1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable DAB/CD players?

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by Goldfiinger, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone have any suggestions for a portable DAB/CD player that i could get my girlfriend.

Basically her friend has one of the retro looking Roberts DAb's and she loves the look of it, we also get great reception on our main player. Problem is we're moving house and she wants/needs a new portable to take between rooms/garden.

Only downside is she loves her Cd's as well and i think it would be a waist getting her something that she cant play both on, only problem being no one seems to sell any decent DAB + CD portables. They all seem to be just DAB standalones, or DAB radio alarm clocks with CD player but not portable, .

Anyone know of any i should look at i'm just really struggling?

thanks
  2. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,164
  3. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Anything with a bit more style, remember the gf really likes the look of the Roberts radios.

The Roberts RD50CFM Gemini DAB digital radio

Don't understand why Roberts & Pure have such a small collection of DAB's + Cd combs...
  4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Because the last thing they want is direct comparison?:rolleyes:
  5. Hawkswood

Hawkswood Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sony now has a DAB/FM/CD portable which I saw in John Lewis today and is also listed on the JL website - the XDRS100CEK. It has a carrying handle, a telescopic aerial and runs on mains or batteries so it's a proper portable not just a transportable micro system. Not retro-looking like the aforementioned Roberts (maybe they ought to make one like that with a CD), this Sony however looks much smarter in real life compared to the rather anaemic-looking picture on the John Lewis website. (The product isn't yet mentioned on the Sony UK website as far as I can tell.)

The Sony has an aux input for an external source plus a line output for recording which are both 3.5mm jack sockets (judging from the back panel), a remote control, and the DAB radio has an EPG and pause/rewind functions. Based on a quick listen in less than ideal conditions, the overall sound quality isn't bad for £149 and I'm thinking about buying one for myself.
  6. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4