Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portal 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Tejstar, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Great news, Portal 2 is official! Game Informer has featured the game on the cover of next months magazine. The game will be a "full-fledged, standalone sequel."

[​IMG]
  2. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    I've just squirted.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte Active Member

Ratings:
    +671
    ahhh, we're like the Trevi fountains :D
    (sp on the name?)
  4. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
  5. Digitalism09

Digitalism09 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's looking really great, my biggest concern funnily enough is that Valve try and make it too self referential and loop back to some of the jokes from the first game, though I have faith in Valve as they almost always know exactly what they are doing.

Also co-op mode should be interesting, I remember playing Portal with a friend and we both noted how co-op would be a good addition which would really test two peoples friendship as they try to time jumps through portals.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    Is co-op confirmed? That would make my day.
  7. Monopot

Monopot Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Oooh and its coming to Mac as well :)
  8. rodrubber

rodrubber Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm making a note here, huge success....:)
  9. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    From here: Portal 2 details - Half-Life Fallout

Right on the heels of the announcement, information from Game Informer's Portal 2 cover story is beginning to trickle onto the interwebs, and some of it is quite surprising!

A lot of time has passed since the events of the last trip to Aperture Science. So much time, in fact, one might call it hundreds of years. You read that correctly! More than a century has passed since the events of Portal, and much has changed. The labs are overgrown with foliage, a striking green contrasting against the clinical whites. Chell somehow returns as the protagonist, and the always delightful murderous AI GlaDOS returns as the antagonist.

Where Portal was seen as a 'test', Portal 2 is seen as a 'game', with all new mechanics introduced to keep things fresh. While the portal gun remains unchanged, the game world introduces a number of new ideas; reflection cubes will reflect lasers, special paint splatter will trigger special reactions (such as making surfaces bouncy), and physics will now play a stronger part in portal challenges. Placing a portal near an air vent sucking in air will allow you to direct that pressure, and physical reaction, to other areas of the level via the secondary portal.

Co-op now confirmed, players will find themselves not in the shoes of mere humans, but instead bipedal robots. Each robot will possess a portal gun and work together to solve devious puzzles in their own separate campaign. Communication being the key, Valve have focused on enhancing feedback; those playing on PC will be able to use a picture-in-picture box to see what the other player is doing, and players will be able to place information icons around levels to quickly direct each other to do the right thing at the right time.

Exciting times ahead! Keep your eyes peeled to Half-Life Fallout for more information as it breaks.
  10. siber0

siber0 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You just made my day.
  11. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire Active Member

Ratings:
    +496
    Excitement.

I like that they are now making 2 into more of a 'Game'. I enjoyed 1 but I completed it in a couple of hours.
  12. JamesMason

JamesMason Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm really looking forward to this :)

I hope it works out. My only reservation is, what made the first one so good was the compelling, yet simple story. The way the whole thing unraveled was just beautiful. Obviously we'll be going into this game knowing that GlaDOS is insane, so it's going to have to pull something else special out of the hat to make it as magical as the first.
  13. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
  14. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Pleeeeeaaaase let it be Episode 3 :)
  15. messenger

messenger Member

Ratings:
    +95
    It has to be HL3 surely ............ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  16. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Can't be, Ep 3 has to complete the HL2 saga first!
  17. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Yeah exactly, I've heard loads of people mention Half Life 3, I hope it isn't because Ep 1, 2 and 3 are part of the Combine (HL2) storyline.

Not that I don't want a new major version, but I think it would be an Episode (length, new features, story, characters, gameplay) in all but name. If it is an Episode, then that would leave the actual HL3 for loads more innovations, big improvements in Source.

If this surprise is Ep3, I suspect it's taken so long due to them improving Source as they go, as well as 2 L4D games and Portal 2.
  18. Knyght_byte

Ratings:
    +671
    With a bit of luck it'll be a 'Purple Box', HL2:EP3 & Portal 2 with L4D2 being the ickle freebie.

I don't really care, just so long as one of the games (HL or P2) is released by Xmas!!!!!!!...lol

Admittedly I'd prefer more HL based gamery, especially as it appears Portal is not being aligned to HL directly other than the Aperture Science/Black Mesa links on the projector displays etc. At least, I'm assuming it is not if Portal2 is set 100 years in the future....lol
  19. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    I'm not sure, some people think they are linking them, some not, it's hard to tell. There are subtle hints, like the AS logo on the ship, Glados mentioning that something really bad is happening outside (7 hour war?), but could all just be nothing. I think they'll keep both games totally seperate with HL being a shooter, Portal being puzzles, but link the stories a lot more.

All speculation though, as long as they release a Half Life game soon, I don't care :)
  20. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
  21. Michael

Michael Member

Ratings:
    +179
  22. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,979
    that Goes For for all games :D
  23. Knyght_byte

Ratings:
    +671
    Figured it would be when I got PC Gamer through the post the other day and it was on their 9+ months thing still :(
  24. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +516
    The surprise isn't Episode 3 apparently. He sent an email to halflife2.net:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/SomeoneMagazine/gabeemail-1.png

And Valve released a statement:

Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, Doug Lombardi.
  25. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

Ratings:
    +249
    I love Valve press releases :)
  26. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +218
  27. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
  28. RationalGaze

RationalGaze Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Some great new ideas in those videos, and the graphics look great. One thing I have never liked in Valve games is that they don't show the character's hands when you are carrying something, so it feels like I am playing a tech demo and I am constantly reminded I'm playing a game. It really stands out in the video where you see the character carrying the personality pod and he just floats in front of her and can rotate and move about any way he wants as if he is being suspended there. The same thing happens when you carry the companion cube.
  29. Monopot

Monopot Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Great videos there! Looks to be shaping up to be a great game again!

Owwww it burns :)
  30. semiskimmed

semiskimmed Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    i simply cant wait to get this, i really enjoyed the first one albeit short but now a 'full game' sounds fantastic! :D