1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer pdp lx5090 red tint to blacks

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mickru, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Lunar

+2 on the brightness from the defult 0.

Cooler setting in colour temp, meaning Mid-Low to Mid. Would not go above Mid.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Heres how my mine fairs this is as realistic as i could get it.

I tried your suggestions also Lord Bunky but to no avail had to bump brightness up to +3/4 to kill the red completely

[​IMG]
  3. lunarwolf

lunarwolf Member

Ratings:
    +45
    thx bunky for info.

any drawbacks to increasing brightness for a plasma? ie screen burns etc.. sry for my lack of knowledge on the matter

Kilka - i have roughly same issue in terms of red tints
  4. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nah you'll be fine regarding the brightness hike it won't create any screen burn or image retention. If you were to raise the contrast to a high level then you can run the risk.

Anyone else wants to post pics of the red tint issue, might be a good way to compare between sets.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. tapmeester

tapmeester Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that all Pioneer kuro owners have the same problem as we have. Did any of you had a response from Pioneer about this? I had contact with a Pioneer repair service here in Holland and they said that Pioneer never had any warranty claims about this issue. Changing settings doesn't change the fact that the picture quality(read blacks) of an expensive Pioneer plasma only lasts for 2 years. [​IMG]
  6. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm tempted to get in contact with them regarding the issue but was interested to see if anyone had any success on here 1st.

Both our screens look almost identical though, does this problem only effect the lx range or krp also?
  7. sikiliza

sikiliza Member

Ratings:
    +2

i have the lx5090 and i had noticed the red tint especially when you switch off the telly after watching, but what bothers me the most is the black borders around the edges very noticeable when watching a 1080p blu ray, is this fixable?
  8. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Manufactured sept 2008, would have been bought in Jan 2009.
    Black is red, looks brighter on the right, but its brighter around the edges of the screen than the center. Noticed over the last few months, was thinking it needed calibrating due to its age, and different phospher aging, but if its not, then I will not bother.

Not sure how many hours on it, but it will be a lot, probably over 10000 hours.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thx for the pic upload dbond. I see what you mean that is very red! I take it you've had a play with the settings? I reckon that's worth a call to pioneer tbh
  10. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I have tried changing the brightness, contrast, playing about with colour management etc, the only thing that changes it slightly is the colour temp, increasing it adds a little blue.

I have put in support email to them, hopefully will get something back soon.
    Will let you know what happens.
  11. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah if you can keep us all updated that would be great, sure a lot of us on here would like to know the outcome.
  12. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Have any of you that have posted pictures of your screens on a blank input actually seen this red tint on an actual picture?

It seems to me that it only affects the black borders and NOT what's on the screen, and even this can be eliminated with some ambient lighting in the room.
  13. tapmeester

tapmeester Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday Pioneer repair guy took my plasma for testing. ( I have 3 year warranty, bought at vision+ dealer) Will get it back within 14 day's. Told him that the panel itself is the problem, so replace it with a new one or give me a new plasma. Will let you know what Pioneer decides.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  14. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, if the image has a section of complete, or very black it will show, will show in credits, dark grey is fine, doesn't appear to show red in it. If there is light in the room, Yep doesn't look red, but also doesn't look black, look grey, the same colour as the actual screen.

But that's not the point really, the tv was supposed to have deep blacks, the blackest of all tvs, but it doesn't, it has deep red.

Will see if I can get a photo within an image showing black as red.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried taking some pictures of it with a film running, but have been unable to capture it. one film that shows it very well in parts is "The dead outside", from one hour in, its dark thoughout and shows the blacks in areas as red. Might have another go later.

Forgot to add, this is also with back lighting. Have a halogen lamp next to the tv, dimmed.
  16. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, had another go, did 2 exposures, one which shows the 'blacks' as what they are, but over exposing the bright part of the image, and one that is under exposing the dark areas and with the correct exposure for the bright areas. Both arent get but one shows it on the right.

Here is the one that shows it a bit on the right

[​IMG]

and here is the one that is with the correct exxposure for the bright areas, not showing it, just to show that it doesnt show the dark details, so is missing out on info, and the redness that you can see with your eyes.
    [​IMG]
  17. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck, hope they fix it
  18. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been playing with the manual colour setting, had it set up to what was put up here by can't remember who, bumptus or something. Anyway, I noticed that the lower end red setting has no affect below -1, if its set to anything above 3 it is just a red screen.

Also, have not heard anything back from pioneer about it, so much for 3 business days reply.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  19. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup same, messing with them has no effect.

They should respond eventually I've had a 2 week wait before I heard anything back and that was just regarding a simple ped query.
  20. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky Member

Ratings:
    +46
    My goodness...your red/black screen looks a lot worse than mine.

I will try and get a pic for you up tomorrow.

I think a few of us should write in to Pioneer, seeing that some of us should have a 5 year warranty.

Btw if i set my brightness to 0 i then get the reddish background, so its still a problem.

***Edit***
    Should also say that even turning your brightness right up, still as no effect on that black screen. It will not even look brighter. But turning up the brightness will take out the red on the black bars and backgrounds on programme material, which it has on mine.

Also, id like to hear what the ISF guys who come on the site have to say about this problem. Come on chaps, you must calibrate 5090's and see this problem?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  21. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that, well not the increasing the brightness, but would be equivalent, the very low end blacks, are red, but at a point, the red disappears, might have a look at what level they disappear in PhotoShop.

But I agree, maybe we should group together is pioneer don't do anything.

I would be interested in what an ISF calibrater thinks about this, solutions, if they have seen it before.
  22. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Let's see how tapmeester gets on as his set has been sent away for testing.

But your right, can't do any harm us all getting in contact with pioneer regarding this problem.
  23. tapmeester

tapmeester Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Called repair station yesterday for info about my Pio. Guy said that they were waiting for parts? Talked with the guy and he said they compared my 5090 with another 5090 and there was no difference in red. He also said that even a new 5090 has a reddisch black so it is normal. It's the plasma that is glowing. I also saw on a German forum that a guy got a brandnew 5090! Will keep you informed.
  24. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update, strange that they are waiting for parts if the red is normal.
  25. tapmeester

tapmeester Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the one they compared it with was also infected with the red glow. The only way to get rid of the red is a brand new plasma. I'm going for that option, i will try at least.
  26. JonathanAV

JonathanAV Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

I would advise to get all Pioneer screens calibrated. You will notice a big difference in these screens.

I woudnt mess around with the Colour Temperature in manual mode unless you are hooked up with a meter & CalMAN/ChromaPure software. You would be surprised how much these settings change when calibrated.

Adjusting Brightness & Contrast, even by +2 or -2 etc can cause Crushing of Blacks & Cliping of whites resulting in poor overall detail & thats before messing about with colour temperature.

Never adjust CMS (colour managment system) on these sets, it will make the picture worse! & mess up the greyscale!! Any honest Calibrator will tell you this.

Everyone thinks that using other peoples Basic Calibration settings on these screens can achieve ok results.
    Maybe, for some screens, in brightness & contrast........but not much else unless its calibrated. Everyone has different environmental brightness in there rooms & the Gamma would need to be different when watching in daylight & in a dark room. Only a meter can achieve True results, no one can do it by eye alone.

I have an 8th Gen 50" Kuro, clocked over 11,500 hours :(
    Ive noticed the Gamma can get poor on these sets but I still get a great picture. Calibrated correctly they look great in HD content

I havent seen a screen, when calibrating, like the pictures below that Red before! It would be good to know what it looked like Calibrated to see if the Colour Temperature or something similar is way-off its settings? or a fault with the screen.
    Hopefully another Calibrator comes along which has seen this before :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  27. dbond

dbond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for looking at the thread. When adjusting the colour, shouldnt it have an affect on it? Reducing the red doesnt affect the red when the value is below -2, is this normal for what you have seen? Would the ISF calibration setting behave any differently? As wouldnt you want to reduce the red if the red is too high, or increase the green and blue to cancel out the affect of the red, but making the black brighter.
    In the colour temp settings I currently have it set to -2 for the low red, the lowest value that makes any difference, anything above that makes the red worse, the working range is -2 to 30. I have also set the low blue and blue to 2 to help reduce it, but the red is still there.

The image still looks good, even with this, but when there are dark scenes, and the room is dark, you see the red in parts, which is annoying especially when you take the cost of the tv into account and its 'ultimate' blacks.

I was going to buy an i1display pro when i noticed this to calibrate it (and the projector i intend on buying at some point for the basement.
  28. tapmeester

tapmeester Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys, new update got a brand new plasma panel!!! That was the only thing they could do to fix the problem, blacks are back like before.
  29. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Good to hear you got it sorted mate, any chance of some before and after pics? Just for curiosity sakes.
  30. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Good to hear its sorted mate, but i would want to know why it went red.

Any chance of finding out? Just so we all know what to say, so that Pioneer cant fob us off. Cheers.

I think we need to get on to Pioneer asap. I still have 30 months left on my year warranty.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.