Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 1 box set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying, Setup & General Help' started by flash73, Feb 24, 2012.

1. flash73

flash73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Wondering if you could assist. Bought the BSC212 unit as we didn't want the bulk of seperates. Only problem is we only have the 1 HDMI cable to the tv. We are trying to use the pioneer as the switch (sales guy from Richer Sounds suggested this), which does work apart from the fact that we cannot get 5.1 sound from the sky HD box. I have an optical cable in but to use it loses the picture as the dvd player screen switches the hdmi input over. Is there a way of setting the system so that you can use the hdmi input for video and the optical input for audio?
    Cheers
    Flash
  2. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,150
    You will need to disable HDMI CEC (HDMI Control). Basically your TV is automatically selecting the home cinema input and overriding the Sky+HD (which lacks HDMI CEC) as it is sending a control signal.

HDMI :: Resources :: Knowledge Base
  3. flash73

flash73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, it's not the tv that is selecting the input it Is the DVD/surround player. I originally had it set up from my skyHD to a hdmi splitter (lounge and kitchen tv's). I took the skyHD output to the DVD input 1 then from the output to the splitter. It all worked apart from the fact I didn't get the 5.1 from the sky box as it was selected for hdmi input. Hence the reason why tried taking both the skyHD and DVD hdmi outputs to an auto switcher. Again it's the skyHD box which is the problem as it can't auto switch. Hope that makes sense
    Flash
  4. davepuma

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Regardless of which device is actually doing the switching, you need to turn it off.

If you connect the Sky+HD to the Pioneer via HDMI and optical, after selecting the HDMI input that the Sky+HD is connected to, try and then select the OPT input to see if the picture continues via HDMI. I seem to recall someone stating that an Onkyo setup could do that. It'w worth a shout.

However, if you have the Sky+HD box connected directly to the TV and separately via optical to the home cinema, you will need to turn HDMI CEC off as every time the home cinema is turned on, it will send a control signal and the TV will think you want to watch a bluray/DVD.
  5. flash73

flash73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried switching from the hdmi input to the optical input on the DVD when the sky+hd is connected throughout the DVD but this doesn't work. The optical sound comes through but the menu screen of the DVD is displayed on the tv.

The problem with going through the switch with both the sky+hd and DVD inputs is the auto switch doesn't work with sky.

The only option I can think of, which I'm trying to avoid due to the obvious redecoration scenario, is to either run another hdmi cable to the tv so I can have sky and DVD on separate inputs.
    Flash
  6. davepuma

Ratings:
    +3,150
    Have you tried the sky box in the first input on the switch? My oppo switch sets the priority to input 1, then input 2, then input 3. If a device is turned on, the auto switch changes input to the highest priority. It also has remote control. When I used it in my main setup it was hidden but my universal remote (harmony one) was programmed to send the correct input signal so that there were no issues.
  7. flash73

flash73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave. The sky is already in input 1 of my Neet auto switch. I can switch it over with the remote control,but trying to make it easier as the wife struggles with the tv/DVD/sky/hdmi switch remotes.
    A phone call to richer sounds this morning I think. If only the DVD/surround could allow me to use the hdmi inpu 1 and the optical input at the same time it would be great.
  8. davepuma

Ratings:
    +3,150
    So you have Sky+HD going to input 1 on the switch and the home cinema going to input 2 on the switch and a single HDMI cable going to the TV and if you have Sky selected then turn on the home cinema, the home cinema overrides the Sky box? Have I got that right?

Have you tried turning off HDMI CEC on all devices?

My top recommendation to simplify your setup would be to buy a universal remote e.g. Logitech Harmony One. One button press e.g. Watch Sky will result in the remote turning the TV, Sky and home cinema on and select input 1 on the switch, the HDMI input on the TV and the optical input on the home cinema. Job done.
  9. flash73

flash73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try turning off the hdmi cec on each of the devices.

Failing that it may be better, as you suggest, to get the all in one remote control.

I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers Dave