Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Continued from Part 5

Welcome to Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 6

Chippy99 But we aren't printing things off a Pioneer plasma. If red is too magenta (for example), provided it looks right, then there is no harm done. Of course if it looks wrong, then that's a different story and you should adjust it.

But it doesn't actually matter that much provided the picture looks good. As I posted above, your eyes are terrible at judging whether something is correct or not. So we have to resort to meters to calibrate to get it correct. But if your eyes can't tell it was wrong in the first place, then what's the point. There is no need.

Of course I exaggerate to make my point. In reality, the picture will be more pleasing if the colours are close to accurate. But really, being "spot on" is not that important in achieving a great looking image.

I wonder whether many "calibratees" are so pleased because they have got the black level and white levels set right, hence the often-quote "pop" to the image after calibration. I would imagine that's a large part of it.

Gamut colours yes agreed, but not greyscale, setting black and white correctly involves the the correct mixing of colours at differing light levels.

IF there is any slight addition of any colour to the neutral mix needed certainly for black (darker levels) and white then you don't see a proper black it will have a tint to it, the slightest tint effect black levels and contrast.

When they are wrong you end up compensating elsewhere, that's why people whack up contrast or turn colour up or any other multitude of things that just throw things further out. Greyscale is critical to dynamic range hence contrast, and I'm sorry, and that IS ABSOLUTELY critical. And this is why people fiddle cuz these things are wrong and they don't look right.

Sure maybe you would not print from one of these but you can grade, certainly with a KRPM.

I've just done someone who in the business and involved in the broadcast chain, KRPM and he has stated in his earlier posts the differences he sees. And his was good before we started.

One man's poison is another man's nectar, but I would say that if you are distracted when you are watching something and you end up fiddling, then I would say without doubt calibration is for you, if you just want to know its right, then again its for you, but if you are happy, then please guys, enjoy your baby and don't stress, Pure is pretty good.

BUT it can be bettered and depending on your level of understanding and appreciation of what a correct picture looks like and the benefits you will gain (and please I'm not having a go.. understanding and appreciation of AV is JUST the same as say learning to play the piano) (which I can't) and its easy to see when you know what a good picture should, that's why, and again can't answer for others, you will see a before and after, and will be advised on the difference and the improvements that you are likely to see on your set before we start.

Peoples level of expectation and demand differ and its just very simply meeting those expectations, and the terms slight to day and night will vary to people level of understanding as explained above.

B

Hi All !

I've been having this screen (and the media box) for some time now and I have to say I'm hugely impressed with it. Except for this minor 'issue' !

Ok here goes : The TV performs fantastically well most of the time. However some times (irrespective of whether I'm watching free-view, satellite, DVDs or Blu-rays), it suddenly goes in to standby mode. What happens is that when its being watched, the screen suddenly goes blank (black) and a blue and red square start appearing alternatively for few seconds. Soon after that the entire TV (including the media box) goes to standby mode. Once it is on stand-by mode, you can switch on the TV again and it continues to work normally (it could take more than one attempt occasionally to get it restarted as it keeps going to standby mode). This can some times occur several times during a movie (which is very annoying) and some times not at all... There's no pattern to it and completley random. It is not due to any lose connections or any wiring issues as I have made sure all that is in order. I have no clue as to why this is happening and where the problem is ! :rolleyes:

I remember one person at some forum mentioning the same thing and saying it was due to a fault in a circuit-board that helps the screen and the media box communicate with each other. At the time I did not pay too much attention to it and now I don’t remember where I saw it!.. More importantly I don't know what/where exactly the problem is… :eek::rolleyes:

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated !

Cheers !

I know how you feel! Scared me a great deal when was I experiencing it shortly after I got my KRP500 A last year. As it turned out, the problem was just a loosely connected system cable at the media box end. :facepalm:
Just jiggle the system cable at both the TV and media box ends, to be sure that it is securely connected and that should sort you out :smashin:

I know how you feel! Scared me a great deal when was I experiencing it shortly after I got my KRP500 A last year. As it turned out, the problem was just a loosely connected system cable at the media box end. :facepalm:
Just jiggle the system cable at both the TV and media box ends, to be sure that it is securely connected and that should sort you out :smashin:

You think so ? At the beginning itslef I tried unplugging and refixing the system cable when the problem appeared.. Even tried switching ends... still no luck...:confused:

Anyways will give it another go and see..

Last edited:
You think so ? At the beginning itslef I tried unplugging and refixing the system cable when the problem appeared.. Even tried switching ends... still no luck...:confused:

Anyways will give it another go and see..

You might have a dodgy system cable.

Might be worth trying another just to see if it cures the problem, and if not, atleast you'll have eliminated that as a possible cause of the problem.

Also, make sure the power cable is securely connected to the media receiver.

And make sure the mains plug is fully home in its socket (both ends)

Thanks guys... Will try those options and see.. Will let you know how I get on... Cheers !

Hi, i just bought krp500A. Want to ask all the experts. What is the best setting for pc? im using hdmi cable to connect pc to 500a and the resolution is 1920x1080. at the moment, i'm using the pc mode coz it produces sharp font, easy to read texts. if i choose video mode and set to optimum, the words look blur. but my problem is, when i watch movie using pc mode, the black level produced is not darken in video mode. plz help me.

Currently my KRP-500A is set to 1080i should it be on 1080p?

Setup as follows: SKY+HD, PS3, PIONEER SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

Currently my KRP-500A is set to 1080i should it be on 1080p?

Setup as follows: SKY+HD, PS3, PIONEER SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

It will report 1080i from Sky if thats what the box is set to.
PS3 should be set to output 1080p24 in its video menu.

What you are seeing at top right is what signal the TV is receiving, the TV is at 1080p all the time.

just in case anyones not aware yet you can actually pick up itv hd 1 now along with the already avail lux hd and bbc hd :)

Hi all, is there anything to be gained by updating my firmware to 0908-0601, my firmware at the moment ends 0908-0403 or something like that..definitely ends in 04**, just not sure whether to update or not or just to leave well alone.

Hope this is not a daft question..:)

Thankyou

Hi all, is there anything to be gained by updating my firmware to 0908-0601, my firmware at the moment ends 0908-0403 or something like that..definitely ends in 04**, just not sure whether to update or not or just to leave well alone.

Hope this is not a daft question..:)

Thankyou

http://www.pioneer-rus.ru/files/support/KURO/PioneerKURO_KRPM01_500A_600A_History.txt

Firmware History File

Model: KRP-M01
KRP-500A
KRP-600A

Ver. 0908-0601
-The update adds support for Italian PPV DVB-T broadcasting.

-Includes countermeasure for following issues:
Wrong translation in time setting for SAT in Germany.
"This channel is not in service" is displayed while watching DVB-T "freeview"
When using DVB-S, special Czech characters in EPG are wrongfully displayed.
Missing/incorrect TXT characters via satellite on channels Nederland1, 2, 3 and BVN
The name of a manually configured satellite remains blank in the SEARCH menu

My firmware was originally 0907 0401, but I updated it a few weeks ago. It made no difference.

Last edited:
The sound problem on the Freeview broadcast is really bugging me now as it seems to be getting worser. In the past it was a couple of channels but it seems to be occuring on a wider range of channels. I have rescan regularly but there is no longer an improvement. The temporary fix of pressing the I-II button mention by a fellow member seems to work occasionally but I am frustrately that a premium TV has this issue! :(

I will be moving flats in the next month or so and wondered what advice I could get on securing my KRP500A?

I'm reckoning a] don't lie it flat on it's face? b] take it off its base when carrying and I'm thinking how should it c] be covered/protected?

@BLfan, re. poor quality freeview, have you ruled out reception issues? That said, I think the whole implementation of freeview on the Pioneer KRP500A, its EPG especially is pretty dire to being almost unusable though I understand that's not your issue, it might be worth trying out another freeview box with it?

I was watching something on my tv last night (dave gorman america unchained) and i am sure that my black level on this tv has got deeper its just hit 3500 hrs the blacks were something else in the night time scenes , has anyone with a similar amount of hours noticed this or am i imagining it or has it been like this all along :confused:

I was watching something on my tv last night (dave gorman america unchained) and i am sure that my black level on this tv has got deeper its just hit 3500 hrs the blacks were something else in the night time scenes , has anyone with a similar amount of hours noticed this or am i imagining it or has it been like this all along :confused:

:nono:
I hope you're not trying to make certain P owners jealous....:devil:

:nono:
I hope you're not trying to make certain P owners jealous....:devil:
No you have pointed it out it does seem like it.
I had no intention of doing that i just wanted an answer off of fellow krp owners, and besides i too am a pana owner and i certainly dont want anything to happen to it or i will be seriously peed off.
Anyhow has anyone noticed it getting deeper?

No you have pointed it out it does seem like it.
I had no intention of doing that i just wanted an answer off of fellow krp owners, and besides i too am a pana owner and i certainly dont want anything to happen to it or i will be seriously peed off.
Anyhow has anyone noticed it getting deeper?

Just my daft idea of a joke, I feel for the Panasonic owners.

My 500A on start up was awful, noisy and no deep blacks, more a dark grey.
After an hour or two it transformed to what it shows now circa 2000hrs+, a deep coal black, the black bars on a BD really do blend in with the bezel(just about).
To answer your question though, no, mine seems to have stayed the same, very black.

I haven't noticed any change in black level on my KRP in the 15 months I've owned it. Then again, it's something I never paid attention to, as it was plenty black enough from the off, so I was quite happy.

Its funny you mention it cuz I was watching Ghost Rider on BR last night in a totally black room and man was I impressed with the blacks. I have about 1400 hours on it and they seem deeper somehow....simply more incy. Even my father with his Sony HQ100 CRT was crazed about the blacks. Amazing stuff:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom