Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help - Denon AV7007 vs AV7005 vs SR7007 vs SR7005

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by ukchevy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ukchevy

ukchevy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Owners, experts and anyone in similar position, please help.
    I have ready many reviews and forum posts and I can't work out which is best value for money and what the differences are between the new Marantz products and the older ones.
    I already have an Arcam AVP700 with external power amps and the reason for changing is I can't play HD audio.
    1st question is whether to buy a processor or a receiver and not use the integrated amps.
    New products are the SR7007 and the (due October) AV7007 (some call it AV7701)
    Old products are SR7005 and AV7005
    A quick google and prices are around:
    SR7005 = £850
    AV7005 = £1400 (should come down when AV7701 comes out)
    SR7007 = £1300
    AV7701 = £1500 (pre order)
    My 1st thought was to wait for the AV7701 but then I though, apart from 3 HDMI out, what's the difference vs AV7005.
    2nd thought, does the older AV7005 really sound noticeably better than a SR7005?
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +112
    What about using an Oppo BDP and getting HD via analogue out to your AVP700 saving you money and probably getting better sound? You might even get a nice dealer to loan you one to try.
  3. ukchevy

ukchevy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is WOW, this sounds like a great option and it even takes SACD and DVDA but I am a little unsure for the following reasons:
    The HDMI outputs, are they both 1.4a?
    Networking, would it take movie streaming from my media player which can stream SD and HD movies.
    Last thought, and it's a big one. My Arcam sounds pretty good but most newer units have the ablity to set speakers up far better than than I can using Audyssey (XP or XP32) or ARC
  4. chienmetallique

chienmetallique Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Probably best to read this http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

You are right regarding EQ, modern AVRs make it easy, however most say it is Bass EQ that matters most, perhaps look at an Antimode and still be under cutting the new AVR cost.
  5. ukchevy

ukchevy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Oppo looks pretty good so thanks for the recommendation, problem for me is I want the best sound I can afford and that would mean buying the 95 and if I did that it won't save me anything.
    Also buying a Marantz or Denon would give me everything I want and more (HDMI switching, auto sound setup etc) oh, and the Marantz looks (to me anyway) pretty cool.
    I think the decision will be to wait until October then either buy the AV7007 or AV7005 if I can get a good deal.
    Ideally I want a good quality £1000 to £1500 AV processor with XT32 and HDMI 4a switching but without all the money wasting bits like internet radio and Airplay but I can't find one.
  6. Harvey

Harvey New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You thought about the Audiolab 8200AP processor? Apparently has amazing sound and without all the crappy internet services added on top. Retails about £1200 I think but sure you could get a deal somewhere.

You would need some power amps though which could break the budget?

8200AP - Audiolab
  7. ralphmalph

ralphmalph Member

Ratings:
    +139
    What are your sources now?
  8. Harvey

Harvey New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you were talking to me I currently have an Onkyo NR818 but am thinking of getting an Audiolab and using separate power amps.

By the way Oppo have a new Blu Ray player coming called the 103 I think. Looks good...
  9. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    At this point just buy a digital HD processor, they've been around for a while now and some brands are on the third iteration now so there is some actual scope to actually get deals on them now. Imho sticking with the analog option for HD audio at this point is way more hassle and cabling than it's worth and locks you out of some of the more modern features offered these days. Plus you have to spend a fortune on a BDP with decent audio processing and setup features and no other sources get the benefit of a HD processor either.

I wouldn't knock internet radio and the streaming features until you've used them, very very useful and I wouldn't buy a processor without it now at this point the convenience factor is very very high combined with an ausio server running on a NAS and if you're bothered about losing CD quality then for example the Marantz will play back FLAC rips and I think it might also do ALAC (not that I have any).

The measured figures for the AV7005 are better than those of the SR7005 whether thats important to you is a personal choice. How much is 'inky blackness' and how much is marketing and gullibility is up to you.

I personally prefer having my amp and processor seperate as the basic technology of a power amp hasn't really changed in years and I like having the ability to add more power, change it or go valves if I really wanted without messing up my processor and vice versa.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012