Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popcornhour A400

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by next010, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Yes, I haven't added multiple disc detection in NMJToolbox2 for a couple of reasons:

1. everyone has different naming conventions ([disc1], [cd1] etc.)
    2. There will be relatively few multiple disc entries in any one library so its a bit of minimal manual editing and once it is done you don't have to touch it again.
    3. I'm lazy :D
  2. robhart84

robhart84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does any body have any experiance with the a400 against a Dune TV303D.

I used dune before and never had any problems until i decided to upgrade to the TV303D (big mistake so far). I basically cant play pretty much any of my 200+films because they are mainly DTS HD or true HD, 3D iso also doesnt work and as i sold one to a client of mine who wants the 3D function im kind of in the sh.t.

Basically i need to know if the audio output to an AV amp works properly with bitsreaming and does the a400 support 3d iso and does it work.

Thanks in advance
  3. Stoke192

Stoke192 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    If working 3D iso support is important, then as a owner of Both the A400 and a Mede8ter 600X3D i'd be inclined to go for any of the Mede8ter X3D players as I've had the best results with my 600X3D (streamed over GB network using NFS shares) and it also supports 3DMVC in .mkv, which gets around the probs associated with seamless branching titles.

To be fair to the A400 it does support 3D BD iso (best results streaming over GB network using SMB shares) but it's not perfect atm although it is improving with successive firmware updates.
    The A400 doesn't support 3D MVC in .mkv (currently) so has the same probs as the dune players with regard to seamless branching titles.

Both the A400 and Mede8ter players will bitstream HD audio of both flavours without any probs (that I've encountered) to your amp.

Although the A400 has the better hardware and greater potential (in theory), as of now the Mede8ter players offer the best 3D iso support.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    NMJToolbox | The Original Windows Editor for the Popcorn Hour NMJ!

Update! – Probably the most major update I have released in a single update

NOTES:

Italian UI language added (thanks to CBR 900 for the translation!). You will need to download the language_it.zip pack from the nmjtoolbox website and extract that zip to your NMJ Toolbox2 exe folder for it to display in Italian.

Added some custom indices to the database. This will speed up NMJToolbox2 on some people's databases, especially if you have a large one with lots of music or movies & cast in. It may not speed up your database, it may actually make it slower if your DB is smaller. I found a 3x speed increase on my DB. Index entries have a hit on performance when updating/adding but greatly increase access in specific circumstances. So, try on your DB and see. There is an ‘Add' and a ‘Remove' option on the settings->system menu.

As I do not know the update procedure on the firmware I do not know whether this will interfere with NMJ updates (new versions of NMJ, not scanning) so I would advise to remove the custom indices before a firmware update (you can always add them back in afterwards). Adding the indices will make your DB larger (by about 10% in my case) but NMJToolbox2 should load it's trees (music & movies) faster.

Added Music scanning, I think I have ironed out most issues, there are a couple still in there (it puts tracks from 2 different albums into the same album in some rare, unknown as yet circumstances.). Note, it only scans in MP3 and FLAC files at the moment. Make sure your tags are good otherwise you will get some unexpected results!.

Now scanning for music is added, if you use the unattended (commandline) scanning option then it will default to scanning BOTH types (music & Video). I will add further options for command line in a later release.

Anybody else who wants to translate their language should use the latest spreadsheet:

NMJToolbox Translation Spreadsheet

Please complete and send back to me to have your language added.

1.5.0.0 – 08/06/13

Added/Changed
    Added Italian translation (You will need to download and extract manually the language_it.rar file into your NMJToolbox2 exe folder).
    Updated French Translations on the ‘Add Audio' screen (you will need to update the language_fr dll pack).
    Added Music Scanning (only scans MP3 & Flac currently (as they have tags!)
    The previous scanner button now scans BOTH Video AND Music
    Added separate buttons for Video and Music scanning
    When adding a new entry, if a node is selected that node's folder is the default location opened to browse.
    Added opening the current selected node location to the ‘Add Entry' menu(s).
    When scanning stopped the tab always moving to the movies tab.
    When scanning and the year is supplied and there are multiple films of the same year and title, the most popular film is auto selected.
    Removing unused music artists from the database in the ‘Delete Orphans' option.
    Selecting the ‘Change Video File' option the open file dialog now opens the folder that contains the currently added video file.
    Added facility to remove unused music genres from DB in ‘Delete Orphans' function.
    Tweaks to indexing.
    Tweaks to improve startup speed (slightly).
    Stopped ordering cast by name – displays the most prominent (first on TheMovieDB) nearer the top of the list.
    Speed improvements on deleting Music Album.
    Speed improvements when updating media info on a music track.
    Speed improved on drag & dropping tracks between albums.
    Added to settings->system menu facility to add and remove NMJT2 custom indices. This speeds up loading of tree data (Movies & Music). The remove option is there to bring the DB back to stock in case it interferes with future NMJ/Firmware updates.

