1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by MovieFan60, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Sergio

Sergio Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks grifz, initially I went in setup, directly in "hdmi" and I switched the "single" to "separate" - and nothing happened :) - and switched back. Reading your reply I have tried again, switched again, nothing happened (again) - I mean no signal was coming into the AV receiver. But I let the output on "separate, switched off and on the bdp (OK, a logical step missed first time...) and problem solved - thank you :thumbsup:.
  2. Jiggsteruk

Jiggsteruk Member

Ratings:
    +0

Still no one has come back on this. I have been given a Groove Armada SACD which has been downloaded it says its DTS but in a .WAV file. All I get from my player is static out the speakers I thought this player could do DTS audio.....Can anyone help me or am i being a fool here and doing something wrong? :lease::lease::lease::lease:
  3. Ian_S

Ian_S Member

Ratings:
    +1,499
    FLAC is not SACD. You cannot create your own SACD as there is no such thing as an SACD burner. SACD's native format is something called DSD.

As for DTS, players will only play DTS if it is on a DVD or a Blu-ray that is correctly built. There were DTS CD's for a while that had no video, but I don't know how you would create one of those.
  4. grifz

grifz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just play the file through a USB port
  5. jleholeho

jleholeho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Dear folks,

I´ve been participating on various threads on various forums, however, I was unable to get an appropriate solution on how to make my Pioneer BDP-440 DVD-only MR...
    I need it only for my extensive reg 1 DVDs collection. I had both BDP-320 and 430 DVD MR before (but bought both of them at UK retailers, my present BDP-440 is from Vienna)
    I heard a lot of people say they do have it, either straight from their retailer or made by some remote with special codes in it...
    Sadly, no one could really help me with this so far...
    It´s really annoying as I´ve been looking for this capability ever since I bought my player in October 2011...
    Any of you guys who has BDP-140/440/LX55 DVD MR, can you please guide me a little bit? If you bought it at Sevenoaks (who I guess sell it DVD MR out of the box), could you find out on how to make it?
    I´m in central EU but I have no problem sending my player to UK in order to get it...
    I know there is a solution, just help me a little bit please...

Appreciate it,
    THX
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. scarymonster

scarymonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    j, I thought it was done by some kind of programmable remote control that costs mega bucks. Try calling some of the UK stores that offer your model of player as DVD MR out of the box and see if they will do it for you if you ship it to them?

I just got my LX55 from Weybridge Audio but they don't seem to offer the 440 as DVD MR as they do the LX55.

edit: Or speak to these guys and see if they can retro fit for you?

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_98&products_id=1365
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. jleholeho

jleholeho Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks man,
    yep, I heard about such kind of remote, too...a guy from avland.co.uk told me that when I was chatting with him but strange as it may be, once I asked him if there`s an option to send my player over he stopped responding...that`s why I`m surprised as they are trying to make a whole lot of magic about it, as if it was something really precious...shame that Pioneer BDPs seems to be one of a few which need to utilize such procedure and simple "hack remote" off eBay is not enough...
    if your retailer sells LX55 DVD MR, they are surely able to make BDP-440 DVD MR, too, as the players are pretty much the same (except for the Qdeo and 2 HDMI outs on LX55)...
    I`m hesitant because I think damn UK retailers simply won`t respond to my queries as to a non-customer...but I`ll definitely give it a try...
    I`ll let you know then, you could maybe ask your store whether there`d be any option sending it to them...I`ll be very appreciative..

I`ve also tried to contact at least 5 modifying shops before, such as mrmdvd.com, but all of them offer both BD+DVD MR playback only and refuse to do anything if you need just DVD MR...they simply suggest the whole thing or nothing, as they need to make money, indeed...

