1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Studio - "Render error"

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by Renragevets, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Renragevets

Renragevets Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just edited my first movie on Pinnacle Studios 12 and want to record it back onto a tape in my Canon HV30.

When I go to "make movie" I click create and it starts to create the movie but I get a "render error" every time (when it gets to the 5th second of the movie).

I decided to delete the first scene to see if this helped and it did for a bit but I got a "render error" instead on the 9th second of the movie.... grrr.... really frustrating.

I'm new to all this so would really appreciate it if someone could explain what is going wrong and how I can avoid this from happening?

I loaded up the software's "demo project" and recorded the demo movie to my camcorder so I know I am doing nothing wrong as this worked fine (and the demo project had loads of effects in it etc). The movie I have made has a title page but not a lot else in terms of effects so not sure why I am having this problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Yes pinnacle can be very tempermental and i find pinnacle 12 ultimate the worst of the numbers i have used so far.
    sometimes it will not not render a movie for any reason ie it may not like an opening transition or a title and the only way i can render is remove it,
    i have never been able to put playing window title menus as they always crash,as i say single titles only crash at times.at times sound may render with some distortion in places but this is rare.
    to be fair when its not being tempermental its nice and easy to use and i have won prizes using it for some of them including my latest http://www.philmar.demon.co.uk/page4.html if you continue having trouble try reinstaling it.The trouble is i doubt if any software are trouble free pinnacles good points for me is that it will convert avchd to mpeg tape well and avchd pans have less jitter than some others i have tried,but for me making hdv films with it can be the good the bad and the ugly.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Or try something else
    My copy is trouble free but my experience with helping others s tha in some sysytems you may never find out just why its misbehaving
    Incidentally Im using it on a Windows 7 system running on a virtual OS (Sun Virtual Box) over Vista on a Q 9450 PC
  4. Renragevets

Renragevets Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's really frustrating because if I split the whole thing up into 20-30 second sections, they all get created fine with no render errors. Problem is when I try and bolt them together on the tape it's not a good result because the background music pauses at the end points and the movie is no longer a smooth polished finish.

Because there is no problem when I significantly reduce the length of the movie, am I right to presume the problem is simply that my laptop is not "good enough" even though I easily meet the minimum spec?

Laptop spec:
    3 gig RAM, 2.2 Ghz processor (AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Tech TL-64), 136 gig hard drive with 83 gig of space.
  5. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    MY laptop is as good as useless with pinnacle
    and it should be well up to the task,pinnacle 12 seems to either work or not with certain pcs, with my main pc i get lots of problems but the fact that it is fine for strait render conversions ie avchd to mpeg, avchd to bd and avchd discs is the reason i still use it but for making making proper films :suicide:
  6. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978

Did you read my post , at all..?:)
  7. Renragevets

Renragevets Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did!

But, I am not particularly tech savie and:

"Incidentally Im using it on a Windows 7 system running on a virtual OS (Sun Virtual Box) over Vista on a Q 9450 PC "

means absolutely nothing to me! Seriously!

I presume from your sarcastic post :) that you a "Q 9450 PC" is not particularly powerful?
  8. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Any percieved sarcasm is totally unintended..:rolleyes:
    Virtual Box is a virtual OS envirunment: This means you can "install" an operating system over another one . This allows you to test beta software ect without affecting the stability of your existing system or run , say a Linux OS and application within a PC or Mac environment
    Windows 7 in this case is Microsoft's " replacement" for Vista which is now in the advanced " beta " stage and is actualy usable

The reason for mentioning them is that Pinnacle Studio runing in that environment has nothing to interfere with it
    I have used Pinnacle Studio in virtualy al its versions and those before ver 9 ere very unstable. Those after ahve been better but some folk find it erratic. My experience is that its erratic behaviour is very often ( not always) neither related to inexperience with software nor hardware.
    Conflict with programs already on the PC may be the issue but it can often be hard to know which
    As such I often advice folk not to persist too hard to try and make it work

A Q9450 is an intel Core " Duo Quad core " mid range" proccesor , not state of the art but by no means lacking in power
    However it is way above Pinnacle Studios Minimm or recoommmended Specs and certainly OK for HDV..:D
  9. Renragevets

Renragevets Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Senu. I promise I have read your latest post :)

But in conclusion, are you saying I need to run the software in an environment where nothing can interfere with it?

And if so, what exactly do I need to do to do this?

As you have probably guessed, I am no computer geek... I mean expert...!

Any chance of a step-by-step explanation?
  10. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    What Im sayng is that you should not need to go to such drastic lengths to get any software to work ( unless you want to)
    Although I have used dual boot ( where you have 2 separate windows n one system) or virtual OS ,Its because I can
    It is seriously OTT if especially if you are a " technophobe" and perhaps tedious even if you are not
    A step by step explanation would take a long whie. Best done face o fae or a live conversation but I dot thinkits worth it just to get Studio working

All Im saying in a longwinded way is.. try something else( in the meantime), if your efforts to fix Pinacle Studio are not working

Roxio 2009 Suite ( has videowave) ,Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Ulead Video Studio 11.5 or Corel X2
  11. Renragevets

Renragevets Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you are saying. :thumbsup:

But, very annoying that I've forked out £50 (or whatever it cost) for a piece of software that just doesn't do what is says on the tin (for whatever reason)! :mad:

I will try and get my money back but not sure what amazon's policy is on returning software...

I will try one of your suggested software packages. Of you your suggestions, are any of them in particular known to be fairly "stable" when used with Vista on a laptop with my (not massively impressive) spec?
  12. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    You will be lucky to get your money back on software.
  13. JefUK

JefUK Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Open Studio 12 and delete all auxilliary files (File > Delete Auxilliary Files). Wait for it to background render the effects and transitions and then "Make Movie" again.

Failing that go to Pinnacle Forum and ask there. There are some helpful & knowledgeable people there who may have had the same problem.
  14. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    This is a good suggestion
    I used to be quite active on those forums till a few years a go but even they run aground from time to time
    The good thing though is if you know the solution has no fix yet you know when to stp trying. Also activities those forums often lead to patches from Pinnacle
    I still swear by Pinnacle Studios GUI but it can be a PITA when it plays up