Pioneer VSX-2021 Owners Thread

For what its worth, I contacted pioneer to ask about 4 ohm speakers and they said it would nit do it. Ill cmget the exact reply when I get home.

Hello, I assume that you meant "it wouldn't do it"
Would like to see email

Although imagine that they're bound to say that.

Hi sorry, I typed that out on the train.
The email is not as elaborate as I remembered it to be. I must be getting confused with a reply from marantz asking the same question.

This is what I got from them:
Hello.

Thank you for your email enquiry.

Regrettably 4 ohms will be too low and could cause damage to the amplifier.

I know it's not the point, but if you wanted you can run a 5 chanel power amp with this reciever (as it has pre-outs) That's one of the reasons I went for it to be honest.

I believe that the 2021 will pass the signal from HDMI input through to its HDMI out whilst it's in standby (usually it is the last selected source that is passed through)

Does anyone know if it can be configured to pass a HDMI input signal through both of its HDMI outputs (or will it just do it by default) (HDMI Input 1 to both HDMI out 1 and HDMI out 2?)

I'm currently using a old HDMI spliter to do just this, as I wasn't aware that the receiver would perform pass through while in standby.

I send SKY HD to the bedroom TV (in HD) this way and I'm happy with Stereo HDMI audio as only use TV speakers in bedroom.

Many Thanks

Hello,

Before I attempt to completely re-wire my 'only just installed' Amp, does anyone currently successfully pass through SKY+HD (I've a 1Tb box) using this AMP while its in standby, as I keep reading contradictory posts.

I appreciate that its only a couple of cables, but where I have it installed its very difficult to access, and having put my back out installing the thing first time around, I'm hesitant to move all the gear again, if its not going to work!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all is there a difference between a vsx-2021 and a vsx-2021k?

Fiatman said:
If you can get it at that price, take it, i paid 799.00 for it
Gerry

Got it for 619 from peter tyson with a 3 yr warranty! Very happy with that. Shd arrive tomorrow or monday.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions below plz

Bluray hd audio such as dts-he contains 7.1 audio which includes the surround back / rear channels above and beyond a basic 5.1 setup. If i feed the pioneer with a dts-hd / dd-ma bitstream fed from my ps3 slim via hdmi, how does it deal with the exta surround channel? Does it merger the dts-hd surround and surround back/rear channels and play them through the 5.1 surround channels? What would the pioneer display during this ? Will it show the dts-hd logo / title etc? Chrs

jawilson59 said:
Can anyone confirm my assumptions below plz

Bluray hd audio such as dts-he contains 7.1 audio which includes the surround back / rear channels above and beyond a basic 5.1 setup. If i feed the pioneer with a dts-hd / dd-ma bitstream fed from my ps3 slim via hdmi, how does it deal with the exta surround channel? Does it merger the dts-hd surround and surround back/rear channels and play them through the 5.1 surround channels? What would the pioneer display during this ? Will it show the dts-hd logo / title etc? Chrs

This was what was on the Pioneer display when I was watching Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray:

Attachments

• image-1613967213.jpg
    image-1613967213.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 777
Thanks but how many speakers do u have? From ur pic it seems u have a 7.1 setup....

Does anyone know if i connected my ps3 slim to the pioneer with a hmdi ethernet compatible cable, would the pioneer get a network connection from the ps3 seeing as how the pioneer has 1.4 hdmi sockets.....

marcaaron22 said:
This was what was on the Pioneer display when I was watching Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray:

Hvnt recvd my vsx2021 yet but would assume the speaker icons in the display would represent a 5.1 setup as thats what i'll tell it during setup. Cant wait to get it and install it!!!!

Has anybody connected extra front high speakers to the receiver? and how does it sound like, is it worth it?
Gerry

Just for clarification, I still annoyingly can't get the 2021 to perform HDMI pass through of my SKY HDMI signal when its switched off (possibly a SKY HDMI issue?) so I'm back using a on HDMI separate splitter.

That's passing a the SKY HDMI signal through the 2021 to the TV when the 2021 is in standby (plugged in but switched off) It won't work for me, anyone else got this working?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Everyone of you 2021 owners who own compatible Apple devices should consider signing up for Spotify. I just got a free 6 month trial through Virgin Media and I must say using an itouch with Spotify installed and then streaming to my Pio with AirPlay works brilliantly. Massive choice of music to drown yourself in, create or import playlists, radio stations based on genre or mood etc.
If you have the bluetooth dongle you can probably stream from Windows PC or Android phone?

Cheers Noggin.:thumbsup:

Hi RB,

Only just seen your message regarding FLAC files.
I have been so busy lately I have not been able to carry on experimenting. I could not get any FLAC file to play when I was trying (downloaded or created using EAC or DBPoweramp). Regarding your advice about converting to FLAC from Apple Lossless, would that not kind of be defeating the object as the 2021 will play Apple Lossless off the bat so no need to convert those files really?

Cheers Noggin.

Has anybody connected extra front high speakers to the receiver? and how does it sound like, is it worth it?
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I have my speakers set up to make use of the extra front height option (7 speakers + subwoofer) and I think it sounds wonderful even though I am using some very cheap Yamaha speakers. Hoping to replace these with some Q Acoustics or Focal Dome's some time real soon :smashin:

Hi all
I have a problem :lease:
Its to do with the 2 HDMI outputs,
On HDMI 1 out I have it connected to my Plasma and everything is okay.
On HDMI 2 out I have it connected to an Optoma HD67N 720p projector.

The PS3, Freesat, Apple Tv, Wii, Xbox all display fine, when i connect my Media PC via an HDMI from an NVIDIA GTX275 graphics card and set the resolution to 720p (native to the projector) seems to offset the image to the right by about a 1/3 hence not displaying the full screen then when I set the graphics card to 1080p it all fits correctly but this is the incorrect resolution.

Any Ideas?????????

:lease::lease:

Okay been having a bit of a play and im thinking its the amp causing the problem.

HDMI 1 out into Plasma etc
HDMI 2 out into a projector

plug a pc/laptop with HDMI out into amp

select HDMI 1 out and select PC/Laptop (both are NVIDIA) as source OK

select HDMI 2 out and select PC/Laptop (both are NVIDIA) as source BAD image is offset

select HDMI ALL out and select PC/Laptop as source everything is okay as long as i have Projector and plasma on at the same time, if i turn the plasma off the image shifts and becomes offset on the projector

:lease:

Dont know if anyone has the time or similar setup that they could try this?

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Hi RB,

Only just seen your message regarding FLAC files.
I have been so busy lately I have not been able to carry on experimenting. I could not get any FLAC file to play when I was trying (downloaded or created using EAC or DBPoweramp). Regarding your advice about converting to FLAC from Apple Lossless, would that not kind of be defeating the object as the 2021 will play Apple Lossless off the bat so no need to convert those files really?

Cheers Noggin.

Hey mate,
at the Time when I wrote that all I used to have 3 seperate librarys - one for apple lossless, one for flac and one for MP3. Since then I've scrapped Itunes and apple lossless and I've re-ripped (and I'm still ripping!) everything with DBpoweramps ripper as it is simply the best one I've used and after a trial I've bought it. I now have everything on a Netgear Stora 'NAS' box, and DBpoweramp rips directly to that, it's very slick setup now I just sit here feeding my computer discs all day while I'm working and let it rip away. I've had no issues with these files - everything displays correctly with the exception of *just ripped* mdeia sometimes showing up as 'null' for the artist and 'null' for the album but it works it out after a few minutes.

As I ssaid earlier I used to have everythign on my PC and ran it as a windows media source, and as a TVersity server - both of which would only display certain tracks, some would not display, whole albums would be missing and everything. the NAS I have is cheap, and does take a split-second to buffer the next track, where my PC didn't (it's all on gigabit lan with cat 6 btw) so that's the only downside - but it's backed up and it's working so I'm happy enough for now.

where is your media stored by the way?

I'm sure we will have some CD's in common so if we do I'll be more than happy to send you a ripped flac of mine to see if it works.... I cant see anything wrong with that but it may be technically ilegal.

also,
This is currently the story of my life:
screenshot2011122911553.png

getting a bit sick of it now.

How is ur pioneer connected to home network? Pioneer wl300 or direct wired to hub?

just to trying to get a feel of how others are using their Pioneer AMPs as this is my first AV AMP and I am suddenly quite swamped by the hundreds of settings, I've manged to use the MCCAC setup (by following the thread in the forum) but would like to know what settings WE listen to sources with ie ALC, direct, Pure Direct, Auto Surround or Optimal Surround etc..

I have a 5.1 setup (as described in my signature)

I appreciate that this is a subjective choice that is very much down to the users ear, but would still like to know how the neighbors are using their equipment:

My various input are:

Music:
CD player, Airplay stream all in STEREO (with Sub) speakers all set top SMALL
SKY HD (video through HDMI and sound through Optical)
PS3 (both video and sound through HDMI - switched from Optical)

Many Thanks and Happy Holidays in advance to anyone who responds....

ps
Still very annoyed at true lack of SKY HD pass through (Grrr) whoevers fault it is....

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom