Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Julie, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichWalk

RichWalk Member

Ratings:
    +46
    The dealer I bought mine from told me they have plenty of spares available, the biggest issue any of us face is a broken screen, this is the one to really avoid!:)
  2. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    really SS ? i used to think that, but i share input4 with a 360 and pio br player , i think i have dm1 for the both of em, and input3 is sky on dm2, thing is i'm pretty sure i have watched br's in dm2 thinking dm1 would be saved alongside the pure preset. what's the best xbox dm ? 1 or 2- running it in pal60.
    my blacks sometimes do not look so good, more noticable when watching films with a border. sometimes you barely notice them, but in dark scenes the whole pic including the border appears noticably lighter, i do not think it's a fault- it's always been like that. anyone know why this appears so ?
  3. kwangomango

kwangomango Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Ozzzy,

Drive mode only affects 50Hz signals so Xbox Pal60 and 1080p24 form bluray are unaffected. Drive mode is also per input and not per AV mode.

Bumtious' Colour Temp settings look terrible on my set as everything is far too green/yellow. Although every individual set is different i'd also guess that different batches of sets produced lean towards a different colour push, explaining why mine looks very green with those settings and others might not.
    You are better off trying the default Low or Mid-Low Colour Temps or trying someone elses.
    My Movie, Pure and ISF settings are basically the same:

Red High -1
    Green High 0
    Blue High 2
    Red Low 0
    Green Low 0
    Blue Low 1

There are several other users settings in this thread and this thread from the controlcal forum. They might suit your set better but will never be quite as good as a calibration on your set.

Regarding black level, the borders on a 2.35:1 appear more or less dark depending on the overall brightness of the movie scene. In well lit daylight scenes, the borders on mine almost blend (still just noticeably a touch less black) in to the bezel. On some darker night time scenes the blacks can appear slightly less black including the borders. You also have to consider issues that might be in the source; Pan's Labyrinth for example has blacks which appear as ver dark grey for the entire movie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. geese

geese Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah some movies has less desireable blacks than others...but luckily I have not experienced the above mentioned by Ozzzy. Saw Ghost rider the other day and blacks were extremely black in a dark room. They really go deep these 500A/M's.
  5. RichWalk

RichWalk Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Quick question, when using my Bluray player, I have a YcBcr/RGB setting, on Dave's review he advises those with HD sets use either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 (there is also an 'Auto' setting) which one should I be using with the KRP? (Sony BPD-760 player direct HDMI connect into the media box)

I had it calibrated on 'Auto' so would it be best to simply leave it alone? :D
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  6. Vverdenfell

Vverdenfell Member

Ratings:
    +2
    YCbCr 4:2:2 for the best results. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    the thing that concerns me about calibration is that three guys could do the same screen with different results. i want to get mine done, but our house is for sale and i don't want to get it done now, seems a waste.
  8. kwangomango

kwangomango Member

Ratings:
    +38
    That isn't likely to happen as they will set Contrast, Brightness, Colour Temp etc based on the readings given by the meters they use. Professional calibrators use costly equipment which is certified and very accurate. Alternatively you could buy or borrow a cheaper and slightly less accurate colour sensor and do it yourself.
    In the mean time, try my settings or one of the others and see what you prefer. Check some material with skintones and see which looks most natural to you without any obvious tint. Remember the KRP has a 'before and after' option when you are changing settings so you can easily switch between two peoples values and see which looks best to you. It applies to all settings you have changed before exiting the menu and not just the last single setting.
  9. RichWalk

RichWalk Member

Ratings:
    +46
    i'd agree with you there, the room itself, postion and colours involved with it are built in if its done properly. Since you have a Pioneer get Steve to do it, mines stunning since he ISF'd it:D
  10. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    cheers. i watched the new deadliest catch and the scenes in the old ship where jonathan pushed keith over looked really weird, my dark scenes look really funny now. like the blacks have a blue sheen to them. some skin tones and clothes look kind of metallic. i can't help but think something is amiss. sticking it in pure isn't helping.
  11. RichWalk

RichWalk Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Thats pretty much the point of it, mine was heavily 'over blue' and had too much magenta in it, Steve noticed it within minutes off putting the first test colour card up. At least now if I watch some ridiculously over coloured Yank show, I know its not the set!:D
  12. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent Active Member

Ratings:
    +449
    ozzy,

You're better off waiting until you move house to get it done, as the environment will be different.

All calibrators work to the same standard, but some have better equipment and have more experience than others, which is bound to play a part, so it is possible I suppose for three different calibrators to come up with different results.

Just because you have ISF on a piece of paper doesn't mean you know it all.

Rich,

What settings were you using before you got the set calibrated?
  13. RichWalk

RichWalk Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Basically Steves but with brightness on -1 and contrast at 29 or 30, my set turned out to be very bright indeed, calibrated contrast for the V+ ended up well under 30 and was only slightly diff for Bluray. If you are using Steves settings, I'd ramp the sharpness upto -12 or -10. I'd also recomend taking the orbitor completely off for watching TV, both of us could see it interfering with the picture, more so on SD channels than HD.:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    interesting about he orbiter. i have never turned mine off. i'm still a bit worried about cleaning her though ! :(
  15. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent Active Member

Ratings:
    +449

A dry microfiber cloth gently across the screen will be fine. I use a separate one for the bezel which I find gets rather dirty for whatever reason. You can see black on the cloth after cleaning it.

These are the ones I use:

Scotch-Brite Glass Cleaning Cloth

ozzy, yours must be filthy by now. You sure you don't want Kim and Aggie to come sort you out? :D

[​IMG]
  16. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +594
    my missus isn't allowed anywhere near it ! there is a film of dust on the screen now !!
  17. Kev12

Kev12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I use those pledge fluffy dusters, any supermarket stocks em.
    The replacements are nice and cheap too:smashin:
  18. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Hi,
    I picked up a KRPA 500 yesterday and very impressed with it. What I wanted to ask was, when people talk about pure setting, is that Pure preset, or pure with Bumtious' settings?

Also does anyone game on this, any gaming settings?

Lastly, what is the best IP mode, 1 or 2?

Thanks
    Jamie
  19. Bumtious

Bumtious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,965
    IP mode 2

Settings published were to be used on the pure preset, that will get you into the ballpark.
  20. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Thanks Bumptious,

Out of interest, do you come down as far as Brighton for calibrations? :)
  21. Bumtious

Bumtious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,965
    Absolutely, my Uncle lives on the front so an overnight stay with him would be very nice.

View from his flat,:cool:

Attached Files:

22. stranger

stranger Member

Ratings:
    +187
    Glad you managed to get one:)
  23. Turb007

Turb007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +248
    yes well done Jwalsh .sorry about that but hopefully you can see why I could'nt let it go in the end :smashin:
  24. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah Turb - no hard feelings mate, was dissapointed at the time but after actually doing 5 mins reading on the Pannys, I can see what changed your mind.

Bumtious, nice pic that, about 5 mins walk from me. I'll PM you maybe we can arrange something over the summer :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. mattyg

mattyg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

So ANGRY/UPSET

Just finished decorating downstairs had doorway knocked through new carpet etc had loads of trades all over house.

Just put tv on the wall and noticed 3 gouges/chips on my screen:mad:

can i polish these out. you cant see them at night but they stand out like a saw thumb when the tv is off and the sunlight hits it or watching during the day and the sunlight catches it.

The front screen is plastic but does it have a anti glare coating that i would end up polishing off. or can i get a replacement front screen.

Its so close to being put in the bedroom and getting a 2nd hand 600:D but the wife would cut my bits off.

Any ideas (apart from a firing squad)
  26. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Home insurance? Would it be covered for acciedental damage under that?
  27. JimBob1971

JimBob1971 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Hi guys,

Not been on this forum for a while - been enjoying my KRP too much.

Can someone advise me on the best settings for SD/HD for

- Colour space (2 at present)
    - Advance (when to use it mainly - I always just leave it off, even for Blu-ray/DVD)
    - Drive mode (that old chestnut - I normally leave it on 2, but am interested in people's results with 1 after a year or so)
    - The difference Game Pref option would make to the picture if I watched using Game mode

I only ask as when I first set things up I thought IP mode 1 was the best to use, but Bumtious suggests otherwise above.

The only thing I've been disappointed with is that the panel can seem a little dim (at least compared with my old 428XD which was VERY bright). However, I can always whack it on user mode if I need that extra boost I suppose.
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  28. Turb007

Turb007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Properly callibrated its certainly not dim :thumbsup: maybe adjust brightness /contrast / gamma to suit :)

Drive 1 for BR and 2 for Sky ( I think but i'm not home to confirm )

Colour space 2 is correct

Advance for BR 100%

off for Sky
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. geese

geese Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Definitely shouldnt be dim......so much contrast and dynamic range on offer with these KRP's its crazy. Try USER and fiddle with the settings.....
  30. JimBob1971

JimBob1971 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    It is dim *compared* to my old Pio 428XD - but that was a very,very bright panel (Bumtious commented on how bright it was). If I pushed the settings it would be difficult to watch in a darkened room, whereas the KRP is very decent but somewhat restrained compared to the 428, particularly in pure and movie modes.

It is only a minor criticism, and doesn't impede my enjoyment. I'm sure if I had it calibrated it'd be comparable to my old 428. But, yeah you are right, if I feel I need more I can switch to USER (or get round to getting it calibrated)
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.