Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips HMP-2000 Media Streamer

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by Bluemoon, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just purchased a Philips HMP-2000/05 for sole purpose of watching the excellent Netflix on the bedroom TV. This thing is tiny, yet does all it claims whilst looking subtley brilliant.

Easy to use and setup, it is giving me an excellent picture on a cheap HD TV. Wireless is picking up my router located in the room below and it's been flawless throughout "The Eagle Has Landed".

Netflix has really impressed me, I've gone from paying £5 a month for a DVD from LoveFilm to watching Netflix on my Wii (front room), Desire S Phone when I want and now in the bedroom for an extra quid a month.

Am equally impressed by this quality little box, well finished and yet easy to hide if you feel the need.
  2. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Certainly looks like one of the cheapest Netflix players only £53 on Amazon UK.

From the Real video support I'd wager it's a Realtek player similar to previous Philips models which were also Realtek based. It appears it has no ethernet support only wireless which is quite unusual.
  3. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Limited if your not a Netflix subscriber I'd say but handles loads of music/video formats via USB/NAS. Wireless is excellent, not dropped out yet and it's on the floor above my router. Listening to any old music via Youtube whilst in the shower is a plus too. Hope Netflix don't bang their prices up but am still on a free month and me, wifey and kids have hammered it so far so looks like it's staying, much cheaper than Sky and a nice bump up for a Freeview HD Viewer.
  4. estefano

estefano Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to specify DNS addresses in this player?
  5. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    hey bud i have a few questions as i want to buy this asap but need to be certain it has the features i want.

what is the interface like?

does it display album art when browsing music?

can you browse any shares/ folders on the network?

does it have 4 on demand and iplayer?

if you can let me know and help me make up my mind i would be most grateful.
  6. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
  7. mwarnes

mwarnes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This does look really good, given the range of formats it can support.

Looking through the manual though, it doesn't seem to mention how to connect up to a NAS or if it is DLNA compatible.

Does anyone know if this will work with a NAS/DLNA server connected over WiFi (as there isn't an Ethernet input)?
  8. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,801
    Maybe Bluemoon can say otherwise but it don't think it can play any media over the network, I think it's a Realtek 1055 player which is USB only with wifi bolted on for the Netflix part. You can see the sparse home screen here just Youtube/Netflix and USB.
  9. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    my god you are right...

i cant understand why a company would release a media player with wifi capabilities and then restict media playback to usb only. i can guarantee that if it did playback media files over the network it would sell at least twice as many units than it will one of whom would have been me. however there isnt a cat in hells chance that i will buy something that nearly all modern tvs can do on there own anyway.

on the plus side after reading the manual i have discovered that you can change the name of the player (an essential function that all modern media playback devices should have).

it reminds me of the sony effort that restricted the files it would playback over the network to mpeg2 mp3 and jpeg. total madness and commercial suicide. this deserves (like the sony pile of junk) to sink like a stone. with products like these it is no wonder these archaic old electronics companies are losing billions of dollars a year.

imho this is a total waste of the planets resources and i actually dont know why anyone would choose this over the newly released wdtv live which can do so much more for only an extra 25 quid.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. mwarnes

mwarnes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From the sparse home screen, I can't see where BBC iPlayer is either - it is widely reported on the tech sites that it supports this - unless it would appear under "Internet Services".
    Given that it's new, this may be a manual omission.

Still would like a definitive answer on the NAS. Even the new Roku provides a means to access a NAS but it is really limited on file formats.
  11. awink1

awink1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +253
    From what I can see on the Philips Website, only the 5000 and 7000 can stream video from a network and do so only via DNLA.

There's also a 3000 which adds WMP support.
  12. mattyduk

mattyduk Member

Ratings:
    +38
    does it remember the netflix credentials or do you have to enter the username/password every day like the god awful wdtv live. And as someone else said, can you also change the DNS to use the US version of netflix ?
  13. dvdric

dvdric Member

Ratings:
    +4
    And as someone else said, can you also change the DNS to use the US version of netflix ?
    Can Anybody answer this question please
  14. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Can't amend the DNS to use the US Netflix (at least I can't find any way to do so). Also can't access shares over wifi on a NAS. Also, no iPlayer but I believe this is coming (but could be a while :)

It does remember the Netflix credentials though so you only need enter them on initial set up.