Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play ALL files (avi, mov, mpg, wmv) on PS3!!!!!

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by windowsdan, Aug 3, 2007.

1. windowsdan

windowsdan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There is an easy way to get your PS3 to play any files you throw at it...
    YES this includes .avi and .divx files!!!

1. Download or buy Nero 7 Ultimate
    2. Install and run Nerostart
    3. Click on tools and then NeroScout
    4. Enable and index the folders where everything is kept
    5. Then close and go back to NeroStart
    6. Click on Nero Mediahome
    7. Enable settings for network to run and discovery of systems
    8. Click Start Server at the bottom
    9. Don't close this but have it running (you can minimise it)
    10. Look on your play station and it will apear as Nero
    11. Flick through the files and clicking on an .avi or anything it plays!!!
    12. Nero 7 transcodes the video as it sends it to the PS3 so it will play
    13. As long as you have a fast connection it will be perfect!!!!

My messenger for problems.... dand@orange.net

Have fun :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. peepingtom

peepingtom Member

Ratings:
    +55
    or you could use tversity for free mate
  3. windowsdan

windowsdan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough.

I hadn't heard of it.

:oops:
  4. peepingtom

peepingtom Member

Ratings:
    +55
    ah i wasnt taking the mickey or anything mate .... just that there was a big discussion in here just after ps3 launch time.

all info people are willing to share is good
  5. windowsdan

windowsdan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nah that's cool man just wanted to make sure that people knew there was at least one way of doing it.

Cause I spend bloody ages getting annoying with the fact that it didn't play avi's and now I have found an answer it's heaven!!

:thumbsup:
  6. ruffage

ruffage Member

Ratings:
    +121
    Not sure what codec etc, but my Pentax Optio S4i's avi files play directly from the PS3 no problem.
  7. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger Member

Ratings:
    +29
    quick question il try to keep it simple

the cable comes in to my office,
    then into a modem
    from this goes a rj45 network cable to a router
    then from this comes 3 cables
    1 to ps3
    1 to 360
    1 to pc

is this the right set up for streaming to the ps3
    i can never find any console using tversity or nero

any advice would be cool
  8. Bushido

Bushido Member

Ratings:
    +58
  9. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger Member

Ratings:
    +29
    ok after arsing around with all the settings on my pc

i seem to have got it working

then went through the instructions above.....:eek: it works

however....

i have indexd the folders with photos and music and some video, mp4 wmv
    mpeg stuff but....

when i goto the ps3 it says nero media home (sqweeky)

then folders

music
    photos
    videos
    collections

all of which are empty how to i get it to descover the files

i have indexed and alowed all privileges to thease said folders

:rolleyes: help
  10. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger Member

Ratings:
    +29
    i sorted all my files out now

just one folder called ps3 and then point nero scout to that

before it was indexing my whole hdd :suicide:

just poped a hd file in, shrek 3 hd trailer, some other stuff too

it was jerky.....so i left it jerky for about 1 min, out of a 3 min trailer

and then pressed L2 and it started again, smooth hd lovelyness

thankyou windowsdan :thumbsup:
  11. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +364
    Can Nero pause yet ?
  12. reckless

reckless Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I'm having a bit of trouble with Nero. It's found all my MP3 files but for some reason it's only bringing over the song name for a large number of songs - the name of the artist and album (and album artwork) isn't appearing. I thought it might be that the ID3 tags were different on some files but there seems no rhyme or reason - the same album, ripped at the same time, will have some songs appearing with all the correct details whilst the remainder won't. I used an mp3 tagger to try a few files but it doesn't seem to have done any good.

Also, I can't seem to get it to load songs in the "all music" setting past the letter "L" (I assume this is to do with folder size?) the odd thing is, if I access songs via the artist, then I can get the songs to play all the way to the letter "Z".

Also, I'm finding some avi files seem to go out of sync. I can't get dvds to play properly (but I think that's more to do with the fact that I'm using wireless).
  13. Sqweeky Badger

Sqweeky Badger Member

Ratings:
    +29
    yes all the probs your having might be down to wirless

it doesnt handle hd well ether

i had the same problem with my music it only went to k then nothing....

what i have found is that scout seems to keep adding as you go so, it might take a while for them to appear, the rest of my files did....

but after i came back form taking the dog out an hour later

also iv found that i likes dedicated folders make 3 on your desktop and point scout to them only also how much music are you streaming i had about 1gb, so over wireless with any more would take forever to index not to mention to transecode if it does this on the fly, plus you pc might not be up to all this conversion, (nero likes duel core)
  14. windowsdan

windowsdan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found that if I use the internet on my PC wirelessly and then plug the PS3 directly into the back of my PC using the lovely CAT6 ethernet cable they gave you. You can Bridge the wireless and Local Area Connection in windows to give you 100mb transfer for Nero 7 streaming of avi's and then the PS3 doubly uses your internet through your computer through the wireless card.

This would solve the slow down of playing files or getting the indexed listings to come up quick enough even if you do not have a fast PC.

You do however need a relatively fast PC if you are going to watch a high bitrate file across the network even if it is plugged in because Nero needs to transcode the file as it plays it (convert it if you will) so the PS3 can read it in mpg format.

:smashin:
  15. reckless

reckless Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm running a dual core 6400 so would have thought it's got enough "go" in it to do what I'm trying to do.

I was trying to stream an audio folder over 20gb in size so I suspect that even getting to "L" was an achievement :D I did leave it for ages but it was determined to stop at "Last Train to Clarksville" - perhaps my taste in music is so bad that it gave up at that point.

I'm going to analyse a few of the files that appear/don't appear to see if I can identify if there's some info that's causing the problem (I've tried rewriting ID3 tags with no joy). No problem with playing them though - takes a while to start or change songs but it streams with no hiccups.

As for the avi files, I can't quite suss out the problem with the audio sync. If I play the files on my PC then they're fine, likewise if I burn them to disc and play them through my dvd player. Some of the files play perfectly but others are completely out of sync. There's obviously some difference between the files but I can't identify it as yet.

I wasn't really expecting a dvd to stream well over the wireless as I don't get a terrific strength signal on the PS3 at the best of times. I was toying with the idea of getting some homeplugs - my mate's got a set on his HTPC and they work really well.

Also, I can only get Nero to work if the share all files referenced by nero scout is set - if I set it to just share selected folders, nothing appears.

Still, thanks for the comments.
  16. reckless

reckless Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Just an update to say that I've installed Tversity to compare. Initial impression is that it's a lot better. It streams (and correctly identifies) all my music (although it doesn't add the artwork to the music files but instead stores them all in the pictures folder).

Obviously it won't stream protected iTunes files but at least they show up in the list (which they didn't in Nero). Streamed a couple of AVI files with no probs but there were a few tv episodes that were out of sync on Nero that I need to test it on.

If they work ok, I may invest in a set of homeplugs so get a little "oomph" into my connection :cool: