1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer VSX-2021 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by marcaaron22, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys

Just wondering if somebody could tell me if this lights up blue like the vsx-lx55??

Thanks
  2. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Pretty sure it doesnt
  3. danwestley

danwestley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    No it does not glow blue, the display is blue but there is not a glow around the volume/input select.

Richer sounds are selling the 2021 for £599.

IMO, i think its mad to pay an additional £200 for buttons that glow or a wireless adapter you can get for £60, I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

But thats just me :)
  4. Denzz

Denzz Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the info guys, I'm looking at buying it with the BDP-LX55! You can get a set for £989 so it works out about 159 more buying it that way!

I know it's a silly amount for a blue glow and and a wifi adaptor but I'm a bit OCD about these things and it'll match up nicely with my LX5090!!

Thanks again for the information !!
  5. danwestley

danwestley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bit of an update really for potential future buyers.

(Firstly may I add this is from my personal taste in sound)

Since purchasing then 2021 last Sunday, Listening to the sound coming from my ma gs20 floor standing speakers, the sound was very tops heavy to the point where it was unbearable.

I tried every form of tweaking to get the sound to have a rich warm feeling which these same speakers were kicking out at my friends with his onkyo 905...... But no no avail. The auto calibration, x curve had virtually no effect.

Last night my friend came round for a listen to ascertain whether it was just me or differing room acoustics, he even brought along his chord speaker cable to test if this was contributing to the bright sounding tops.

Upon his first listen to the Adele blue ray which he had heard before, he agreed the sound is very bright indeed.

Again, we tried adjusting etc... No joy....

We hooked up his cable, taking into account my cable is Cambridge audio ultra bi wire at £5/m vs his at £17/m plus pricey airlock banana plugs..... This made absolute no difference what so ever, it was an identical sound putting to bed the requirement for very expensive speaker cable.

Next was room acoustics, the only way we were able to test this was to go get his 905, which we did.

The 905 was connected to the gs20s, we decided to test the Adele blu ray again, as we had listened to it so many times previously tweaking the 2021.

I was truly surprised at the difference, it felt like Adele had just entered my living room, her voice was crystal clear it was a joy to hear.

At this point I obviously knew stuff on the net about ma and pioneer not being a great marriage was in fact true.

I was gutted deep down as I thought the room & cable was playing a bit part.

Next, what was I to do.....

I decided to call richer sounds to test the water with getting it swapped out for an onkyo receiver... I thought the 709 or 809 at a push.

Luckily, there was an 809 from display and to my utter joy they let me swap it and pay the difference.

I was truly amazed by the acceptance of my problem and level of customer service at Lichfield richer sounds.

Having swapped it for the 809, I cannot believe the difference again.... It is unbelievably rich sounding, listening to some of my fav tracks in stereo make me just sit back In a daze.

At some point I will need to setup the centre and rears with sub but at the moment I am happy with just the floor standers in stereo.

I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was thinking of pairing monitor audio with the 2021 receiver.

Also, if anyone is planning to spend 3 figures on speaker cable for front floor standing speakers, don't bother it's a waste of time and effort!

Dan :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mok66

mok66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

I am a new member to the forum as I got my 2021-K, two weeks ago. Well, replaced and upgraded from 921-K. Having two 921-K the same problem, I decided to upgrade to 2021-K. But after two weeks the very same issue appeared!

VSX-2021 (current machine)
    VSX-921-K (second machine)
    VSX-921-K (first machine)

When I switch off the machine (to standby) next day it doesn't start with a remote, it doesn't start from the front switch, until main power off from the wall outlet, wait a few seconds then on. Everything is back to normal. I have video all three machines and yesterday sent an email to Pioneer.

Anyone else has the same issue?

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. SCoomby

SCoomby Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Seems like you have the same taste in sound as me. I can't get on with the sound of the low to mid priced Pioneer AV receivers myself. I used to have an Onkyo 875 and I have just upgraded to a Marantz SR7005. The Onkyo 809 was on my shortlist however. I am very pleased with my purchase and I am glad you finding good sound out of the Onkyo 809.

Steve
  8. R B Customs

R B Customs Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi guys
    I thought I would update you on what happened with my 2021 in the end.

I returned it for a full refund about 3 weeks ago and picked a marantz sr6006 up the same day on home demo (after a shop demo) then I bought the marantz for keeps.

I have to say that I have never looked back since swapping the amps. The marantz is superior in the sound department, and importantly for me, a million years a head in the networking and streaming department.
    If anyone else is having issues and you are thinking about a refund do it sooner rather than later.
  9. mok66

mok66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing many comments on the sound and set up issues. I just like to add my opinion; for me set up was piece of cake and it worked perfect! I have a 5.1 with height and surround set up and movies in my living room come alive. The VSX-2021-K sound perfect whether you listen music or watch films. Height speakers definitely working on the THX film modes. Extended stereo for the music got super mid tones and bass. Don't forget machine sets up the sounds according to your room etc. It is also important how to position the Mic. I put it 45 degrees towards the system leaving surrounds (for the back) receiving less whilst MCAC tune! If you are not still happy iphone app has all the adjustments you can tweak whilst listening. I must admit you need some common sense to be able to use the system which is why I love it. Simple things are boring no need discovering and as a system VSX-2021-K is perfect! Having had the opportunity to have VSX-921-K and return and upgrade to VSX-2021-K was a good move. It sounds much better, more crystal clear and bass is not so aggressive which you can tweak if you want to!

