dare I say it, basic. But I've fired it up and its onscreen menus are extremely comprehensive with a ton more options than the good old Denon.

The Lexicon was an ebay bargain for £900 but its got no manual with it. The owner simply says he's lost it even though he promised to forward it to me. Does anyone have a link to an online manual or can perhaps sell me a photo copy of theirs? Lexicon don't acknowledge that they ever built the DC1.2 on there website anymore so I can't get it from there :(
  4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Download the MC-1 manual. Very similar.
  5. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Was that the DC 1.2 from Laservision? No problem just interested. I did think of getting it and downloaded the DC-1 manual from the Lexicon site there are several revisions so I got the one with the lastest date.
  6. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    the power from the rotel should be way way superior to that from the denon, not even on the same planet.

ad
  7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No it was from a seller in Leeds. I picked up the unit yesterday after a quick demo and he offered to sell me the Rotel too should I want it. I may or may not take him up on that offer - still undecided and am thinking of waiting until I've sold my 3801 and put some extra too and grab a parasound or lexicon power amp.

Nathan, just downloaded the MC-1 and the DC2 Manuals, both offer very similiar features to whats included with the DC1.2. Cheers m8 though would still prefer a proper DC1.2 Manual.

Avanzato, can you give me link to the dc1 manual? I think I'm after version 4 if that makes any sense.
  8. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    The link is here I assume you'll need DC-1 version 4: Rev 1 of the manual.

£280 is a good price for the Rotel you'd be lucky to get a Parasound or Lexicon power for less than £700-£800 if you could find one.
  9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's possible the DC-1.2 is a standard DC-1, but with updated DAC's. I believe you could get the standard DAC's replaced. When the DC-2 came out the DC-1/1.2 was fogotten.

IMO I think you paid a little bit too much for the DC-1, considering the DC-2 has more input's, better DAC's. Smurfin bought a DC-2 with V4 firmware for about £900.
  10. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Avanzato, just what I was looking for.

Think I'll go with the Rotel for now and upgrade later, that way I can use the Lexicon straight off with no waiting ;) :D
  11. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan the DC1.2 has 24bit 96Khz DAC's not the 20bit ones of the DC1. This particular one with the version 4 software has Logic7, DD 5.1, THX Ultra, DTS, THX DD EX, THX DTS ES. But what amazes me is that it doesn't have pro-logic 2??? All those and yet it doesn't do this simply format. I've been told that Logic7 is very good for everything and some prefer it to THX EX and ES.

I definitely agree with the inputs on the back issue, they are limited but overkill for me still, I only use the CD, DVD and the monitor out. Some users would be limited by the looks of things though.
  12. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i think production was stopped prior to the advent of pl2..... but from what i hear, logic 7 is better anyway

ad
  13. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Wasn't Logic 7 developed by Jim Fosgate before he went to Dolby and did Prologic 2. Or have I got that all wrong?
  14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    The DC1 is very old indeed (relatively speaking) in it's original form it had to have an "up-grade" to decode DTS as i recall, i believe it's circa 95 or 96, although as said previously the newer versions of Logic 7 are a more than adequate alternative to PL2.

It has long since been deleted from production.

Steven
  15. kcw

kcw Member

Ratings:
    +7
    There's an RMB 1075 on ebay that might be of interest to you.
  16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid the DC/MC range lack DTS ES (and other DTS variants) it only has DTS processing, but it can apply THX & Logic 7 DSP's on top of this.

Also it doesn't have Dolby Digital EX, but it does have THX Surround EX.

Logic 7 can be applied to stereo & Pro-Logic sources (plus DD & DTS), the best modes are Logic Music & Logic Film (also just called Logic)

I should know, I own a MC-1, which is basically the same as DC range (except better DAC's, better Logic 7, more inputs, nicer looking)

Oh the DC/MC range doesn't have Pro-Logic II (or the x version) however some people rate Logic 7 higher than Pro-Logic II and even DD & DTS ES/EX (forget which one)
  17. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After pairing with a decent power amp, I think the pair will equal the AV-1SR and if it does I'll be happy - I've heard it and frankly its just too good.
  18. Paul Smith

Paul Smith Member

Ratings:
    +71
    avanzato quote:
    "Wasn't Logic 7 developed by Jim Fosgate before he went to Dolby and did Prologic 2. Or have I got that all wrong?"

Just to clarify
    Jim Fosgate wasn't involved with Lexicon or Logic 7, he actually worked in direct competition with them at Citation Audio (and Fosgate Audionics) with his 6axis mode. Before going on to PL2.

Paul.
  19. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    well if it were my money, i would spend it on the lex/rotel everytime without even thinking twice. You wont be displeased! :D

ad
  20. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Seems I got my Citations mixed up.

Edit: OTOH having read an article on the Fosgate site 6axis was developed while Jim worked for Harman International. He left in 97.
  21. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the input from you guys, I appreciate it and having a second opinion always helps when audio equipment is concerned.

Unfortunately the guy with the Rotel no longer has it for sale - didn't say whether he'd sold it or had a change of heart. I'm kicking myself now since I could have walked away with when I picked the Lexicon up.

Ah well, I'm going to keep on eye out for some good deals in the near future. Until then the DC1.2 is sitting proudly in my equipment rack - doing nothing :( At least I've still got my 3801 to listen to :( :D
  22. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    why not use the Denon as a power-amp via 6.1 input.
  23. kcw

kcw Member

Ratings:
    +7
    That's exactly what I'm doing with my Lex - using a 3802 until my Rotel arrives.
    There's definately a marked improvement in sound over the using the Denon's processing.
  24. Paul Smith

Paul Smith Member

Ratings:
    +71
    avanzato Quote:
    "Edit: OTOH having read an article on the Fosgate site 6axis was developed while Jim worked for Harman International. He left in 97."

Yes, that's right Citation Audio was owned by Harman International just as Fosgate audionics was before that (the Fosgate team did the Citation products), just as Proceed (Madrigal), Mark Levinson, Lexicon, etc... were also owned by Harman. But they were run independently with thier own product lines in competition.
    (I have a backlog of info on the subject, having been a Fosgate and Citation owner for some time)

By the way just to get back on subject,
    Jim Fosgate said of Lexicon "I think they have always been my number one competitors"

So I certainly wouldn't worry about not having PL2 on a Lexicon processor. I hope you enjoy the Lex.

Paul.
  25. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could I suppose but the sound is going to big drop from a pre/power combo. I think this is what I will do in the end as at least this way I can get it up and running.
  26. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    It was only meant as tempory suggestion/solution. 7 years of experience would surely tell you that.

Steven
  27. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problems Steven.

I was just a little reluctant to plug it into the Denon and find it was hardly any better. I really wanted to impress myself by just going the whole hog and buy a decent power amp.

Well I've got it connected up to the Denon now and I'm enjoying some very impressive surround sound. I can only have 5 channels working as the 3801 only has 5.1 inputs plus I only have 5 speakers, so that means no 5.1 Logic 7 or DTS Logic 7. But quite frankly I'm so amazed over the improve so far that I find it hard to believe it can get better.
    I can see why people rated Lexicon so highly, its easy to describe the sound. No matter how much action and effects are shooting around the soundstage, it just remains totally focused and smooth, never sounding pushed just composed. I've also noticed effects in Monster Inc. that I never knew existed - like the opening credits with the doors opening and shutting, the rears really get a good pull from the sound and its something that never happened on the Denon. The same goes with all the whizzing sounds on the intro too.
    Now I'm drooling just over the intro credits here! The opening sequence where the monster are in scare school is fantastic.

I've noticed it can sound a little harsh at times but I'm certain that this is the Denon amplification causing this as it used to sound the same when using its own onboard processing.

All in all I would recommend anyone to pick this processor up and if you pay around £900 as I did, I really don't believe you will get better sound this side of £3000. To me it sounds every bit as good as the demo of the Denon flagship AV-1SR I had and thats with a 3 year old 3801 doing the amplification. I expect a power amp costing around £800 will improve the sound well out of reach of the huge Denon.
  28. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    "This side of 3000.00" is somewhat optimistic/unrealistic.
  29. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the AV-1SR is £2500 and it sounds every bit as good as that using the very 'average' denon as ampage. Lets not forgot too that I haven't even started with 7.1 & power amps yet.

So I wouldn't say unrealistic at all. Certainly a better sound than any integrated would give. And all for what?? £900.

I'd hate to think how much money you spent on the Tag processor but I'm betting it was a hell of a lot more than £900. Granted it may be a better processor but were talking marginals here.
  30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX Member

Ratings:
    +77
    With all due respect, here are just a few "better" options for your sub 3000.00 price point.

Lexicon MC1 + Rotel rb985 could be picked up for approx 1700.00
    Lexicon MC1 + Parasound 1205 for approx 2300
    Lexicon MC1 + Parasound 2205 for approx 2600

Meridian 565 + Parasound 2205 for approx 2100
    Meridian 568.2 + Rotel 985 for approx 2800

Tag AV32r 7.1/B.P/192 (pre dual sharc) + Tag 5x100 for 3000 or there abouts

Arcam AV8 + Rotel 985 for 3000 or there abouts

etc etc etc.

Regards

Steven