Many thanks again
    Jan
  8. Mark in Paris

Mark in Paris Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. hideos trait

hideos trait Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Well WHF did'nt review the bdp-lx53-54 after bestowing the AVR Partners with a 2010 POTY award with the vsx lx53,then i suppose it was up to customer to match the vsx-lx55 with the already available bdp-lx54 or wait for this seemly proper pioneer bdp-lx55.So i suppose it would have looked really strange giving the AVRs POTY awards & best product in its class,then giving the respective BDPs 2 0r 3 stars....Its a tricky one as all kit should be reviewed accordingly,but i really dont know in these cases with the mixed review the bdp-53 got,then the bugs with the '54.So IMHO i think we have a genuine,proper pioneer bluray player back again.If it has as good PQ as my bdp lx52 on my tv and plays mkv and 3D ok then im in.its nice in a pioneer way but not the build of the '52,i can stand by that.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  10. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Is this player fanless?

Thanks.
  11. aircub

aircub Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Yes.
  12. RickP

RickP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I've just bought an lx55 and when i try to update the firmware I get the following message "No valid id file found" is this normal? The current firmware is 3.0 so I don't know if it needs updating or not. Also I can't get youtube to work, it loads up but will not display any videos. I've done the internet connection test and all's fine.
    Can anyone shed any light on my problems?
    Thanks in advance, Rick
  13. HARRYSPADGE

HARRYSPADGE Member

Ratings:
    +2
    There are no firmware updates available yet which is why you are getting that message. I'm guessing you are trying to update via the Internet.
  14. RickP

RickP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes trying to update via internet, just thought I'd get an message like "there are no updates" or "you have the current firmware" as it says in the manual if "No valid id found!" is displayed when trying to update to perform a connection test. Which I have and all is ok! Just wondered if everyone else gets the same message?
  15. iDimmy

iDimmy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Getting same message here too for my LX55..
  16. RickP

RickP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks, all ok on that front then! How about youtube?
  17. HARRYSPADGE

HARRYSPADGE Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I haven't tried updating via Internet but I have been checking the Pioneer website quite regularly and no firmware updates are available that I know of. I wish they would hurry up and release one to sort out some of the problems we are experiencing !
  18. iDimmy

iDimmy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Working after few minutes since starting up.. Not working if starting YouTube just after power up.. Looks as player needs some time for additional booting (get IP, resolve DNS and so on..)..
  19. scarymonster

scarymonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Really pleased with my LX55 thus far. Only had it a week and only using it to play Blu Ray discs of which I only have one boxset (lol) being Fringe season 1-3. Excellent stuff. :)
  20. Jay Bird

Jay Bird Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone. Just my first comparison of my Oppo 93, BDP-LX54 and my new BDP-LX55. So far my new LX55 is behaving itself. A lot of people have compared it to the Oppo 93 , saying it equil or better(even taking into account the price difference). Well I don't quiet agree. Its a big jump forward for Pioneer that's for sure, but it's not on par with the Oppo for stability, usability, sound and just level on picture. When the Oppo comes across files it can not play, it simply tells you it can't and returns you to the last menu you were in. The Pioneer on the other hand does the "pull the plug from the wall routine". The Oppo also seems to play a wider range of files than the LX55. That said the LX55 is doing almost every thing I ask of it, which is a great relief after my experience with the dreaded LX54. The LX54 had promise, but it also had that many faults. It was hard to live with and spent most of it's life in it's box in the loft awaiting the next firmware update. I'm pleased to say, so far the LX55 shares far more things in common with the Oppo93, than it's older sibling. But that's not to say its as good.

I've not had the problems some other people have posted, i.e weak remote response for one. I do use a IR repeater, with an attached sender on the face of my LX55 and find it responds quickly to commands. If I experience any new problems with the LX55 I'll be sure to post them, but with a few firmware updates the LX55 might become a proper Pioneer Player of old, and not a half sibling of anything Sharp.:devil:
  21. GlynH

GlynH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    After my bad experience with two LX55 I was thinking of going to the Oppo 93.

Don't really need the better analogue capabilities of its bigger brother 95

Thanks for the comparison.

-=Glyn=-
  22. aircub

aircub Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Using the second HDMI for sound offers a useful improvement over the single output. What surprised me is how good the sound decoding is on the LX55. I found sending PCM signals to my receiver sounded considerably better than letting it do the decoding itself! Quite surprising but worth trying if you are running older gear.
  23. Karezoid

Karezoid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello. I'm new here. I just bought new PIONEER BDP-LX 55 and connected it via HDMI cable to PIONEER SC-LX 75 av receiver. Some functions are not working properly and I want to share it with you. Maybe we could find how to resolve those issues. First of all if you have soem sound "drop outs" during playing BD Discs with BR player settings ( HDMI Audio - bitstream, PQLS on ). This was first issue. I found vary simple solution on Swedish forum.

