Pioneer VSX 921

brookstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All......

I seem to have a problem with my new Pioneer VSX921

I have just brought this to replace a 920......long story ! - However I have connected it up the EXACT same way as I had the 920, being optical cable from the Sky HD box and and HDMI from the HD box to the TV ( Pioneer PDP4280 )

With the 920,if I switched on the amp and pressed the Sat/TV input on the amp remote,the TV sound muted and the sound came from the amp.

With the 921 this does not happen and the sound comes from both units

I have tried several differnt options / connection methods / turned things off and on in the menus but still get sound from both units ?

Any ideas ?

Bit of a side step to the initial enquiry but are you managing to get DD 5.1 from this configuration?

Yes mate, seem to be

Dont suppose you can confirm exactly where you plugged both the HDMI / Optical cable and what you set everything to within the menu for both "Input setup" and "HDMI setup"

I just know that i'll go to it to sort, swap a few wires and inputs around and find its no different :D

Sounds like you need to have 'HDMI Control' and possibly other related functions turned on in order for your amp to tell the TV's speakers to mute when you power it on.

Have a good read through the manual, particularly any part relating to HDMI Control functions.

Sounds like you need to have 'HDMI Control' and possibly other related functions turned on in order for your amp to tell the TV's speakers to mute when you power it on.

Have a good read through the manual, particularly any part relating to HDMI Control functions.

TV Speakers mute anyway mate. Its just a case of the amp playing stereo sound through the L/R Fronts.

Unfortunately the bulk of the manual (aside from a quickstart guide) is on a DVD and doesnt navigate anywhere near as good as actual paper does :D

TV Speakers mute anyway mate. Its just a case of the amp playing stereo sound through the L/R Fronts.

With the 920,if I switched on the amp and pressed the Sat/TV input on the amp remote,the TV sound muted and the sound came from the amp.

With the 921 this does not happen and the sound comes from both units?

Mike, the OP has quite clearly said this is not what is happening and when he turns on his VSX-921 the sound continues to come out of the TV speakers as well as from the speakers connected to the amp whereas with the VSX920 he used to have the TV sound would mute automatically when it detected he was using the AV receiver.

The OP should have a read of pages 41-42 of the user manual and make sure that HDMI Control is turned on and that the Control Mode is set to 'All'.

I have a attached a screenshot of the most relevant page.

Cheers,

Chris.

Attachments

• Pioneer VSX-921 HDMI Control.jpg
    Pioneer VSX-921 HDMI Control.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,312
I have the VSX-1021 and there are view quirks if you want to use TV-SAT then HDMI Control must be off with Sky which is not explained in the manual!. If you want to use control the I suggest the following set-up for sky.

This is assuming Sky-HD, plug the hdmi from sky into the DVR/BDR hdmi slot. Then connect an optical cable from the Sky+ box to the one of the optical inputs on the amp. Then in the input set-up assign the optical input for DVR/BDR. You may need to turn control off temporaily.

Then to hear 5.1 use the SIG SEL button on the remote to select digital for the sound. It defaults to auto which is HDMI and you will only get a 2 channel PCM stream.

This is the only way you can get control to work and have dolby digital 5.1 from sky.

Mike, the OP has quite clearly said this is not what is happening and when he turns on his VSX-921 the sound continues to come out of the TV speakers as well as from the speakers connected to the amp whereas with the VSX920 he used to have the TV sound would mute automatically when it detected he was using the AV receiver.

The OP should have a read of pages 41-42 of the user manual and make sure that HDMI Control is turned on and that the Control Mode is set to 'All'.

I have a attached a screenshot of the most relevant page.

Cheers,

Chris.

Apologies Chris - I thought your original reply was in response to my post :)

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if someone could help with my Vsx-921?

When watching blu-ray in Dolby True hd the amp seems to show PCM on the display. When watching DVD in Dolby digital it shows the little logo and Dolby digital. Have I set something up wrong or should it show PCM? It's connected via HDMI v1.4. It shows that it's doing 5.1 and sounds great but I want to make sure I'm getting what I should.

Whats your bluray player? PS3? If it is have which one phat or slim? If phat then it can not send undecoded HD audio so your amp will never display TruHD although you will be getting HD audio. If it is the slim you need to set it so that it sends the HD audio via HDMI undecoded if you want TruHD to display on the reciever. If not then do not worry as it will be HD audio even if it does not say it.

I have the VSX-1021 and there are view quirks if you want to use TV-SAT then HDMI Control must be off with Sky which is not explained in the manual!. If you want to use control the I suggest the following set-up for sky.

This is assuming Sky-HD, plug the hdmi from sky into the DVR/BDR hdmi slot. Then connect an optical cable from the Sky+ box to the one of the optical inputs on the amp. Then in the input set-up assign the optical input for DVR/BDR. You may need to turn control off temporaily.

Then to hear 5.1 use the SIG SEL button on the remote to select digital for the sound. It defaults to auto which is HDMI and you will only get a 2 channel PCM stream.

This is the only way you can get control to work and have dolby digital 5.1 from sky.

Does it have to be in the DVR/BDR slot? Can it be in any HDMI slot as I have already allocated a hdmi slot for the TV (can't remember which and it's a HUGE pain removing the AVR to have a look at the back) and still use an optical cable?

I realised I have 2 set top boxes that can send 5.1 dolby (live in Singapore so watch Starhub and Mio - both similar to Sky+ HD but not as good!!) can I connect 2 opticals and listen to both in 5.1? I know the AVR has enough optical ports but is it possible? Just want reassurance before taking the AVR out of its slot in my cabinet which will be a real pain.

That's the way to do it! Had been trying for ages, excellent, big thanks!

hi guys,can anyone help me,i have the vsx921 ,and have just purchased a samsung 51d6900 tv,its all connected up and i,m using a logitech 550 remote to control,i have the sky hd plugged into the bdr,dvr input ,my problem is ,if i use the hdmi control on the amp ,it defaults to tv input after 10 secs or so when powering up from standby,with hdmi control turned off its fine,any ideas guys?

Hi wezzy I am getting the same problem with my 1021 and sanding tv . How did you fix it

Right guys!! I turned off the allshare feature, and set up my logitech remote, one thing I did note is there's an update on the logitech setup software for the vsx921, once this was applied it gave much better control of the 921, ie previously if for instance I put amp into standby after watching a DVD , it would turn back on still in the DVD input, now it goes into whichever input I switch on with !!

matman said:

I am so glad I found this thread! For 3 months I've been listening through hdmi with the optical there but unused!

Thank you for pointing out the signal sel button!

Tnx for that info very useful. Just wondering is there no way that when your sky hd box is playing it selects optical as the signal input automatically.
Also i have a htpc connected to my vsx 921 i have alot of hd content and i am wondering with it automatically play hd 5.1 audio or do i have to change settings as it says stereo on the front of the reciever by default.

New to have a av reciever so finding it a tad confussing at the minute.

Alright, I'm bashing my head against the cabinet. Im connecting a media PC to my VSX 921. Im using HDMI from a Geforce Gt 730. Operating system is Windows 10

All I can get is right and left speakers to work. Ive been updating drivers, and changing every setting I can think of for days. The best I've gotten so far is when I got test tones to come out of the subwoofer and the center channel. When I went to play music or a movie, I still only got sound out of my mail R/L.

I don't know if its a video card setting (The GT730 is supposed to give up to 7.1 digital audio) or a pioneer setting. Any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom