Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by MovieFan60, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MovieFan60

MovieFan60 Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Anybody have any idea when this will be available
  2. Thegelman

Thegelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    September/October time from what I've heard.
  3. Thegelman

Thegelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I saw today that AVLand, Hispek and Frankharveyhifi removed the details and spec on the Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray player, so I emailed AVLand to ask why. Response, 'Pioneer Japan have asked Pioneer UK to get all their dealers to remove it. It is still coming, it's just meant to be a secret though.' So no one be telling anyone. :)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. innerscape

innerscape Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I wouldn't rush out and buy this machine as Pioneer haven't resolved lip-sync and audio dropouts and a number of FAILD issues on the out going LX54 yet.

Issues
    Lip Sync
    Audio Dropouts
    Judder
    Freezing on power off
    No YouTube
    No DLNA
    Three Firmware updates with no apparent cure
    Lack of interest from Dealers and Pioneer

See "Pioneer LX 54 arrived today" thread for more information.:nono:
  5. Thegelman

Thegelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +74

Hi

Yep, I have to admit I have been keeping a close eye on that thread of late. I would definitely like to have a demo of this player first before even considering a purchase.
  6. DOBLY

DOBLY Member

Ratings:
    +145
  7. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Previously hideos trait

Ratings:
    +86
    Well,they would be ruining their BDP reputation,(not pioneer/sharp,thats already in the skip) if they go the way of the '54.I reckon the LX55 will be a decent player,also its possible the delay is so as to make sure they come out with the new AVRs,man they look good.The midrange vsx2021 got a couple of 5star reviews @ approx. £750,but id say pioneer are waiting to pair the bdp-lx55 with the SC-LX7/85 recievers.If they dont succeed with the bdp-lx55 because of faults like the '54 i'll give up on pioneer BDPs.
  8. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +76
    32 bit DAC's for exceptional audio performance?
    Is this only related to SACD/Flac material or will it enhance Blu-ray DTS HD MA audio too??
  9. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Previously hideos trait

Ratings:
    +86
    If your using multi-ch ins/outs,presumably it will enhance DTS-HD-MA converted to PCM,as well as any other converted signal...I would'nt like to bet my house that you will hear an actual difference though...
  10. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Told today by Pioneer that it is planned for mid November. I am getting a replacement for my rubbish BDP-LX54 and I can't wait. The guy told me that this is a pure Pioneer in house player while the 54 was a third party re-brand and that was why the problems occurred.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Hmmmm wonder if there will be multi-region mod chip for this player?
  12. EA666

EA666 Member

Ratings:
    +56
    i'm looking to replace my BDP-LX52, need newer technology. Hopefully the BDP-LX55 will live up to the originals!!!
  13. dody2

dody2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Got mine yesterday, first look is very good, picture and sound are amazing.

Not had chance to look at every feature and setting yet but I will report back if I find any issues.

Pionner LX 73, Monitor Audio Radius HD 7.1, Panasonic VT30 50"
  14. dody2

dody2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Just an update the BDP LX55 is performing perfectly, DLNA works first time with my Link Station 2T.

PCM Blu Ray audio via PQLS is different to setting to Bitstreem and using dts Master HD but I think its no better or worse just different. PQLS seems brighter and faster paced but dts seems more natural and movie like.

Network connection worked first time with no fuss.

So far so good, next tests will be CD SACD and DVD playback.
  15. ukcanuk

ukcanuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks for posting your thoughts on playback. How does the build quality compare to others at the price point? Have you had any playback issues with BD's (my 54 is pretty poor on general playback duty)?
  16. dody2

dody2 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again,

To compare picture I had a BDP LX52 which was good but swapped it out for a Panasonic 310 to make use of the 3D the BDP LX55 is an improvment over both of them for both 2D and 3D picture quality.

The build quality is very good, way better than the Panasonic, and as good as the BDP LX52. To be ultra critical the remote on the LX55 is not as nice as the heavy metal faced remote of the LX52.

Hope this helps.
  17. PIN1974

PIN1974 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I also picked up this player at the weekend. This was to replace the pioneer DVD LX50 I have been using for some time and jump to Blu.

I was waiting for this player as I could not justify to myself spending the £500 that an Oppo 93 demands. Although I was keen to see QDEO scaling in action.

So I did a side by side comparison of this player on a Panasonic VT30 at a local dealer to see if I could see a difference between the Pioneer BDP LX55 and a Panasonic 310. What is very important to me is the dual HDMI out and the DVD upscaling capability given that I will not be replacing my old DVD discs with Blu rays.

From my perspective the DVD image coming from the pioneer was a clear step up from the Panny 310 which seemed softer in comparison. Not to say that the 310 was a bad player, just not my preference in this scenario. I previously used the anchor bay chip in the Denon 3310 amp for these duties, I can easily say that this role has been retired.

I have since picked up some BRs and been stunned by the image quality of Avatar. I am also pleased with the start up time, which in comparison to the first time I looked into HD discs is much faster.

I am hoping that this player does not have the support issues of the previous pioneer BR deck, because if it does I will be upgrading to the Oppo. Although mine is networked I don't rally care for the web capabilities of players, I just want it to play the discs I feed it well. I have had no issues to date given the DVDs and BRs I have played with. Fingers crossed.