Fixed
    Error in paths when you have media and DB on the same drive (internal or direct attached USB). Caused the ‘open containing folder' function not to work on these setups.
    When right clicking a node and moving the mouse quickly before the menu appears the node is sometimes moved to a new node
    When on the Music tab and changing the UI language, the treeview is empty.
    Changing UI language does not always change the ‘Select Images' groupbox text correctly.
    Scanner when ‘Allow prompts in scanning' is NOT ticked ignores the film year if there is one which causes incorrect movie selections in some cases.
    Multiple double clicking on datagrid column in ‘Add Audio' when there are no entries causes and exception.
    Treeview reloaded twice after a video scan.
    In some circumstances the scanner puts episodes in a wrong season group when the title of the series is the same as the beginning of another series (very rare circumstance).
    Error adding a music track when there is no track number stored in the tag.
    ‘Open Containing Folder' not opening correct location when there are ‘ in the path.
  5. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762

Latest Update:

1.5.0.2 – 18/06/13

Added/Changed
    Added Dutch UI translation (download the language_nl.zip and extract into your nmjtoolbox exe folder)
    Updated French translation.
    Updated Italian translation.
    Added Bulk ‘Fill missing album art' facility (scans the album folder for cover.jpg, front.jpg or folder.jpg)
    Enabled drag & drop of music covers from a web browser.
    Enabled the cancel button in bulk video image update
    Speeded up drag/drop of TV episodes and seasons, Move episode to new season & new series (no reloading from database)
    Added facility to sort tree view by ‘Search Title' (ie ‘A', ‘An', ‘The' etc is ignored)
    Sort order of treeview is saved to the parameters
    Enabled Season No field on TV so you do not have to take the context menu option to change it.
    Changing season number no longer has to refresh, it manipulates the data programatically.
    Allowed Cancel Progress whilst still scanning folders in a scan
    Added setting on the 'System' menu to allow setting of a path to an external audio tag program. NOTE: you need to put the full path to the tagging program executable. The external tag application must accept paths to open as a commanline option (I recommend MP3Tag)
    Added to right click menu of an album 'Edit Audio Tags' - This laumches the folder that the first track in the album is contained in.

Fixed
    ‘Save' menu item French translation.
    Error adding Album art when there is a &#8221; ? < or > in the title
    Removing an image from a movie or album had the potential to delete the wrong artwork.
    Moving an episode to a new season does not create a poster or synopsis records for the new season.
    Moving the only season to a new series does not remove orphaned/unused genres & person records.
    Moving TV Series elements in some cases leaves various orphaned records.
    Selecting a playlist with an incorrect sequence, if you say &#8216;yes' to resequence, the display in not cleared first.
    Changing the sort order of the tree view leaves the progress bar at 100%
    In some circumstances the tab view becomes disabled making it impossible to switch tabs.
    Changing language on the settings menu disables the tab control
    Exception when drag/dropping an image from a web page and the image/URL cannot be processed.
    Errors displayed stating no season/series records found when adding a TV episode for a brand new series or season. Note, this is an NMJToolbox2 processing error and your database is NOT corrupt/incorrect.
  6. jctcom

jctcom Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually there are still a number of issues with The A400 especially with regard to streaming over the network. in addition to the 3D ISO not working at all (Pauses so often as to make a movie unwatchable) It also will not stream any movie with Dolby TruHD across the network without pausing and choking. The only exception I have found is that with my Synology NAS Server I have the ability to "Mount" an ISO to a folder on the NAS. When I do that then I can get 3D ISO to play. The only problem with that is that it only works over SMB and the A400 keeps deciding that the shares no longer exist for SMB until you do something to reset the network card on the NAS. Also if you are looking to it for playing music it will start Pausing after each song if you have a playlist longer than about 12 songs and especially if you have added songs or albums on the fly. Also in the same time period it will start playing one song and displaying a different one (Usually the previous one). If you are listening to HD Music (24Bit / 96KHz or 192KHz) Then about 30% of those songs / Albums will produce silence.

For my money the A400 is not fit for sale to the public as all of the issue have existed since it's inception and now 8 months later most of the major ones still exist.

Carl.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  7. Spookyville

Spookyville Member

Ratings:
    +1
    agreed. The network dropouts still exist on a regular ongoing basis (despite several bits of kit tested with it) resulting in a power cycle to get running, sad state of affairs for a "network media player".
  8. detroit1

detroit1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is laughable, I bought this last Nov and had to return it because of all the playback issues and they STILL have not fixed? When are people going to figure out they will never fix all these problems
    Sigma Designs bailed out on the chip some time ago
    Did any of these people actually test this unit BEFORE putting it for sale?
    having a couple minor problems early and then fixing would have been ok; instead it is several problems right from the start and very little change after 8 months
    Unacceptable. I am glad I returned mine and got my money back
  9. halfelite

halfelite Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Sigma did not bail on the chip. It just got a new sdk from sigma not long ago.

For the most part network drop outs have been fixed for a lot of people, still a handful of users are still effected by it. seems very random. I use my a400 as my dedicated player without issue. I dont watch very many 3d titles. but for the ones I did watch I had no issue over samba. Seems most users run synology and it does have issues. I had no issue with my custom built nas though. But 95% of my viewing is all mkv/x264 with dts or dts-hd audio and I have no issues apart from I was getting a constant lockups every night. Which seems to have resolved itself as last 3 nights no need to reboot.

It went from everyone having issues. To the same 20 people can not seem to get it to play anything correctly. Im starting to wonder if some have a hardware defect and just think its a firmware issue.

And as for flac music sadly seems like Sigma did dip in this as all the players starting with the 8670 series and after have been effected.

I still use my A400 over my med 600x and been testing the ouya with xbmc but a400 still gets my vote at the time.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  10. saguk1234

saguk1234 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I am thinking of sellin my C300 to get the A400.

I am not interested in 3D but I do play bluray ISO/MKV with hd sound via SMB from an Unraid server.

Is the A400 still rubbish?
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. redfed

redfed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes

rgds Damon
  12. Stoke192

Stoke192 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    lol, I wouldn't go that far, yes it still has issues with 3D iso's , quite why Syabas doesn't admit defeat and implement 3D mvc in .mkv is a mystery to me, but that debate is for another time.

Anyway, I stream 2D BD's (folders rather than .iso's) using nfs shares from my Unraid server as I've had best the results rather than smb.
    Also .mkv files tend to buffer over smb but don't when using nfs shares and as your using Unraid, nfs shares are easy enough to implement.

Cheers
  13. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Everybody's experience is different. I, like Stoke192 do not use 3D I also have very few ISO files (I use folder structures which avoid ISO overhead and also mediainfo can get full info which it can't with ISO).

Unlike Stoke192 I have no issues with SMB, streams fine on all of my media from my Synology NAS. I use SMB because they are auto mounted by the PCH where NFS shares are not.

I do have the network drop issue - which some people have, some do not. Mine drops every few days and a reboot is required. So yes, it has issues, no, the issues do not affect me that much. Its a judgement you have to make.
  14. Stoke192

Stoke192 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I do find it odd that i have better results with nfs shares rather than smb shares as I've always preferred smb as their easier to set up and my previous pch a-110 never had any probs at all with them.
    The A-400 however, whilst watching .mkv's (tv or movies) i get buffering every 5 mins or so with smb but not with nfs, whether that's specific to unraid, i don't know, but that's how it is for me and my setup.
    I do watch 3D material and it was the primary reason for getting the A-400 and i have mixed results, with some iso's working without any probs and some buffering but best results are via smb shares oddly enough.
    Also, using DVDFab (movie only remux) gives the best results (for me) with 3D material.

There's a new RC out for unRAID (15a), i'm going to load that up and see if there's any improvement (re smb shares).

Anyway, i'd just thought i'd share my experience with the A-400 and unRAID.....so far :)
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  15. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    Stoke, give the advanced network config app from the app store a try. There are 6 different profiles to try which may increase (or decrease) your network throughput. This may solve your buffering on SMB. I personally use profile 3, but don't have buffering using any of the profiles.
  16. Neowulf

Neowulf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

For local HD *mkv files is the A400 good?

I have an old WDTV that stutters with heavy *mkv files.

Is the A400 a good buy or should i go to the A300 instead?
  17. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    Of you don't need 3d then I would personally opt for the 300
  18. aaronwt

aaronwt Member

Ratings:
    +0

I have a couple of A400s' and they have been working great for streaming my 2D BD ISOs(full) and most of my 3D BD ISOs(full) over Samba. I'm streaming from several unRAID setups and a WHS.

And it's working with Dolby True HD when streaming from my BD ISOs. Although it does take around 10 to 15 seconds for the audio from the Dolby TrueHD track to kick in. But it has no issue playing it once the audio starts. No pausing or choking from either of my A400s with Dolby TrueHD tracks from my BD ISOs.
  19. Rom

Rom Active Member

Ratings:
    +762

Latest update of NMJToolbox2 released

1.5.0.5 - 29/06/13

Added/Changed
    Process article enabled on artist when selecting 'Update Media Info' on a track.
    More error catching for invalid data (invalid title type and update state - common in restructured DBs from NMJv1)
    Allowed 'Get MovieDB Images' to work on the IMDB TTID if the content ID is not completed.
    Removed the 'Use API3' menu option - its irrelevant as it has always used API3 on Themoviedb for months.
    Removed all code relating to API2.1 on the movieDB as it is never used.
    Added ogg/vorbis files as a valid filetype to the music scanner.
    Added support for TV files using the [season]X[episode] format to have leading zeroes on the season number. There MUST be a space before the season number as well.
    Added export nfo file support on movies & TV episodes. Bulk export also available.
    Added progress window for 'Optimise Images'
    Changed season 'Year' and 'Aired' date to be the first episode of the season's aired date rather than the season 1 episode 1 date.

Fixed
    Exception thrown when audio tags have a correct format but invalid date (eg 2006-00-00)
    Handle music recorded dates in tags that are in the format YYYY-DD-MM (caused an exception)
    Album artist display not updated when updating mediainfo on an album.
    Exception in some cases when scanning and a new episode to an existing season is added.
    Error in music scanner on some occasions where it is a different album but the same artist (eg 'Various') it puts all of the tracks into one album.
    Startup splash displayed in the previously selected UI language.
    Fixed display of currently updating track path when updating mediainfo (only showing the first track on the album)
    Optimise Images never does anything when 'All' or any music option is selected.
    In some rare circumstances drag/dropping a TV episode gives an 'index out of range' exception.
  20. saguk1234

Ratings:
    +144
    How is the a400 now with the new firmware?
  21. halfelite

halfelite Member

Ratings:
    +66
    its getting good praise in the firmware thread. I have not tested it yet. And firmware been out for 10 days and only 4 pages of good things that people are saying rather then 40 pages of hate. So seems like a good sign. Everyones go to test video wreck it ralph 3d I guess is playing for everyone.
  22. saguk1234

Ratings:
    +144
    I have a C300 with a internal hdd where I store my YAMJ jukebox. I have now put the hdd nside the A400. I have installed NMT without wiping the hdd. How do I update YAMJ so that it picks up the change?
  23. neilalford

neilalford Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just tried playing back my first ripped Blu-Ray, The Hobbit, ripped to disc as the full Blu-ray file system, but on playing it back I don't seem to get any audio when playing the DTS-HD track (Dolby digital is fine). I've checked that my amp (Denon AVR-4311) supports DTS-HD and it does but it looks like it doesn't think it's receiving any audio over HDMI. I see some early reviews of the A-400 mention problems with DTS HD, are there still issues? Or if not, any other suggestions? DTS HD seems to playback fine from my Blu-ray player.
  24. AntonB

AntonB Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Presumably you have HDMI audio output enabled and it's configured to output DTS as bitstream rather than downmix?
  25. neilalford

neilalford Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, they're both set up right.
  26. halfelite

halfelite Member

Ratings:
    +66
    No issuis here with DTS-HD and the hobbit 3d are you sure you are on the dts-hd stream?
  27. mr.black79

mr.black79 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Thinking of treating myself to a PCH, could do with something to watch BD MKV back ups. Looking online to check

Is a 7200rpm internal 4TB drive safe to use or should I stick with 5400rpm

Can I expand with external HDD via USB, I'd like to add something like portable 2TB HDD in future.

Am I right in thinking I can instal NMJ on that external HDD, think I read with Dune you need to select which HDD when theres more than one rather than the whole library popping on screen
  28. halfelite

halfelite Member

Ratings:
    +66
    A 7200rpm drive will work but finding either a green drive or 5400rpm is better, You can plug as many external drives as you like to it, There are some users with 12+ usb drives hanging off there a400.

Yes and no. If you have both an internal drive and a usb drive NMJ will install to the internal drive as in store the db on the internal drive but it will catalog both the internal and usb drives and display them
  29. mr.black79

mr.black79 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks, I'd rather stick to 5400rpm to be safe, having trouble finding one so far. According to netwokwiki this 7200 is fine http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005SZ622W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AI8VAIUFQZS2

If I follow with NMJ, though installed on the internal, it will include content from ext hdd on it's movie wall for selection making it seamless.

Looking at the manual, picky I know, but surprised to see two buttons are needed to put it into standby.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  30. xomoxo

xomoxo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Due to some bugs, I'm thinking in change my Dune HD Base 3D for a new player, like the PCH A-400 or a Mede8er MED800x3D.

I read that the A-400 had some very important bugs related with network play in earlier releases of the firmware, but the latest ones I read that works fine. In the other hand I have the Mede8er which have no important bugs and its users are really happy with it.

Thinking in the future, the A-400 is a more powerfull system, with abilities to high quality upscaling and image optimization, but maybe at the moment is a little buggy yet, and since I change the Base 3D due to it's bad firmware support (in the past Dune was a reference on this way, with really stable systems, it's a shame this new way), I wouldn't like to select a new nest of bugs streamer.

Anybody could tell me if the A-400 with the latests firmwares is really stable and relatively bug free?

Thanks to everybody!