1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer SCLX75 & SCLX85 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Dav1dF, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zchan28

zchan28 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Where is everyone buying their amp from? Who is doing the best deal?
  2. pc1320

pc1320 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all...considering either one of the above but was wondering are both these Receivers THX Ultra 2 plus ??? At the beginning of this thread it states the 85 is...but when compared on the Pioneer Web Site it states the 75 is also...who is correct ???

pc1320
  3. Bell

Bell Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Have just bought the SC LX85 and the Qnap 412 and have the very same problems you mention. I can access my music through the av with twonky but when I try to access the actual qnap it says server error. I'm finding the setting up to be really complicated. No idea how to get the av to recognise the Qnap. Same thing when I try to stream from windows 7 computer. It says the av is not ready. I recon there is something I haven't pressed on the av but no idea what. You are not alone.
  4. Bell

Bell Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Bought mine from Simply Electronics. Bought over Easter break so bit of a wait and a wonder if I'd just given the money to somebody money laundering in their bedroom in Hong Kong but it did arrive and was £500.00 cheaper than anywhere else, £1299.99. A bargain, but you'll sweat for it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,396
    You'll be sweating even more if it goes wrong!

Unfortunately Bell, as has been mentioned in these threads before, because they're based in Hong Kong, you won't have a UK, CE certified product. Also, if a fault should occur within the warranty period, you will have to ship it back to Hong Kong in order for it to be looked at under warranty.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. Bell

Bell Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I understand the chance you take but £500.00 price difference seems rather a lot of insurance in case something goes wrong. Returning anything the size of the Pioneer would be a hassle whether sending it to yourself or Simply Electronics. I have faith in the Pioneer and £500.00 for postage and packing should the worst happen. How many have you had returned?
  7. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,396
    I don't think I'm at liberty to say how many we've had back, but my own that I bought went wrong within a few months.
  8. malsat

malsat Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You've only saved £400 actualy as i paid £1699 from sevenoaks with a 2 yr warrinty,sooner have UK back up and help the economy ;)
  9. Dr Evilest

Dr Evilest Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Hello from another new sclx85 owner.:clap:

I've been setting it up for the past couple of days & am having a nightmare trying to play DTS master audio from blu-ray discs. If anyone could help me I'd be eternally grateful.

Spinning discs from a denon 1611ud universal player, set to bitstream & the player lights up with DTS master. However no amount of fiddling with the settings on the receiver seems to produce DTS here.

I can however, play DVD audio discs & get DTS no problem.

HDMI cable is 1.4a (not sure if it's 'high-speed', so ordered a new one in case this is the issue). I've also checked through this thread & notice other people have had the same problem; I've tried the previous suggestions but to no avail.

TIA.
  10. Dr Evilest

Dr Evilest Member

Ratings:
    +244
    Sorted now, it was a setting on the denon player (mode, change audio out from mix to HD):rolleyes:

So far I'm 'fairly' impressed with the sound quality but there's plently more tweaking to be done. What with MCACC, the various other audio parameters & wading through the manual, it may take a week or two.:p
  11. Bell

Bell Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If it was about helping the economy you would have bought British. I was asked where I got it and I told the guy. Sorry it doesn't fit with your idea of how the world should run but it fits with mine. If you're in need of £400.00 reassurance then I can appreciate that but don't let's get too self righteous and assume we all need the same. Enjoy your AV amp; you paid for it.
  12. blind guardian

blind guardian Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there.
    I want to buy the 75 model in the next month.
    Is it reliable?
    I read many bad experiences from other members.
    What do you think?
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. denis_carlin

denis_carlin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can only speak about mine which certainly has not been reliable.
    I have had problems with the power amp section and lack of response from the remote control.
    It was sent away for one month and has came back from repair with the only partially working and the sound problem (intermittent interference/white noise) is still present albeit quieter.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Swiss distributor, I previously owned a SC-LX71 which was problem free.
  14. blind guardian

blind guardian Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I wish that mine won't have any problem.
    Maybe the models that have been produced recently have solved these problems!
  15. vrsman

vrsman Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I am afraid to report that my recently purchased lx75 is going back. Suffering amp fault (AMP ERR). Not going to get another one and have lost confidence. It is a recent build too.....Have spoken with a few dealers and they tell me to look at another brand. Read into that what you will.

Hope this helps. Not what you wanted to hear I am sure Blind Guardian
  16. TheJCExperience

TheJCExperience Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I own sc-lx85 and have a couple of issues. Firstly, occasionally, the amp will lose all its saved settings. Happens once every few months which is quite annoying. Has anyone had this?

Secondly, I had a major problem getting the amp to power up earlier. When it finally did power up, it wouldn't pipe anything out, video or audio. All settings were again wiped, and it would lock up when trying to power it down. I figured a factory reset may help, but after searching hi and low to find out how to do so, I can't find the info anywhere. Can anyone help with this? Much obliged.
  17. IainH

IainH New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just purchased the SC-LX75 and have been happy so far.

The issue I am experiencing is that setting up AirPlay and saying On to Network Standby has resulted in me not being able to use the remote to wake the amp once it has been shut down to Network Standby. I have had to switch off the power completely and restart from there. I am assuming that I am doing something fundamentally wrong but cannot find anything about it anywhere.

Is there anybody that has had a similar experience or knows what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. JazzG

JazzG Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Just a question about airplay, does it just stream audio or video as well? I have tried some youtube videos and the audio works perfectly but the video doesn't work. Is there a setting that needs to be changed or does this amp not support it? Thanks
  19. IainH

IainH New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Just spoken to Pioneer and it's back to the vendor for a replacement. I hope the next one doesn't have any issues....
  20. IainH

IainH New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    JazzG. From my experience it is just audio.
  21. IainH

IainH New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my LX75 for £1,180 from Hi Spek in St Albans.
  22. rocketron204

rocketron204 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    I am coming back to the Pioneer fold after a few years of using a Denon, could anyone answer the following please:-
    Can you use the USB rear input with a PC, on the older Pioneers the PC saw the reciever as a sound card, is it the same with an 85?

What is the total amount of inputs available, I have a full on system with, deep breath,2 X Sky(supply from different rooms), Cable, Bluray, HDDVD, XBOX360, PS3, Wii and PC (DVI with coax out at the moment) and possibly a Sonos in the future.
    I realise that I will have to use a switcher for at least 2 of the HDMI sources, but I would like to know my input options, (I will use the network facility for music at the moment but the rest of the house uses Sonos and it would be nice to have the same with this amp)
  23. JazzG

JazzG Member

Ratings:
    +18
    That is a bit frustrating, would be cool if it did video as well. I think I might send Pioneer an email to see if they will ever incorporate video as well via a firmware upgrade. Having a google though seen no mention of it at all which is frustrating
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  24. Bish

Bish Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Guys, some help please...
    I'm now gonna be without a sub for a few weeks and want to recall rate my LX85 using the MCACC.

I've just run the full auto and it detected no sub and set both fronts to large, centre to small and surrounds to large( which I assume is correct as I'm using B&W CM8's as fronts) but it also set the crossover at 150htz

Is that right?.
    Shouldn't the xover be a low as possible so all the bass goes to the fronts?

Bit confused here?
    Thanks
  25. mkdahiya

mkdahiya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum, but on and off long time visitor. I have upgraded my Marantz SR 6200 to LX 85. One thing I must admit Marantz are fanatastic receivers. If you are into music, then I feel, like many other, Marantz is one of those amazing receivers you can pick up with your eyes closed and you wont repent it. Good on you Marantz. However Marantz is losing, in my opinion,to its competitors due to lack of couple of features one of them being 9:1 or 9:2 setup.
    I wasn't going to buy anthing other then Marantz if it had 9:2 setup in any of marantz models. I feel Marantz 7005 is awesome receiver but, for me, lacks 9:1 or 2 channel setup.

After reading reviews and comparing experiences of many users, I decided to pick up Pioneer LX 85 from Harvey Norman Auburn ( Sydney ), after running couple of negotiations marathon and pricing matching excercise with the agent, for $2300. I hope this will helps others as well if they are looking to buy this receiver in Australia. I loved Pioneer Flagship SUSANO LX-90 but couldn't afford it.

My one week experience of owning LX 85 is as follows:

I did the testing in Pure Direct or Direct only modes, keeping to original sound. Rest all modes are artificially created sound by DSP. I like to hear and keep the audio close to the original. So tried to achieve best response in these two modes only.

Did MACC full auto setup and the audio output I got was absolutely crap. It was very flat, couldn't get all the expected frequency responses I expected from the channels, which was not even close to with my old Marantz. The audio was very clean, but not impressive. Couldn't even settle close to my old Marantz, may be my expectation were too high form the LX 85 flagship receiver. I tried music files, Avatar but room ( 4m wide x 5.5m long) was lacking the filling sound. A receiver with RRP of $3500 I was definetly expecting more filling, rich, clear and distorsion free sound. It was lacking the filling rest all were more or less present and close to my satisfaction.

After the initial disappointment, I tried the manual EQ setting with individual channels and THAT MADE THE DIFFERENCE. I would now say its worth the bucks I have spend. So I recommend to use this setting to suit to your taste of audio hearing.

This was my experience and review on audio. There may be many others who are better then me in setting up receivers. I welcome all setting suggestions to make it better sounding receiver.

Video output quality is just amazing. I was happy with that.

More over, in my opinion, the esence of receiver lies in its sound reproduction rather in features like Onkyo. Therefore I had been fan of Marantz.

My home theator setup is as follows:

Speakers 9:1 setup

FR, FL , C - Infinity.
    FHR, FHL - Energy.
    SL, SR - B&M 602
    SBL, SBLR - Bose 209
    SUB - 12" JBL Northridge

LX 85

HTPC - Asrock Z68 MB, 4 GB RAM, 6 TB green SATA, Samsung BLU ray drive, Gigabyte Nvidia 560 Ti graphic card.

Panasonic AE 7000 projecting on 110" screen from 5 mts.
    Sitting 5 mts approx.

The experiment and learning is still on with LX 85. Anything interesting if I come across I will share with you.

Question:

1. Can HDMI 1 and 2 output manage two different resolution ?
    I have first generation Samsung Plasma with 1080 capability but cannot handle 1980x 1080 where as
    my projector is 1980 x1080.

Presently I'm feeding the video to both Plasma and projector through my Mother board HDMI and Nvidia GTI HDMI. I will have to always switch between the resolution between the Samsung and Proj untill I upgrade my TV.

Your advise and guidance will be appreciated in this regard.
  26. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a query about how Airplay and Zone 2 should be working on my LX85 please.
    My LX85 arrived last week from Simplyelectronics. Had to wait nearly 2 weeks but it works great and have 5.1 bi-amp front with Zone 2 speakers in the kitchen/diner.

Using the iControlAV2 app on my phone/iPad I can switch on Zone 2, select music on my Synology NAS and it plays fine. The list of albums/artists do take a VERY long time to appear...with 'Unknown' shown against each item until it eventually displays the correct information. I have my amp connected via Ethernet by the way. This is only a minor niggle and I'll see if having a lot of music shared on my PC the names display faster.

The main query I have is if the main zone is currently used for something such as TV, watching a movie on the WDTV or something and I then use AirPlay from my phone/iPad to play a track, it always plays in the main zone too, so I have to quickly re-set the input for the main zone again back to what it was. The same happens with the Spotify app too.

At this rate I am probably going to have to get a Sonos Connect which I thought the LX85 could do everything anyway. Just getting a Sonos Connect for my old Denon 3805 was my inital plan :rolleyes:

Any suggestions please, is this how it works for others or is there a setting somewhere I've missed?
  27. blind guardian

blind guardian Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there , i finally decided and for replacing my old SONY STR DB 840QS i ordered the SC LX 75.
    I will take it in about 2 months because i am having repaired and i want everything to be ready and the put him into the rack.
    I have some questions for you and i would like you to help me:
    1.By reading the whole thread i read that many forum members had some issues.Are these cases solved or the problems stopped in the more recent models? Iam asking these questions because until now (Due to luck or good usage) i did not have any problem so far in the 11 years that i own my SONY.

2.Why in the Pioneer WebSite mentions ''March 2012'' , what is that difference?

3.My speakers are the following:
    Front:B&W DM 603S3
    Center:B&W LCR 60S3
    Surround:Roister Status Surround
    SubWoofer:Monitor Audio RSW12
    All speakers are 8OHM Impedance.
    Is it OK? Will i have a good result in your opinion?

4.What about the HDMI Stand BY Pass Through Function?
    I read some issues.
    My visual equipment is the Following:
    TV:pioneer Plasma KURO PDP 428XD
    Blu Ray:pioneer BD 51FD
    HDD/DVDR:pioneer LX 60
    Media Player:popCornHour A300
    Sat/Terrestrial Receiver:I don't have but i will buy the Technomate 6902 or Dreambox (i don't know which model)
    With that equipment will i face any problem?

5.Many members mention the Logitech Harmony Remote.
    Because i am not familiar with that , what is so special with that and almost everyone has it?
    For example i like the RF Remote that the 85 Model has but i think it will be highpriced.
    I reached the top of my economics , i cant buy a more expensive than the 75.
    I took him 1300 euros which are much for the economic situation here in Greece.

Sorry for the many questions and i hope you will help me.
    Thanks
    Cris.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  28. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I can take question 5 :) The harmony remove merely allows you to control all your devices with one remote and add activities, a cool feature that you can set so, like me, you press the Watch TV activity and it'll switch on Satellite receiver, activiate HDMI switcher and select relevant HDMI channel, switch on soundbar and activate tele. They're absolutely great but not essential, just tidy. In fact I don't yet use it for my amp as I'd rather familiarise myself with all the features on it first before using the Harmony.
  29. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    And on question 4 I don't see any issues with them, most input into the amp with output being to the TV.
  30. Salvia

Salvia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the RF remote connected up but it's redundant due to having a Harmony One plus an IOS device that I have with me always anyway.
    Only reason I went for an LX85 instead of LX75 was bi-amp fronts in 5.1 wirh Zone 2 and multi in for SACD. The LX75 doesn't support either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.