Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMC TLE1 mini review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Lowe, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lowe

Lowe Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Hi all,

Well, for the last week or so I've been listening to this sub. As I'm sure you know it's a seriously expensive bit of kit; the retail price is approaching £2k or more. Like all PMC's, the enclosure is transmission line based, with a pair of 6" drivers driven by a Bryston amp. The spec sheet suggests a performance down to a respectable 22Hz at -3dB. Independent reviews have suggested that it doesn't really plummet to these depths, so I was interested to find out...

Luckily I didn't have to spend my own money. :)

Initial listening is surprising. It packs a serious punch given the size of the drivers and enclosure, and it never fails to raise a smile when you hear it being given a leathering. It's a very musical sub, with little overhang or ringing - given it's design and main purpose for studio monitoring it succeeds. However, for film and movies? Nope - I couldn't recommend it. The tactile sensation is missing. I've not measured it's response in my office yet, if I get chance next week I'll hook up REW and see what it's kicking out.

So - value for money? Not a chance. It's a brilliant sub for music, but not at the asking price. I doubt it makes financial sense given the performance even going for a second hand unit. That's a bitter pill for me to swallow. I'll happily put my hand up as being a PMC fan boy, but even I'd be hard pushed to hand over my hard earned for this one.
  2. Hammerhead1234

Hammerhead1234 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a huge PMC fan and I totally agree with the above, they do also make a passive sub with a good size driver which is supposed to be good for films, however given the cost better products can be had for less money, SVS as one example
  3. Lowe

Lowe Member

Ratings:
    +69
    That'll be the SB100. They do an activated version of it, but the bottom end response still only goes down to 25Hz. It's the same piston driver as used in the IB series. I've got a pair of IB1's in the office at the moment and listening to War of the Worlds my Monolith shows them both a clean pair of heels for tactile bass response. Music's a different ball game again... :)
  4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,224
    I must admit I had always assumed the extension on this would be modest just going by the specs but it is good to get real feedback, so I appreciate you taking the time to post.

How does the upper bass slam differ from the Monolith? I would hope the design really kicks as well as stopping and starting on the proverbial dime?

Adam :)