So far so good. I will be interested to see how it reviews but for me this player is the right choice in terms of my view of its capabilities vs price.
  18. usman24

usman24 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    where did you buy the player from in the U.K?
  19. usman24

usman24 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I now have one on order which should arrive tommorrow.
  20. Member 569079

Member 569079 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    We have received stock of Pioneer BDP-LX55 this week, first impressions are very good indeed - vibrant colours, sharp images with deep blacks, excellent movement tracking without 'jaggies' and very good 2 channel music quality to boot.
  21. usman24

usman24 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    my first [last LOL] impressions of the BD-55LX:

pros:

1] excellent SD picture quality [de-interlacing/scaling] IMHO better than oppo-93 even though they both use Qdeo.

2] good features

3] decent movie sound quality.

4] quiet drive with fairly fast loading of discs

5] fast chapter changes

cons:

1] BD picture on some discs quite noisy looking and "soft". similar to my Oppo experience regarding noise.

2] Banding seen on some BD discs which I have never witnessed before on My Denon 4010.

3] average [lightweight/acceptable at the price] build quality- nowhere near as well built as the Oppo-93.

4] decent movie sound. Oppo-93 has a more open and dynamic sound.

5] cheap feeling remote control. Oppo-93's have an excellent, well made, well laid out remote.

6] colours look a tad undersaturated/very slightly washed out compare to the Denon 4010.

7] lip sync issue on BD's.

CD playback not tested.

I am returning it for a refund. Its v.good value at the price for people with non-kuro tv's. Kuro's tend to reveal more noise in the source/equipment than most.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  22. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Exchanging my BDP-LX54 today with a BDP-LX55 :clap: I really can't wait to get rid of the pile of **** that is the LX54.

This really is Pioneers last chance with me. This time last year, I had a Pioneer TV, receiver, BDP, DVD player and HDD recorder as well as a Pioneer stereo. At the moment I only have a reciever and BDP and if this one doesn't do the business I will be exchanging it, and the receiver, with another brands equipment.

The Lip sync issue mentioned above particularly worry me.
  23. usman24

usman24 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I noticed you own a 64d8000 plasma. It should look fine on that as that screen has excellent noise supression. My nephew has one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    I don't mind a noisy picture, as long as that is what the Director/film-maker intended it to look like. Just got it home and set it up. I can see what you mean about the Noise, Tried out Avatar 3D and wow, the noise is there but it looks perfect to me.

As you say the D8000 has great DNR so it can really make noisy images look pristine. Problem is it can make old movies look too pristine.

The 55 seems far superior to the 54, Load times are faster, more options and so far everything seems to work :thumbsup:

Gonna watch a few blus tonight I think
  25. HARRYSPADGE

HARRYSPADGE Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Funny that about the quality of the remote, I had to take my LX52 back as the mainboard has failed and Pioneer did not want to replace it, so I finally got an agreement to replace it with the new LX55 and the first thing I noticed was the poor quality of the remote compared to that of the LX52.
    The second thing I notice is that you have to point the remote directly at the LX55 to get a response, I did not have to do that with the LX52.
    I only had to point it in a general direction and it would work.
    The picture quality from Bluray is as good, maybe very slighlty better, but I have only watched one film so far on it.
    I haven't had time to try any of the other 'Features' yet so I can't comment on them, but my initial thought's are that I wish I still had the LX52, not only for the fact that the remote was better built and more user friendly but it also matched my receiver which the LX55 doesn't as they have gone back to the brushed effect front panel rather than the shiny piano black finish.
    One other point about the remote is that overall it's a little smaller. The buttons are also smaller and they seem to need to be pressed a lot harder than those on the LX52.
    All-in-all I'm not sure if I like this new LX55 and I've been a Pioneer fanatic for years - I think over the last few years they have dropped the ball in a big way ?
    It maybe time for me to stop buying their product's and I never thought I would hear myself say that :confused:
  26. Jiggsteruk

Jiggsteruk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I found this thread!! I have been looking at changing my BR player for the LX55 too as I am also on the LX52 but am now even more concerned about the lip sync issue. Im running a Pioneer SC-LX82 and a old gen Pioneer 43" plasma with Kef IQ speakers up front.

I use the Amp remote to control Blu Ray and the amp ( obviously ) I take it that I will still be able to do this on the LX55 as I wont want to use the supplied remote if its as bad as you are all saying.

Do you think a firmware update will fix the issues? I ask because I will have to use both HDMI out puts as the SC-LX82 is not 3D capable ( I know it was a 2K amp :mad: ) so I will use the HDMI in to the amp for sound and the primary HDMI out to the soon newly bought 3D TV.

I dont want to blow £350 and not be happy..:(
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  27. EA666

EA666 Member

Ratings:
    +56
    waiting to see how the player stacks up otherwise regrettably it's gonna have to be the new Denon DBP-2012..... shame as i really don't like having different looking brands in my set up :(
  28. justmitch

justmitch Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys
    Had my 55 now for a week and found it to be very good had a 54 the 55 much better no probs so far . no probs with cds so far. loading times better on blu-ray .Picture is very good and the sound in stereo is very good . i had lots of probs with 54 .only thing i have found so far is the remote sometims you have to press the butons very hard to make it work . got it running with the sc-lx 83 and panasonic 46 gt30 .So all good news so far just hope it stays that way
  29. justmitch

justmitch Member

Ratings:
    +11
    hi guys
    back again lol just want to say i have just had a super audio cd on and it sounds fantastic .
    Thanks
  30. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Had mine a few days now, after the 54, and I seriously can't fault it.