Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Drop Out (BDP3000)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by secombe, Apr 10, 2010.

1. secombe

secombe Member

Ratings:
    +53
    We've had our Phillips BDP3000 for a few weeks now and are thrilled with the image quality, however very occasionally the picture would drop out for a second on our main TV (Samsung LE37B550), it will go black, the source details will pop up in the top right hand corner (e.g. HDMI 2) and it would come back again. The movie would still be be playing in the background as we would always miss a word or two.

A minor irritation at first (maybe once per film) but now it's doing it almost every minute. Oddly, it works fine on our little LG 19" in the bedroom.

I've tried several HDMI leads and each of the HDMI inputs on our Samsung, and I have other HDMI devices (such as XBox 360) which work absolutely fine with no picture drop out ever. Also worth mentioning I'm up to date with firmware.

Any thoughts? I can't decide if it's the TV or Blu Ray Player, for a start. Both work fine under different conditions, it appears to be that specific combo of TV and Blu Ray Player that is causing the problem.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    Your not the only one with this issue , it would seem the EDID levels coming from the player are low ( EDID is the handshake line ...this is why you see the player negotiating with the TV when the picture drops out ).

Second post here describes the same problem you are seeing ....

Philips BDP3000 Blu Ray Player - Tech Support Guy Forums

Note that this issue may not affect all TV and player combinations as some devices can recover from low signal levels much better than others.

I guess all you can really do is wait for a firmware upgrade to fix this issue.
    An inline booster may help , ask in the HDMI cables and switches forum and one of the suppliers on there should advise on some units.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. secombe

secombe Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for the info, that's not good news!

Would a 'high quality' HDMI lead potentially help? I'm using fairly cheap ones from Amazon at the moment.
  4. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    If the levels coming out of the player are low , no cable can improve that , and if the cable your using at the moment is relatively short , then its not very likely that an expensive cable will fix the problem.

You can get in line boosters which will raise the levels , this could very well be your best option.

See the booster unit here near the bottom of the page under "Other HDMI hardware and cables"

HDMI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Also if you post here there are a number of suppliers who may give you a better price.

HDMI Cables and Switches - AVForums.com
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dwigt

Dwigt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by "low"? Is it the strength of the whole HDMI signal or the frequency at which the EDID data are transmitted which lead the TV to assume there was a drop?
  6. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,239
    I mean voltage level , if you look at the diagram here ,

http://focus.ti.com/en/graphics/aap/general/tpd12s520Aref_evm1_clkout_eye_adj_2_5Gbps_3trim2.jpg

The dark blue area is the area the voltage level should never touch or the interface stops working , the orange lines are positive and negative voltage levels overlaid , in the case of the player , the levels are probably just outside the blue area , meaning some equipment can handle it , some cant. A booster should bring the levels up and away from the blue area.

A firmware update can also fix this.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dwigt

Dwigt Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That would explain a lot. I had to return another Philips player as it suffered these issues in addition to another handshake problem (PCM and Dolby Bitstream weren't properly signaled).

There are definitely very different behaviors depending on the screen. Mine (a 9500) would just go black on a SD source (Divx, DVD and maybe SD extras on a Blu-ray) just to go back a couple of seconds later or stay in that state for good. Another screen would suffer the issue, whatever the source was, every 10 minutes. The HDMI input might not have been sensible enough for the low output of the player while in my case it could work properly but the scaler chip could pump a little voltage when very sollicited and it would make the output sink below the threshold.

I hope it will take an easy fix to address that. It took months of requests for Philips to resolve their 24/23.976 Hz issue and many users had noticed it. Like this voltage question, it seems that Philips didn't do enough testing with TV screens from other brands.
  8. grolschie

grolschie Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I too have this issue. Latest firmware is installed. Same brand of TV - mines a 32" that few years old. Does anyone know if Philips are aware that this is a problem? And are they working on a solution?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. goodjay

goodjay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    iv the same problem guys.i have a sony bravia kdl-40ex503:mad:,anyword on the firmware update.
  10. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,642
    Your best bet is to e.mail Philips with a list of the problems,and ask them when the next firmware due,and keep sending them to you get a reply :)
  11. grolschie

grolschie Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I ended up returning mine. It seems like one possibility is that the socket could be loose for the cable? Philips support confirmed that a loose cable connection could cause this. One could try a locking HDMI cable perhaps?
  12. goodjay

goodjay Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. davidperezf

davidperezf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

i've got the same exact problem with my bdp3000, but this problem only started since i bought myself the philips HTR5224 7.1 A/v system.

it only happens when i am watching dvds or other sd contect, not for blurays that play with no issue. sometimes screen goes black, the bdp says "hdcp chk" and sometimes image comes back but audio never comes, other times neither image nor sound come back, but the player stills plaing th movie, as i can see from the display that keeps on counting time.

i have contacted philips tech support with no answer, they just say that the htr might be faulty, but i'm not conviced about this answer. i am afraid i will take my bdp3000 and the htr5224 to be serviced and will come back exactly in the same way saying that they are supposed to work perfectly...

does anyone has any clue about that?

i found on some forums people having the same problem but no one reported thatt it got solved :(

thanks a lot in advance! cheers!!!
  14. nomen

nomen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a picture drop out issue with my BDP3000 connected via HDMI to my Philips TV (32PFL7404H/12). It only happened when the BDP3000 was set to output at 1080P - when I switched it to 720P play back was ok.

I replaced the cheap HDMI cable I was using (this one from scan: Scan.co.uk: 1.8m Scan CDLHD-902 HDMI cable with swivel ends v1.3B Spec ) with one that I got from John Lewis and it now works fine outputting at 1080P and I haven't had any picture drop out issues since.
  15. davidperezf

davidperezf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have also replaced my hdmi dable for a better one, and it get a little better, but still video drops out sometimes

i have managed to work it, by selecting on my bdp3000 the NATIVE video output. I used to have it on 1080p or AUTO, and neither played correctly. since i have selected "native" resolution i had never have a picture drop out problem again!

hope this helps anyone

cheers
  16. bunyboy

bunyboy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but my parents are having this exact issue... has anyone figured out a fix for it yet? selecting the 'NATIVE' video output doesn't make any difference so I'm looking for a firmware upgrade or a replacement from Philips or John Lewis where it was purchased.

Any advice welcomed!
  17. davidperezf

davidperezf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

after i replaced the cable and thought everything was OK, the problem came back again and again...

I took the HTR several times to the official service desk of philips here in Madrid, and it came back several times just the same.

In the end, they told me that they couldn't get any replacement parts for it, so after one year, I got a refund of my money. My guess is that my item was not 'faulty', but the model is not well designed and every single receiver of this model, will have the same issue. Then it depends on your use, and the other equipment you have (I wodn a led tv, and a bluray all from philips) if you find that issue or not.

At last, I have bought a yamaha rxv567 and a set of whaferdale moviestar 5.1 speakers, and I am absolutely delighted by my new equipment. And it works perfectly, of course.

I guess that if you can get a refund, go for it, and buy another equip.

That's my piece of advice