Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player

what's the name of the movies, you're having issues with?

I've only tried Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Both terrible. Didn't bother trying any others as the player is clearly faulty.

Crabman32 said:
I've only tried Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Both terrible. Didn't bother trying any others as the player is clearly faulty.

Thanks, I have both films, i'll test them later.

Crabman32 said:

Jurassic park had no issues, but terminator 2 was really bad.
After setting my Pioneer SC-LX56 Auto Delay & Delay to 4.0 settings, Terminator played flawlessly.
I played Jurassic park again leaving the settings the same, and to my surprise it still played without issues.

I tested Terminator 2 on my iMac, it also had a slight lip sync issues but not as bad as the pioneer LX55.

Blu-rayx said:
Jurassic park had no issues, but terminator 2 was really bad.
After setting my Pioneer SC-LX56 Auto Delay & Delay to 4.0 settings, Terminator played flawlessly.
I played Jurassic park again leaving the settings the same, and to my surprise it still played without issues.

I tested Terminator 2 on my iMac, it also had a slight lip sync issues but not as bad as the pioneer LX55.

I admit lip sync can be an issue but I'm sure some people convince themselves it's there....

I admit lip sync can be an issue but I'm sure some people convince themselves it's there....

Trust me brad, it was unwatchable. Just got back from Richer Sounds with a perfect working Panasonic DMP-BDT500. I'm well happy with it. :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

Possibly a bit off topic this but I'm having problems using the iPhone/iPad AVControl2012 app.

On initially using the app (on either device) it works brilliantly. But then, after a couple of days of using the app to control the player, it stops being able to connect.

The only way I can get the app working again is to power down both my router and the blu-ray player (as per Pioneer's instructions). But, this is happening so often that its not really a viable solution.

I simply want the app to work all the time. Was wondering if anyone on here has had similar issues and have overcome them?

Cheers.

Anyone notice how much PQ improves say using a HD movie on an USB? I have noticed the 1080p upscale of a 720p movie is a truly great transformation. I was watching Deja Vu on my HTPC but the fan was too noisy for some reason (a lot more than usual),so i transfered it on to USB & plugged it into the '55...

The whole picture just came alive & also had PCM multi-ch surround,which imo is a lot better than a lot of straight DVD STs, DD or DTS. Then you also have the options of turning subs on/off.
The only caveat if the movie doesn't have chapters that can be annoying... But is this all due to QDEO? as i thought it only worked on Blurays/DVDs. But i think because its showing up as 1080p res. it must be the scaler..

Really best upscaling ive had so far from any source... apart from the BDP-LX55's little clunky niggles its S/V quality is still up there with the best.:)

What a heap of junk!!!!
This is my second LX55,first one wouldn't load discs after a 2 weeks from new.
Lip synch issues with most blu rays,now it continually freezes and the only way to get it to respond as the on off button is frozen is to pull the plug.
Now it will only load about 50% of my blu rays the rest it will play the intro and then just stop.
Going to call Peter Tyson this am. It's about 15 months old.
Worst disc player of any I've owned since the days of Laser disc,when Pioneer was king of the players.

Well
Thats the third one plugged in ......and going back,
and my faith in Pioneer shortened, Plays well for a few minutes,or player freezes,as soon as a hard wired network is plugged in the player just does what ever it wants and thats without even knowing its there, so back to my trusty cheap Panasonic for now !:thumbsdow

Its strange how one player differs from another..Mine is hardwired in since i got it 4+ months ago & it doesn't freeze up,its just picky with DLNA connecting to other PCs in the house.I think they are niggly with older routers/NAS devices as well.

I must be one of the lucky ones though,but i still reckon the A/V quality is superb & i'l take that as i don't use the network features except updates,which are few & far between with this particular BDP. I use USB a lot to watch movies,& that too works flawlessly...

This reminds me of the BDP-LX54 fiasco except this one seems an awful lot better.

Its strange how one player differs from another..Mine is hardwired in since i got it 4+ months ago & it doesn't freeze up,its just picky with DLNA connecting to other PCs in the house.I think they are niggly with older routers/NAS devices as well.

I must be one of the lucky ones though,but i still reckon the A/V quality is superb & i'l take that as i don't use the network features except updates,which are few & far between with this particular BDP. I use USB a lot to watch movies,& that too works flawlessly...

This reminds me of the BDP-LX54 fiasco except this one seems an awful lot better.

My LX55 plays everything flawlessly :)

richmagnus is very unlucky, it must be a faulty batch.

Last edited:
Picked up an LX55 at the Bristol show back in Feb 2012, it's been flawless, plays everything (disc's and mkv's off USB) has not frozen once and produces awesome pic and sound.

It's also running original firmware - didn't want to upgrade and risk Cinavia - or whatever it's called.

Sounds like there are some real dogs out there though.

Picked up an LX55 at the Bristol show back in Feb 2012, it's been flawless, plays everything (disc's and mkv's off USB) has not frozen once and produces awesome pic and sound.

It's also running original firmware - didn't want to upgrade and risk Cinavia - or whatever it's called.

What's Cinavia or am I being stupid?:eek:

Wouldn't worry about it,mine came with latest firmware & nothing has been purposefully stopped due to cinavia. It did happen on a Sony bdp-s480 i had though..About 30mins into an MKV filed movie a big banner came up across the screen & the audio cut out.

You think the Pioneer has bugs,the Sony was forever freezing up on me,hence untold amount of plug pulling..
IMO network features in A/V equipment don't really run nearly as well as on a NAS or media PC.

I just use my LX-55 for BDs & USB files (for 16:9 on PJ:D) & Its running grand. I wouldn't even bother with the YT app on it anyways its user un-friendly.I have Stuck to what its mainly built for & it works great for me anyhow...
But again in its price-range i can see where folks might have a problem with it.:)

^^^^Can anyone confirm the above regarding Cinavia?
I wouldn't mind upgrading to current firmware but would not want to encounter problems playing MKV Blu-ray rips from USB

^^^^Can anyone confirm the above regarding Cinavia?
I wouldn't mind upgrading to current firmware but would not want to encounter problems playing MKV Blu-ray rips from USB

Your Blu-ray rips are they compressed?

Yes, usually go for the 1080p compressed that's comes in around 8-10gigs

Yes, usually go for the 1080p compressed that's comes in around 8-10gigs

I will use handbrake to compress the file and report back later :)
If you use handbrake what are your settings?

Sorry to be clear - I'm on about torrents, my friend sends them to me on USB.
MKV files (1080p blu rips with DTS) around the 8-10gig

Sorry to be clear - I'm on about torrents, my friend sends them to me on USB.
MKV files (1080p blu rips with DTS) around the 8-10gig

MKV 1080p blu-ray rips work. To be honest if your LX55 is working without issues, I wouldn't update the firmware.

Last edited:
MKV 1080p blu-ray rips work. To be honest if your LX55 is working without issues, I wouldn't update the firmware.
Mine came with the latest FW update & its fine. I have only a handful of MP4 files which refused to play by USB. Im talking 4-5 movies out of all the movies i have played from USB. Also gotta love the Marvell upscaler/processor in this machine imo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom