Pioneer AX2AV "HDMI NG"

Malky1903

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Getting a constant flashing on the display saying "HDMI NG". Can still use the amp except HDMI in/out and change settings but the message won't go away. Tried a factory reset but made no difference. A Google search isn't throwing up much. Anyone encountered this and know a fix without having to send it to a service centre?

I don't know what "NG" means on a Pioneer AVR but it usually means NO GOOD on radio gear!

I believe it indicates a handshaking error. Are you turning on all devices in the correct order? If you're using 1080p, are you using a category 2 HDMI cable? Have you tried a different cable in case yours is broken? Are oyu using the latest firmware?

I believe it indicates a handshaking error. Are you turning on all devices in the correct order? If you're using 1080p, are you using a category 2 HDMI cable? Have you tried a different cable in case yours is broken? Are oyu using the latest firmware?
What's the correct order? I'm connecting my PC to the amp via HDMI then from amp to PJ. Only using 720p as my PJ doesn't support 1080p. What's Cat 2 HDMI? Don't have another cable long enough to try. Everything worked OK yesterday but not today. I don't have the latest firmware for this particular amp.

Switched the amp on this morning and it's back to normal for now. Will phone Pioneer to find out what happened and see if it's likely to happen again.

What's the correct order?
First power up the TV / projector and wait until it's ready. Then the amp and wait, finally the source. The problem is that HDCP (copy protection) demands that each device validate that all devices "down the chain" are conformant. If you turn on your amp before the TV is ready, it cannot perform the handshake. This is of course extremely annoying.

What's Cat 2 HDMI [cable]?
There are two categories of HDMI cable, and the cable should be marked - if it isn't, then it's probably category 1. Category 1 cable is only certified for 75MHz which is adequate for 1080i, but not for 1080p. Since you have 720p, it shouldn't be an issue. For further information, see http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom