1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phone for watching streamed tv on wireless network

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by dodo007, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dodo007

dodo007 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Any ideas what would be best and would i be able to output to a tv ?

Cheers
  2. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Many smartphones can do this, all they need is an appropriate connection or adapter, ideally outputting via a HDMI cable. Therefore the iPhone 4S or any device that supports HDMI/MHL.

The 'best' depends on your other requirements and your budget. The very best at the moment, IMO, would be the iPhone 4S or the Samsung Note with the relevant cables / adapters added as necessary.

Stick with iOS or Android and you'll have TVCatchup, iPlayer, YouTube and SkyGo (if you're a Sky customer) among other TV services to choose from.
  3. dodo007

dodo007 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    i have an ipad already would that be anygood ?
  4. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    For sure, all of those options I mentioned above work on the iPad. There is a BBC iPlayer App, then with TVCatchup you have most of the common channels covered. Throw in SkyGo if you're a Sky subscriber and you've got sports and movies added in too. If you run out, there is YouTube.

All of this is there and ready to go today, just add WiFi for connectivity and the HDMI adapter and cable for video out, if you think the iPad screen isn't big enough :)
  5. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Might be best to check which streaming services can output to a tv from iPad, I think it's disabled with SkyGo and Lovefilm. I should say that's just what I've read I haven't tried it myself.
  6. dodo007

dodo007 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Control arrgghhhh hey apple leave those kids alone

Apple do some nice kit but they do know how to milk it

Was trying to read up on the playbook for the same reason but they dont support sky go
    How about a mac mini ?