Pioneer VSX-LX52 Owners Thread

Nice choice of kit, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But if you can try and go for better/bigger front speakers. The Monitor Audio Radius HD speakers are very good, but the VSX-LX52 amp is capable of driving much bigger/better speakers that the 250HD's and IMO the amp is a bit over specced for the Radius speakers.

But as I said there's nothing wrong with what you have chosen, and I'm sure you'll love the set-up it's just the LX52 can handle much more!

Thanks for that - which speakers would you recommend bearing in mind they need to be wall mounted and match in with the TV and which sub would you recommend?

Based on the fact they have to be wall mounted and around your screen, then 3 x 250HD's actually are a good bet, not much else I can think of that'll be much better.

As for the sub, each to their own. The Radius 370 sub, I like, but there's nothing to say you have to go with a Radius sub, so any subwoofer from any manufacturer would be fine, but if you do go for the 370, then you won't be getting a bad sub by any means.

Don't forget the free iPod offer with the VX52 combo which we are doing for £1,299. Also the free blu-rays you get by buying the BDP-LX52!

OK taken the plunge and bought the kit. Is it possible for anyone to advise me which cables would be best for the Sky HD, LX52 amp, LX52 blueray and Monitor speakers and sub-woofer. Thanks.

OK taken the plunge and bought the kit. Is it possible for anyone to advise me which cables would be best for the Sky HD, LX52 amp, LX52 blueray and Monitor speakers and sub-woofer. Thanks.

I used QED silver anniversary

I am thinking of getting VSX-LX52, but I am unclear if it can stream DSD without converting to PCM. The owner's manual did not indicate clearly on this.

Anyone using VSX-LX52 to play SACD on shed some light on this?:D

Just got these yesterday can't wait to set it all up tonight, anyone know how long it roughly takes to get the settings on the amp working? hope it won't take too long as I can't wait till i finish work.:D

if youve wired it up properly, it shouldnt take long at all.

the amp will tell you if you have or not. e.g. putting a positive wire into a negative speaker terminal.

set the subwoofer bass boost to "0db" and then run the MCACC calibration (you'll need the microphone handy) put it to wherever you think your head is going to be. if youre in the room, make sure nothing is blocking the microphone's airwaves.

takes like 10mins.

but i did it like 3 times, to save 3 different MCACC positions in the room.

i think setting up the amp the way you want it takes more time, i.e. the wiring, inputs, renaming inputs etc.

whack on 3db on your sub afterwards, put it on AUTO SURROUND, with THX, and you should be happy.

congrats on getting the same set up as me ;)

the amp will tell you if you have or not. e.g. putting a positive wire into a negative speaker terminal.

set the subwoofer bass boost to "0db" and then run the MCACC calibration (you'll need the microphone handy) put it to wherever you think your head is going to be. if youre in the room, make sure nothing is blocking the microphone's airwaves.

takes like 10mins.

i think setting up the amp the way you want it takes more time, i.e. the wiring, inputs, renaming inputs etc.

whack on 3db on your sub afterwards, put it on AUTO SURROUND, with THX, and you should be happy.

Thanks for the info sattapaal, should save me some time setting everything up, and hopefully get everything working ok, just in time to watch District 9 in HD.:D

takes like 10mins.

ill try sticking my sub up 3db

what are you actually gaining with the THX setting ?

im not sure if mine is set or not, will check when i get home

johnny, there are numerous arguments for and against THX. You'll know if you have THX turned on (its the button under the ALC on the remote). If you whack a DVD/Blu Ray on with DDigital/DTS Soundtrack, instead of it saying DDigital/DTS-HD it will say "THX Cinema". The quickest way to test is if you put it on a Sky Movie Channel (if youve got the digital out working).

I think the post-processing is supposed to provide clearer dialogue and boost the lower-bass.

just googled your set-up, the sub looks really nice. not sure if you would need the extra bass with those floorstanders, but give it a go. s'all trial and error ;)

is District 9 on Sky?

Has anybody ever had the problem where if you press the Power button (top left) on the remote control the amp does not turn on.

I've had this a few times where I've had to go and press the button on the amp itself. When I've done this I can immediately turn off and on from the remote.

Am I doing something wrong?

Has anybody ever had the problem where if you press the Power button (top left) on the remote control the amp does not turn on.

I've had this a few times where I've had to go and press the button on the amp itself. When I've done this I can immediately turn off and on from the remote.

Am I doing something wrong?

yes! this has happened to me once or twice, i have decided to never press the button on the amp itself. its like:

if you switch me off from the amp itself, you have to turn me on from the amp.

dunno why this is.

yes! this has happened to me once or twice, i have decided to never press the button on the amp itself. its like:

if you switch me off from the amp itself, you have to turn me on from the amp.

dunno why this is.

I don't think I ever switch it off from the amp, i'm just too lazy :)

So I think it has problems still if I turn it off from the remote. I am wondering if it's time related in anyway, maybe does not work from the remote if you don't use it for a certain time. But that is just a guess.

I certainly can't figure out the logic behind it.

Hi,
I own a LX52 with KEF PSW2500 subwoofer and 5 Wharfdale speakers.
The LX52 is new, it replace the Pioneer 1015. The KEF PSW2500 already was installed with the 1015 AV receiver.

I have setup the LX52 with "large" front speakers, and "small" other speakers. Selected the subwoofer as "yes" (or even "plus").

The issue is that there is no sound from the subwoofer.
When playing a DVD or blu ray and increasing the volume, you can feel the subwoofer a bit vibrating.
Even the MCACC in the LX52 does not detect the subwoofer.

The other speakers are playing well.

Has anyone experience with issues like this? Any help is appreciated! :lease:

Thanks!

Dre

As you have a subwoofer your Large speakers should still be set as Small and suitable crossover setting applied to all speakers.

Out of curiousity, have you checked the level settings for each channel post calibration? It may just be you need to turn the sub level/volume up on the sub and recalibrate. The Yamaha may be incapable of making the level correction required if the sub gain is set too low.

Does the sun have an LFE switch, if so is it On? Alternatively is the subs own crossover set on max?

Last edited:
As you have a subwoofer your Large speakers should still be set as Small and suitable crossover setting applied to all speakers.

Out of curiousity, have you checked the level settings for each channel post calibration? It may just be you need to turn the sub level/volume up on the sub and recalibrate. The Yamaha may be incapable of making the level correction required if the sub gain is set too low.

Does the sun have an LFE switch, if so is it On? Alternatively is the subs own crossover set on max?

what he said, even though he has a sony set up!

you need to go into the set up and change it that way.

what he said, even though he has a sony set up!

you need to go into the set up and change it that way.

Thanks guys, I tried, but no change.
When I set the front speakers to small, you can hear that they produce less low tones. But still no sound from the sub.
The sub has a power setting manual/auto. I have switched it to manual (which is always "on"). No effect.
The MCACC test tones are loud for all the other speakers except for the sub. You can only feel the sub slighty vibrating with the finger tops.

Is there a way to test the sub? Can I connect it to a different output to see if there is some sound comming out. May be to a line out of a CD player? Forgive me if this is a stupid question..:facepalm:

Dre

All channels are set to 0dB, if that is what you mean. The LX52 has a possibility to set sub to "on" and "plus". That makes no differene.

In my opinion, after setup of the speaker, the MCACC should produce sound through the sub anyway. Right?

Dre

MCACC has unique settings for different speaker packages.

when i calibrated it first, it put my speakers as "LARGE" instead of "SMALL", the sub wasnt used much, because it thought that my satellites could handles some of the lower tones, which it couldnt.

change all your satellites to SMALL, and you may hear the subwoofer, also if the subwoofer setting is off, set it to on!

there is no way of testing the sub, the only way i can think of, is to turn the db's of each channel down, except the sub.

Thanks guys, I tried, but no change.
When I set the front speakers to small, you can hear that they produce less low tones. But still no sound from the sub.
The sub has a power setting manual/auto. I have switched it to manual (which is always "on"). No effect.
The MCACC test tones are loud for all the other speakers except for the sub. You can only feel the sub slighty vibrating with the finger tops.

Is there a way to test the sub? Can I connect it to a different output to see if there is some sound comming out. May be to a line out of a CD player? Forgive me if this is a stupid question..:facepalm:

Dre

Hi Dre111

I have the sC LX82 but couldn't get my sub to work either,I checked the back to see if Id' plugged in in wrong. it looked ok but I thought I'd disconnect and then reconnect and it worked from then on, Don't know why(confused) . Did you try this ?

Last edited:
Hi Dre111

I have the sC LX82 but couldn't get my sub to work either,I checked the back to see if Id' plugged in in wrong. it looked ok but I thought I'd disconnect and then reconnect and it worked from then on, Don't know why(confused) . Did you try this ?

Hi,
Ok, I have checked... what I discovered was :confused: :confused: :confused:
In the time between my Pioneer 1015 and the LX52, I just had a small stereo set. That was about a month. So my sub and other speakers were disconnected that period.
When I got the LX52, I connected everything again. Everything ok, except for the sub. The sub was connected correctly. But as you suggested, just reconnect. Ok, I did... but I thought let's check the cable to the sub... and somewhere below a heater-radiator and behind a chair, I found the problem: the cable.
It seems that our dear guinneapig (cavia) eat and cut the cable almost through completely. Which results in a bad connection, you can image. :facepalm: :facepalm:

The problem is solved, now.

Thanks guys.
Dre111

Hi,
Ok, I have checked... what I discovered was :confused: :confused: :confused:
In the time between my Pioneer 1015 and the LX52, I just had a small stereo set. That was about a month. So my sub and other speakers were disconnected that period.
When I got the LX52, I connected everything again. Everything ok, except for the sub. The sub was connected correctly. But as you suggested, just reconnect. Ok, I did... but I thought let's check the cable to the sub... and somewhere below a heater-radiator and behind a chair, I found the problem: the cable.
It seems that our dear guinneapig (cavia) eat and cut the cable almost through completely. Which results in a bad connection, you can image. :facepalm: :facepalm:

The problem is solved, now.

Thanks guys.
Dre111

Damn guinea pigs :mad: the scourge of all home cinema enthusiasts!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom