1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor standard of music (particularly British)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by RMCF, Apr 30, 2002.

1. RMCF

RMCF Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    There have been several posts/debates over the last few weeks about the standard of music and not what it used to be etc. And how marketing has taken over and the likes of Pop Idol persuades 10,000,000 to lift the phone and vote. And how these great 'idols' seem to be just made to churn out more cover versions. Anyhow, the reason for this post is that I just heard yesterday that, for the 1st time since the early 50s (or even before - can't remember exact dates) the US Top 40/75 does not contain any British music. That is rather scary cos there is a lot of dross in the US too, so the dross over here must be worse. Any thoughts?
  2. groundy

groundy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The charts over here are entirely influenced by the kiddie market. While they remain the largest buying sector, I doubt much will change. Still, nice to see groups like Oasis can still make it to the top spot, even if they were knocked off by the Sugababes and S-Club Juniors. :mad:
  3. john87

john87 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    90% or so of the charts is woeful.

The worst is the boy & girl pop bands i.e. S Club 7 :mad: they are awful.
  4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Hip hop is the main musical force in the world at the moment and Britain just doesn't seem to be able to produce it (Garage is a pale immitation)

RDB :)

PS Don't worry too much about the manufactured TV bands; it's just a phase (I hope!)
  5. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I never listen to the charts anyway and it is not representative of a wide choice of music. It is simply what the record industry want you to here and to force the sheep of this world to follow the flock and buy their records.
  6. Lex

Lex Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There was an interesting piece on News24 the other day about this subjet. They suggested that music around the world, rather than becoming more global, is actually becoming more regionalised. The French charts for instance have many more home grown acts in their top 40 than ever before (far outnumbering english US impots).
    Of total album sales in the US in 2000 British music made up 2% -
    In 2001 that number rose to 8% purely because of the release of the Beatles 'Number Ones' album!

I do feel that the standard of British music has fallen - I think a big problem is that so many acts here are trying to imitate US artists.

There is sooo much great music around at the moment in this country but it just doesn't see the light of day because of all the Pop Idol rubbish! Radio One is the biggest culprit - they seem to pick 3 or 4 songs a week and then just play them over and over again until they get to number one in the charts. :rolleyes: :mad:

I also regret the fact that a number one song is so easily ahieved and meaningless these days! 10/15 years ago it was a great achievement to get to number one, and to debut at number one was unheard of, now it just happens every week! :(
  7. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There is loads of good music out there, and i would not be downhearted about elton john not doing well in the US (because the real brit stuff, their no keen on) House is still the biggest thing, in terms of clubland in this country and only charted 12 years ago. there is a place for everything. If you don't like pop, U need to listen more to steve Lamac (a good mix of music) and less of the main stream shows like miss cox. And oasis are old news,and in no way are they the best band in mancheters music history (and are mainly hated). In the 80's we had duran duran, shakin stevins, abc, and the other $hite that came with them. I think, this debate just goes on,and on. I think were making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill. I mean robson an jerome:rolleyes: that was a good few years ago... The wheel keeps turning
  8. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Im a D.J .. nothing big, I can just mix and play out a bit ...

If you look into the dance culture, you will see that the U.K is very big at the moment.... Not only do we have U.K Garage (you may not like it but its huge in the states)....Hardhouse, with U.K Lables are really sort after in germany and the states again...

U.K garage is just taking off in germany, Im playing in Germany in june and ive been asked to play mainly upfront U.K stuff....

And Ill play the classic ...Its a London thing....
    Here in the U.k we are not doing that bad.... dance stylie ....
    Only what I think...
  9. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    House may have started in the states, bit it's the uk that put it on the map.
    Every time you mention your a dj i want ten pence:) it'll pay for my hols in july:D
  10. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, house charted (pump up the volume) 13-14 years ago was it 88 or 89 sofaboy? I think house getting in the charts was the worst thing for house, as once the beer-heads got hold of it, it lost something:( Hearing young MC's "Know who" blasting out of yates, on the way to the Hac always sent a shiver down my spine:mad:
  11. uncle eric

uncle eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here like Frank Sinatra :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Eric
  12. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Who?

RDB :D
  13. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Was he married to pat, and then peggy mithcell, Eric?
  14. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    I think Radio 1 is to blame for a lot of the crap music. The dj's play whatever they are told to and most of it is garbage. I agree with Seany Boy - listen to Steve Lamac - he's always played good stuff and I get the impression he plays the stuff that he likes to listen to and not what the producers are getting backhanders to play
  15. Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What about Tim westwood, and the dream team? Both on 1. Black britain is taking over the Airwaves-about time:D
  16. Lex

Lex Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That's just the sort of thing a middle-aged white man would say! :rolleyes: :D
  17. tomson

tomson Member

Ratings:
    +190
    And Tim Westwood looks pretty white to me ;)
  18. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Seany boy, I have to keep banging on about me being a D.J because I dont have a lot else going on for me...... I can't sing (didnt stop Westlife) I can't play a instrument (that didnt stop Westlife) and I can't dance (err...there's a Westlife theme here!!)

Got to go as I have to do some very important D.J things

:(

I O U ... 20p from this message, seany boy..do you take cheques?

Later
  19. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    15p for cash
  20. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cash is a problem seany boy, as im getting married in August, but more importantly im trying to buy a better center speaker (god I hope she doesn't read this)

Couldn't I just come round and clean to pay off my debt ..... if yes ..... i'd hide all your HC stuff... cause id probably nick it..cause im a geeza..a little bit whey a little bit woaw..... god bless the fast show !!!

:D
  21. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No that won't do! whats your rarest tune? that will do:mad: ;) I have no Hc gear by the way:p
  22. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    well as you asked and Iam a D.J (damn 10p) my rarest tune and one of the best... you might find only D.J's (damn 20p) have it... is

Circus Bells (HARDFLOOR MIX) by Robert Armani ...... pure class !!

Do I have to pay you when I tell other people (i.e my mum) Im a D.J as well??? (god 30p)
  23. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    only djs have it!!!!! come on, you can do better then that:rolleyes: It's a £7 tune mate:rolleyes: you must have rarer then that my young mc's "know how" worth £20

oh i'll have the 15p:rolleyes: :D
  24. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ok then I'll buy your circus bells off you for £7 quid then... is it in good condition?

:p
  25. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you can have my strings of life for a tenner a real classic:p oh £10. 15p
  26. sofaboy

sofaboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    if your serious seany boy, Ill buy that off you mate.. that is real quality tune ..

You got me looking through my tunes the other day, to find my rarest, and I think it must be.....

Gravitational arch of ten .. by Vapour space, as it was on the original label ..plus eight (Richie Hawtins label)

I also have an old Kenny Larkin tune on +8 as well, which I forgot I had..... old age kicking in ... who said the drugs dont work ?? oh yeah the verve.....

:eek:

Was the £10 for the tune or the back payment I owe you for the D.J mentions?

Keep in touch with yourself....
  27. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!! Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed;) no sale:( Have you ever heard of 'space face' by sub sub? from 91. It's a tune;) Narra mine-Cutter is another stormer:)
  28. infomatique

infomatique Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me it was no better in the sixties or 70's or the 80's or the 90's ... many of us have distorted memories. However, there has always been worthwhile music available but it takes effort to find it.