Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please wait...

Discussion in 'PS Vita & PSP' started by LeeDicko, Mar 14, 2012.

1. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Now I've had my Vita for about a week now and I'm already getting a bit bored of the message "please wait...".

Don't get me wrong, I love this device... But why does it need to log off the PSN each time I am on the home screen? I know the WIFI disconnects when it's idle to save battery, but then each time it has to reconnect again anyway and then log into PSN. Surely there could just be an option for this?

I also hope they patch the friends system, it's actually such a chore to see if your friends are online and to see what they are doing (again, if you've been disconnected from PSN, it has to go through the whole "please wait" stuff again).

Like I said, I do love my Vita... but I just hope some of these things get patched to make things a lot quicker and user friendly...

Anyone else bugged by these things or is it just me? lol
  2. Barryl85

Barryl85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    It really bugs me too, I wish it was more like Xbox Live where you just stay connected and you can view what your friends are doing / playing on their vita in real time.

All the connecting / not connected nonsense is annoying, anytime I play Fifa it always tells my in game that im not connected to the EA / PSN servers even though when the game starts up it connects me to the servers and I can play online too.
  3. mufc4eva

mufc4eva Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Annoys me too to be honest.

The message system bugs me also.
  4. oasismark

oasismark Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,953
    Yes im same,

All it needs to do is connect when you boot it up and stay connected.

Turning wifi off to save battery should be in the options menu, so it can be disabled.

I never know if friends are online or not, as booting up an app to see is too much, and i dont think its lazyness, it just should be there.

Sony are crap at menus and OS's
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Barryl85

Barryl85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Glad to see others with exactly the same opinion as my own, it would definitely change the Vita's online experience into something special if they change it.

Lets hope its something Sony will change / improve but i'm not going to hold my breath !
  6. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    It's so close to being perfect, but these things for me are quite a big deal and could honestly end in me getting rid of my Vita which I don't really want to do.

Another thing is, when you click an icon (say for friends list) why do you then have to click start on the page that comes up... It just feels very clunky and long winded. Like oasismark says, I never know who is online unless they come online while I am playing, as I can't be bothered to click through all the menus (and then for some reason I have to log onto the PSN again) just to see!

I am not holding my breath for them to improve it either... anyone who designed this and thought it was a good/easy way to do things must be a bit mental imo!
  7. mufc4eva

mufc4eva Member

Ratings:
    +99
    I don't think it is that bad that you need to sell the vita but it definitely needs improving but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Also have no idea why you have to press something twice to open it.

Is your PSN ID the same as your xbox one Lee?
  8. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Yeah I am going to stick with it for a while and just hope it gets improved. I guess I am so used to the 360 telling me the second someone comes online and by pushing one button you are able to see what everyone is doing ect.

Nah it's mrleelee123 mate, feel free to add me :)
  9. mufc4eva

mufc4eva Member

Ratings:
    +99
    You can also do what the xbox does on the PS3.

It would have been much better if they had the PS3 layout, the PSP did so why change it?
  10. Workshed

Workshed Member

Ratings:
    +149
    I'm pretty sure they changed it pretty much just because the XMB wouldn't have been particularly touch friendly - it had to become more like iOS/Android without being a complete copy ;)
  11. PygoShlee

PygoShlee Member

Ratings:
    +146
    I'm pretty sure Sony/ Android are pretty close anyway!
  12. Tokoloshe Man

Tokoloshe Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +420
    I appreciate everyone has differing views on things, especially when it comes to gaming but we really are becoming lazy as a nation when people are talking about selling their Vita's because they have to make two clicks to get to something. Yes I admit some of the menu's could be better but are they really that bad. The wifi does turn back on when you need it and the Vita does let you know when someone comes online, does on mine anyway. you can press the Ps button whilst in game to access other menu's as well.

I'm pretty sure it does take more than one press on the Xbox to see who's online, you have to press the guide button and then go to your friends list. Yes the Vita isn't perfect, nothing ever is but for me it's a pretty impressive bit of hardware that could be improved even further with firmware updates.

Just give it a chance.
  13. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Oh come off it, it's hardly people becoming "lazy" just because they want a streamlined device which makes doing things on it easy. 16 seconds from unlocking my device to checking my friends list. 16 seconds isn't a great deal I suppose, but that's every time I want to check it. I can see why people don't know who's on or offline bearing in mind it takes that long!

On another note, I had a friends request on there that I didn't know about until I went into the friends section, shouldn't this popup as soon as I got it?:confused:
  14. Barryl85

Barryl85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Well if I have a view on the two clicks to open stuff it seems quite a good idea to me as when you click it the first time you are in like a management screen for that App/Game which has its own UI and handles updates and other useful stuff like viewing your friends recent activity / DLC and other stuff.

This I have a problem with, I don't get notifications as I should a few times my mate has asked to play some Fifa and he will send me an invite and i'm thinking hmmm wonder if he's sent the invite yet and sure enough when I go into messages - there's the invite but no notification popped up at any time. On other occasions it comes through just fine.

The next problem with invites is you have to leave the game, go to the main screen and into messages to get an invite only then to go back into the game. Surely you should be able to have a small sub menu for game invites while the game is on the screen like the guide menu on a 360.

Another idea would be when the notification pops up that it should be a reactive notification that you should be able to press on and it takes you straight to accept it, rather than pressing PS button to then press on top right hand corner of screen then into the notification.
  15. daymouse

daymouse Active Member

Ratings:
    +423
    I find these kind of things annoying but it's the 1st release of the software hopefully Sony will be listening and make improvements in the near future! While I mention this how were they with updating the psp/go etc? Did they get many updates to improve functionality?
  16. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,411
    I can honestly say the messaging system is the only thing that annoys me. I'm not bothered about it connecting back to the network when it's disconnected. It takes seconds. I don't expect things to be instant.

People really are too impatient these days. I remember the days of speccy games taking around 15 mins to load. :eek:
  17. oasismark

oasismark Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,953
    I get both sides, are we really moaning about having to wait a few seconds to see if or friends are online of not?

But then again, its a given these days, we want things instantly, and we expect it, it is an issue as we are talking about it.

I think the thing is it needs to be on the dashboard, not in a separate app that needs booting up.

Say your in game, it should be: press PS button to pop out the game to the dash, top right you have your notifications button yep?, well could have the same thing bottom right, tap that, see the friends list, done.

The good thing is its a software issue and it can be updated.
  18. Barryl85

Barryl85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    If you love online gaming and are used to Xbox Live, then the Vita is quite primitive.

Why would you want to appear offline when you are on playing your console?

The whole point of online gaming is to be online?

An example if my mate came on his Vita he could see I was online and shoot me an invite to play, instead what he has had to do is text me to see if I want a game, I mean really? Is that what people want to have to do?

On the Xbox my whole friends list can see i'm online and no matter what game i'm playing they could invite me to a different game or chat, that's online gaming, that's how it should be done.
  19. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm not arguing that point at all. What I meant to say was I don't mind the wait for when it connects to the network. I agree it's annoying the way the network is setup. My main bugbear is the messaging system combined with it. For example in EG if I'm in a lobby and want to invite my mate I go into messaging but then on my return it disconnects me from the lobby. Really really annoying. And for me the 15 minute delay in messages is unacceptable.

And yes Ive owned a 360 since day 1. Like I said I was just mentioning that I don't have a problem with the time it takes to reconnect. I do have a problem with the whole online connectivity.
  20. Barryl85

Barryl85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Ahh, sorry I picked you up wrong !

Yeah I know what you are meaning, same thing happens when I accept a Fifa invite when it takes me back to Fifa it has to connect to PSN and to the EA servers again.

For me, I agree with what you are saying the 15 seconds or however long to connect to the network is fine but only if once you are connected it stays connected!
  21. Jimmi

Jimmi Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Have you tried opening up your friends list and then loading your game with the friends application left running?
  22. LeeDicko

LeeDicko Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Fair point, it loads up pretty snappy if you leave it already running. Think I will just leave it open, thanks for the tip.
  23. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    One thing that bugs me is for example- Im playing wipeout 2048 (which has very good online integration) but i have to leave my vita for a few minutes only to come back to it in standby mode. I then wake the Vita and carry on only to realise im not connected to PSN anymore.
    There is no way to connect back onto PSN in game. Unless ive missed something?

So i have to re boot the game just to get the bloody thing to connect.
    Thats the most annoying thing ive found with my Vita so far.
  24. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,308
    Just exit it, and start up your friends list, or the livetweet app or something net related.
    That should kick the online back into place surely?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  25. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    Mmmm, yea that should work. I will try it later on today.
  26. humanfish

humanfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +577
    Completely agree with the OP.
    One of many clunky, disjointed and convoluted UI experiences on the Vita. Some of the design choices truly baffle.

Great games console though. As is often the case with Sony, great hardware, software (not games) leaves a little to be desired.