Coming back to my issue, it doesn't do it all the time and it is occasional but I want to know what is the cause of it. I think it has something to do with HDMI or the devices connected. So far, since I reported it is fine and I am watching it carefully to figure out why..? I'll let you all know when I know. I spoke to Pioneer again this morning and the engineer is working on the issue too. :)

Have a sound full of weekend whatever is your device it is... ;)

:thumbsup::smashin::thumbsup:
  10. steviethompson

steviethompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

been thinking about purchasing the 2021, ive been reading through the online manuals that Pioneer
    provide on their site and im wondering if you could confirm or correct the following speaker setup (if it would work)

for the main living room i am going to have 2 floor standing speakers (front lef+right)

for the kitchen which would play the same source i would connect 2 ceiling speakers to the front height speaker terminals ( from what i gather it says that these can be configured to play stereo sound in another room)

it also suggests that you can use the surround back speaker terminals as 'zone 2' so i would have 2 celing speakers from my bedroom connected to the surround back terminals, with a video cable from my bedroom tv connected to the video out jack above the zone 2 terminals...

so for zone 3 i would have connected another amp with 2 bathroom ceiling speakers to speaker A terminals on the second amp and 2 garden speakers (or 1 ) to speaker B terminals also on the second amp

so to sum up i would have the livingroom and kitchen playing the same source, the bedroom would be independant, and the bathroom and garden would play the same source...

any help and suggestions are grately appreciated

thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  11. spinalize

spinalize Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mok66, I agree with you. I have had my 2021 for 6 weeks now and it is brilliant. It has replaced a 10 year old Denon AVC11SR which was a lot more expensive but pre Audessy setup. Using MCACC as described on these forums has allowed me to really optimise its config.

Dan westerly did you run auto setup with stereo speakers? If you don't run it then sound would be very harsh I am sure.

The Pioneer amps seem to fall into two categories with the people on AVforums. Love or hate. I reckon they just need a bit of TLC and patience to run MCACC a few times.
    Spine
  12. spinalize

spinalize Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Steve that sounds pretty complex. What are your sources? I think you can only play analogue sources out through zones 2&3. I use iTunes and airport express to create multiple zones in my house. Works for me as I don't need to distribute video, just audio.
    Spine
  13. steviethompson

steviethompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would have ps3, virgin hd set top box, and tv in livingroom, a tv in the bedroom with another v box and blu ray player, just planning on connecting those 2 sources to the bedroom tv though and then just connecting the tv to the av down stairs ( if thats possible)

i really like the idea of the air play through my iphone and thats the main reason for getting this amp and will be my main source but would also like to say watch tv in the livingroom and have radio on in the shower room and so on.

i thought you didnt need airport express with this amp i thought it had it built in ?
  14. spinalize

spinalize Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Steve it does have airport built in but I am not sure you can play it through zone 2 or 3. You can play it through speakers directly connected. I am sure I read in the manual are only for analogue sources.

As for AirPlay if you have amps in other rooms then airport express is way easier than complex zone configs on an amp.
    Spine
  15. danwestley

danwestley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Yes I did, I ran the setup numerous times in stereo mode, even a friend who is an audiophile tried setup and how many different eq settings.. I just don't think the pioneer is a good match for monitor audio gold signatures.... Just one of those I guess.

In addition, I found the remote not user friendly just a sea of buttons with no real grouping with common sense but one of the most plain stupid issues is not having the ability to enable hdmi control and set optical in as the source for skyhd hdmi, they are mutually exclusive.

In my opinion, the onkyo team appear to think they ui and setting system through..... I am really struggling to think of a area with the pioneer where it excels compared to the 809, I guess AirPlay was cool but I much prefer streaming flacs via Dlna.
  16. mok66

mok66 Member

Ratings:
    +0

The interface on VSX-2021-K is great and sound is excellent. You can get the full manual from Pioneer's website. The standby issue is sorted as it seems too!

Dan, I read about the Onkyo 809 and almost changed my mind but after reading reviews and how many people has had issues, it put me off! In terms of sound I guess one need to set up properly to achieve results. At this level I doubt there is a difference in between these two machines apart from the interface and the remote control I guess! ;) Enjoy the sound... :)
  17. mok66

mok66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add, I checked the Flacs is available via DLNA as long as the source is streaming the format. :) Competition is fierce. ;)
  18. mok66

mok66 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  19. danwestley

danwestley Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all,
    This is the thing with hifi/ht, it's all about personal preference. Both myself and my colleague came to the conclusion that the 2021 didn't marry up well with the gs20's as the brightness made the sound really uncomfortable to listen to.

Each to their own :)
  20. frankie13

frankie13 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    hi m8s would this amp be good with a tannoy f1 custom special edition 7.1 set up
  21. scud8

scud8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought one of these and I'm having problems with the dual HDMI outputs. If it is set to output to both my TV and projector, but the projector is not on, it doesn't provide a signal to the TV. If I switch to HDMI Output 1 only then it works ok. Is anyone else seeing problems like this?

I could probably work around it if I could find IR codes to switch between the HDMI output 1/2/ALL, but the Harmony set-up only has a single toggle IR code which is useless.

The projector is connected by a fairly old 10m HDMI cable (good quality though - cost a fortune) so I was wondering if that could be the source of the problem. Not easy to fix though as it is run in the wall and ceiling space.

Edited to say that I get the same problem the other way round. If the projector is on, but TV off, I have to switch to HDMI Output 2 to get a picture on the projector. I was expecting I could leave it on HDMI Output All and just turn the TV or projector on as desired - that is what I have been doing with a £20 HDMI splitter so I expected a £650 AV receiver to be able to do the same. I can see I will be returning the box if I can't find a solution to this or some useful IR codes that allow me to program my Harmony One to control it - the single toggle code used by the standard remote is so unpredictable it is useless.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  22. anthonyn

anthonyn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my vsx 2021. Set up has been ok. But having problems with the network. I have got ipad connected (manually input ip adress of amp into ipad), but I cant see my windows 7 pc in the HMG. I have a wired ethernet connection via a BT Hub. The amp connects to the internet to play radio but cant see pc. Any thoughts?
  23. scud8

scud8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to Pioneer about my dual HDMI output problem and waiting for a call back after they investigate. The strange thing is that it works fine if one output is unplugged, but not if it is plugged in with an inactive device at the other end.

I've tested various cables and scenarios to rule out a cable length or version issue, it either looks like I have a faulty box, or more likely, Pioneer have designed it badly.

Edited to say that Pioneer have not been able to resolve the problem. It is simply designed this way. I have confirmed by two different routes that the Denon AVR-3312 does have the function I need so the Pioneer is going back tomorrow and I should hopefully have a 3312 by Wednesday.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  24. Nitro626

Nitro626 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I got my 2021 at Christmas, and this weekend I got the last piece of my over all upgrade a set of B&W 684 floor standing front speakers.

I've been watching this thread since Christmas, my setup was quite smooth apart from the HDMI does not work the way I was hoping.

I am running 5 speakers and a sub, the fronts are bi-amped and the rear surrounds are also bi-amped and I have to say I love the sound it gives me goose bumps sometimes, Playing a blu-ray film from my ps3 the 5.2 has caught me out a few times and I've paused the film looked out the window because I thought I'd heard something ! sad I know.. but thats what it's all about !

I'm still not sure if there is a firmware update for my AVR or not so please could some of you guys have a look at this post.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1572101-pioneer-vsx2021-firmware-update.html

I used the Auto setup and mic for the speakers, however on the Memory 1 setting it lacked a bit of sub for my liking so I changed the sub setting to plus, which seems to boost the LF to the sub and I can tweak the lows with the sub gain control.

I used to use my ps3 to play my music off my PC using a program call PS3 Media Server, however the 2021 in H.M.G picks up my PC direct using PS3 Media Server that's a bonus for me, as I can change the track, album anywhere in the house using the app.

I seem to be very lucky, i've had no app issues, 2 iphones, Ipad2, Ipod touch all connect perfectly.

My only moan is you cant set the audio to pass through HDMI 2 output independently of HDMI 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  25. Nitro626

Nitro626 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah download a program called PS3mediaserver, the 2021 talks to this program no problems and will happly stream music from your pc.
  26. steviethompson

steviethompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, does anyone know if this reciever has an 'all stereo' option to playback stereo sound through each Chanel instead of surround
  27. Nitro626

Nitro626 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No it doesn't closest setting to that is extend stereo but the front centre is active, hope this help.
  28. MikeMcr

MikeMcr Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have not tried them but the Pioneer Excel spreadsheet from their website of discrete IR codes for this receiver does have separate codes for HDMI OUT ALL, HDMI OUT 1 and HDMI OUT 2 (and also the toggle code).
  29. scud8

scud8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mike - thanks for this, but I've sent the VSX 2021 back and swapped it for a Denon AVR-3312 which works flawlessly. It's amazing that Pioneer's customer services staff aren't aware of this information. They told me there were RS232 commands for this, but not IR codes.
  30. steviethompson

steviethompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone any chance you can clarify this for me,

if i had sky and bluray in my bedroom connected directly to a tv could i then take a cable from the audio out on the tv and connect that to an input on the 2021?

then have 2 ceiling speakers connected to the powered zone 2 speaker ports,

would this work and can you control this over the iphone app such as volume and telling the amp to play the tv sound through the appropriate speakers whilst still playing another source elsewhere eg sky with a diferent box in the livingroom?

also i know zone 3 can only play analogue but im not quite sure on what will work, would radio or the sky box or intunes using airplay be able to play through this second amp?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012