1. -Switch off the Quick Start mode
    -Turn on/off the player with no disc

Second issue. I wanted to play SACD disc - MULTICHANNEL TITANIC SACD.
    After first approach BR player recognized it and played with no problems. Second time information "UNKNOWN DISC" appeared on the screen and disc has not been played. After reconnecting it and switched on third time finally SACD disc has been found, but....played as STEREO and I couldn't switch playback mode on MULTI or CD - dissapointing.

Third issue. During playing another SACD MULTICHANNEL disc sound was not properly distributed between the channels. Front and center was ok, but balance between SURR L and SURR R was distorted. Sound which should be heard parallely on two rer channels was moved almost completely on the left side. I heard STING's voice very close and clear in left SURR box but in right only some hard noticable sounds of instruments. I remember that it all was played properly on my latest equipment SONY STR DA-5400 and BDP-S780 and slections of channel was great. I tried to find what could be a reason why this connection in PIONEER doesn't work. Speakers connected properly, BR with RECEIVER - good, all settings - correct. So what's wrong with comunication or maybe decoding of DSD Bitstream on board of SC LX 75. I;m dissapointed cause I bought LX55 for SACD too :(. If you someone have idea what is the problem with this channel separation - please let us know ( is it possible taht I used old 1.3 HDMI cable instead of new 1.4 HDMI? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong )

I don't noticed any other issues which you all mentioned in the posts earlier. No lip-sync issue already.

UPDATE

I found the way for incorrect channel separation during listening SACD MULTICHANNEL playback via HDMI and BITSTREAM output from BD.

You have to connect additional HDMI cable ( separate for sound and picture ) and sound need to be transmited via HDMI sub output in BR.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  24. pompeygreg

pompeygreg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I picked up my BDP-LX55 yesterday, I've got it running through the VSX-LX55. Both are connected via Ethernet to my router and I can successfully control both using the app on my iPad.

I also have a DNLA enabled server, but both of them recognising the server is a bit hit and miss, sometimes the server shows in HMG sometimes it doesn't.

Also what file formats should I be able to play using HMG on the BDP? I've looked through the manual but can't see anything obvious that tells me?
  25. pompeygreg

pompeygreg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Found the file formats online, and it confirmed that I should be able to play .avi files, but when I try and play them I get a DMS error message.

On the receiver I can play my iTunes library and FLAC files with no problems. Will have to experiment with the BDP and see if I can play other formats ok.
  26. Karezoid

Karezoid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, and what about FLAC files located on the external MP3 player ( COWON J3 )?. My SC-LX 75 didn't found them as FLAC. Only MP3 and photos.
  27. Karezoid

Karezoid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    One more thing. Anybody have problems with palying standard CD's? Some of them played via HDMI / biststream and even via analogue output to SC-LX 75 are distorted with strong noise and they're hard to listen :(. I'm trying to find positive things , but each new dissapointing fact makes me sad and I don't know if I will hold this BR and not change to different.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  28. pompeygreg

pompeygreg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    FLAC files stream from my NAS to the LX55 receiver with no problems.

On the BDP I get an Error pop up which reads

PLB MSG
    DMS Browse Fail!

OK

Any ideas?
  29. pompeygreg

pompeygreg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The other thing I have noticed is that I can browse the folders on the NAS ok until that message appears, and then even selecting the NAS on the HMG home screen brings up the error message.

[​IMG]

I've also experienced a lack of response to the remote which required me to power cycle the unit. I guess I'll be ringing the shop on Monday :-(
  30. pompeygreg

pompeygreg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Problem sorted. I updated the firmware on my NAS and also the version of the ReadyDNLA installed on the NAS and it now works a treat. Have also been able to stream from my USB stick plugged into the front.

So a thumbs up from me :)