Popcornhour A400

Can someone please inform me on the current status of A400 regarding the following :

1)2D bd.iso playback over smb gigabit lan
2)high bitrate mkv over smb gigabit lan
3)Any issues with hd audio in any format type (mkv, bd.iso,3d.iso)
4)I understand 3d.iso is not possible over smb lan.Over usb everything is fine?
5)In 3d.iso films, the subs are in 2d or in 3d ?
6)Multichannel flacs are supported and with proper playback?
7)External subs are still inside the movie frame and not in black borders?
8)Any issues reading/analyzong multi streams?Theatrical, extended etc.
9)Anything else (serious or not)

Thanks in advance.

Only question I would like answering is if the transfer speed on the GB adapter is resolved. Biggest gripe I have transferring my files across to my A110 via FTP is the speed.

Another problem...i can,t seem to connect my mac with my pch anymore.
Where i formerly just put in the password:nmt
Login:1234
This does not seem to have any effect now,instead of connecting i get the message that a problem occured with the connection.
I did a reset of my modem then setup the network again witch all sucseeded but nonetheless,again it say,s the server does not excist or isn,t available,witch seems rather strange to me because the mac does see the pch-a400.i did do the latest firmware update yesterday.....could that be the problem???any help would be appreciated.

NMJToolbox | The Original Windows Editor for the Popcorn Hour NMJ!

Update:

1.2.1.3 - 13/02/13

Added
When Closing a DB in NMJToolbox2 the scan status is set to 'Complete' automatically (useful for people killing an NMJ scan then using NMJToobox2).
Added ability to change video file on TV episodes.
Scanner & Add new Movie - adding DVD Folder structure auto finds largest title (usually the movie)
Scanner should now only add a movie once for DVD Folder structure.
Updating a movie's mediainfo updates filesize (also when changing video file).
Added progress window to 'Add New Movie'.

Fixed
Selecting an entry then opening a different DB does not clear the fields down.
Changing from one DB to another gets incorrect paths in some circumstances.
Moving the one and only episode from a series to another series leaves the old series record behind.
Moving the one and only episode from a season to another series/season leaves the old season posters/synopsis/index record behind.
Moving the one and only episode from a series to another series leaves the old series posters/synopsis/index record behind.

NMJToolbox | The Original Windows Editor for the Popcorn Hour NMJ!

New update with a few bug fixes, some optimisations and a couple of new features.... Enjoy!

1.2.1.4 - 16/02/13

Added
Grey text on watched TV series/seasons/episodes.
Grey text on played Music Albums/Tracks.
Progress screen added to 'scan for new files' report.
Added Mark as Played menu option to music tracks & Albums
Added 'Reset Play Count' to music albums & tracks.
Added slight optimisation of grabbing images.
Error trapping when grabbing images so one image failing does not stop others failing.
Scanner adding TV episodes updates the series changed date (so new episodes added to the series makes the series go to the top in Date Order Mode)

Fixed
Using 'Change Video File' and selecting a file with an apostrophe in it's name causes an SQL error.
Synopsis not auto saved when changing language and updating.
In certain circumstances a scan causes the image grabbing to throw an error.

Hello VaderGR... to answer your question(s) I have been unlucky enough to own the A400 since Mid December and have found it to be the utter rubbish. I bought it mainly for Bluray.iso and 3D but the Dev teams @ Sysbas & Sigma are having major issues and nothing for seems to play without causing reboots or buffering rings.

1)2D bd.iso playback over smb gigabit lan -- Starts to play but looses sound and buffer ring appears...
2)high bitrate mkv over smb gigabit lan -- Starts to play but looses sound and buffer ring appears...
3)Any issues with hd audio in any format type (mkv, bd.iso,3d.iso) - Audio Drops out whilst playing have to change language and swithc back.. drops after 5 mins.
4)I understand 3d.iso is not possible over smb lan.Over usb everything is fine?.. - - even playing from local internal disk crashes with buffer ring..
5)In 3d.iso films, the subs are in 2d or in 3d ? -- Usually crashed and reboots when subs are selected.
6)Multichannel flacs are supported and with proper playback? - Nope all my FLACS do not play @ all.. over LAN
7)External subs are still inside the movie frame and not in black borders? - YES
8)Any issues reading/analyzong multi streams?Theatrical, extended etc. - Mainly Audio drop outs
9)Anything else (serious or not) -- Love the Android Jukebox although nothing plays except some AVIs.. but Buffer ring appears..

So apart from that its pretty crap... but im holding out hope that the Dev guyz will make this thing the mediaplayer of choice.. alought Monkeys flying outta my ass would be a better chance...

Hi,

Got my A-400 today, updated to the lastes firmware straight away, tried it out and i'm seriously disappointed.

There are so many bugs, it is almost unusable.

It really feels like it is unfinished.

I've been using a WDTV Live since it came out and while it is bug free and totally stable and reliable, i was bored of it and wanted to try something with more features. Boy did i make a mistake.

My problems so far with the A-400 are....

1) sometimes 3D BD ISO 's play for a few seconds then keeps buffering. (i have a 6TB NAS on a gigabit network)
2) Menus on the A-400 are slow and laggy
3) The Menus on DVD ISO's sometimes do not work, the picture of the menu's looks terrible compared to the WDTV and i sometimes can't navigate the menus to select stuff, the menu is just frozen.
4) When i select some 1080p MKV movies to play, the screen turns black, there's a ring circulating then it goes back to the main menu. (all these files play on the WDTV)
5) NMJ scanned my NAS perfectly, the app on my tablet worked great and looks amazing, but not all the movies i tried to start playing from the tablet actually started playing, it just kept going back to the main menu.
6) System freezes and reboots, as i type this now, it has crashed.
7) When selecting BD ISO's it takes almost 10 handshakes with my Sony AV receiver before the movie starts, the AV's screen flashes LPCM...DTS-HD...LPCM...DTS-HD...LPCM etc... and the A-400 shows a circulating ring which is blinking/lagging. (my WDTV never took more than 2 handshakes to start)
8) Skipping through chapters too quickly on BD ISO's will cause it to skip back to chapter 1 or kick me out back to the main menu.

i will report more faults when i get to use it more.

The possivies are

+ NMJ is beautiful and slick
+ Picture quality of BD ISO's are far superior the the WDTV

Overall my first impressions is it's a seriously crap and over priced unfinished product with some promising features and i really want my WDTV back for its stability and reliability.

but as I've just spent £200+ on the A-400, it will give it a chance.

*** before people attack me, i am using the latest firmware as of 20/02/2013 and the speed of my NAS is fast and the network is running sweet. ***

join the club pal. The A400 is NOT ready for use and should not have been sold
This is incredible that after all of these firmware updates, there are still many many problems; even the same problems that have not been fixed

If after a few months they have not fixed much, the question is how long is it going to take them?

I'm surprise so many people have stuck with it as the mede8er does everything perfectly. There is something quality about popcorn hour though and the build quality of the silver stone case is second to none. If only they could get it working !!!!

A few months Ive had mine Since it was shipped late from AdvancedMP3s mid Dec 2012 and cannot believe how long it has taken them to even get a standard player out of this box.. I cant even play MP4s or MKVs without sound drop outs or Buffer rings... I even enrolled with network media pychophants in order to get forum releases, but they are even worse.. too late to get my money back and too early to even be able to sell it as bad word n mouth. I am really hoping they pull it off though... fingers, legs and eyes crossed..

Wow, a lot of bad comments here on the A-400. I was about to buy one myself but I'm now reconsidering.

Are there perhaps other mediaplayers that you guys can recommend?

Wow, a lot of bad comments here on the A-400. I was about to buy one myself but I'm now reconsidering.

Are there perhaps other mediaplayers that you guys can recommend?

Dune Base 3D stream al my 45 3D.bd over NFS no buffering or drop outs the only bug is DTS-HD on some movies that they working on, until they release this there is a solution fix PCM its the same HD sound but the Dune processing it and with this enable all movies work even with DTS-HD it feels nice to know that streaming just works and it really fast in menus to. I had A400 but didn't get any files streamed without buffering.

Seems like all the sigma 3d players are hit and miss, The Dune base 3d thread is full of complaints as well, seems only the mede8er can playback 3d 100% of the time for 90% of its users.

After the DTS-HD fix for the 8911 on the a400 is when they started with buffer wheels and truehd issues, hopefully its not the same for the base 3d although the dts-hd bug is most deferentially the same bug

Yes but switch to PCM and everything hm just works :)
I would like to see a comparison between picture quality of A400 VXP and Dune 3D, some people say that HD sources its no different

Last edited:
Yes but switch to PCM and everything hm just works :)
I would like to see a comparison between picture quality of A400 VXP and Dune 3D, some people say that HD sources its no different

Switching Audio is not an option. thats like telling people just remux it to an mkv and it just works.

Switching Audio is not an option. thats like telling people just remux it to an mkv and it just works.
There isn't any switching of audio. All you are doing is getting the Dune to do the audio decoding instead of the AV receiver. You still get the same DTS-HD MA audio out the speakers, just a different device decoding it.

Mark.

There isn't any switching of audio. All you are doing is getting the Dune to do the audio decoding instead of the AV receiver. You still get the same DTS-HD MA audio out the speakers, just a different device decoding it.

Mark.

the base 3d has full 7.1 decoding? Or does it only after installing the pcm patch?

Last edited:
I don't own one, but AFAIK yes it does - like all their other players except the TV models.

Mark.

there is a few pictures done by the .fr reseller here they are

Test VXP A-400

if the differences are so small in DVD (SD) content i doubt anyone can spot differences in blu-ray.

their blu-rays images stuck in loading screen i guess ;)

more negative comments. Looks like I am sticking with my A110 and researching a non popcorn product as a replacement now.

Seems like all the sigma 3d players are hit and miss, The Dune base 3d thread is full of complaints as well, seems only the mede8er can playback 3d 100% of the time for 90% of its users.

After the DTS-HD fix for the 8911 on the a400 is when they started with buffer wheels and truehd issues, hopefully its not the same for the base 3d although the dts-hd bug is most deferentially the same bug

But the mede8er has a chip that is of less quality right?

I have absolutely no idea which one to buy right now, but I really want a mediaplayer (I dont have one yet).

Well, maybe I should wait for some updates which solve the popcorn or dune mediaplayer. The one which solves the problems the fastest might be the best buy for me I guess (although I'm not sure if I want to wait that long). Hard choices..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom